Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton is hopeful of regaining Adam Saad

Jack Martin's hamstring injury is also believed to be minor

Curnow (ankle) and Harry McKay (quad) are also said to be 50-50 chances

Orazio Fantasia trained fully last Wednesday but ultimately wasn't cleared to play.

Caleb Marchbank is also expected to be available for selection this weekend.

Carlton is hopeful of regaining Adam Saad

Jack Martin's hamstring injury is also believed to be minor

Curnow (ankle) and Harry McKay (quad) are also said to be 50-50 chances

Orazio Fantasia trained fully last Wednesday but ultimately wasn't cleared to play.

Caleb Marchbank is also expected to be available for selection this weekend.
Looks like a recipe for another couple of 'in-game' soft tissue breakdowns.

Looks like a recipe for another couple of 'in-game' soft tissue breakdowns.

Yep. Extremely uncomfortable with this

Saad does his second Hammy this year and is expected to be back in 2 weeks?
Harry a calf and only needs a week off?
Charlie been hampered for weeks and makes it worse and a week off fixes it?
Since when does Martin have a "minor" soft tissue injury

If they are 50/50 as reported and need until the weekend to prove themselves then don't pick them. If good enough we should win anyway

Get through to finals, they get an extra fortnight's rest and then should be fine and freshened up

Last edited:

If they are 50/50 as reported and need until the weekend to prove themselves then don't pick them. If good enough we should win anyway

Get through to finals, they get an extra fortnight's rest and then should be fine and frshened up
This is all assuming our high performance team have even the slightest clue what they're doing... We've had more Hammies this year than wins, thank god Cook has moved them on

Get through to finals, they get an extra fortnight's rest and then should be fine and frshened up
The issue is we lose this and highly likely we don't make the 8. Club is under pressure. Repeat soft tissue injuries are a joke to be honest and clearly the worst in the comp.

It's quite the conundrum for the club.

We are better with Curnow, Saad and McKay in the side (notwithstanding the terrible way we use them). We have a must win game against St Kilda. Win that and we have a 2 week break to get back to something approaching full strength for the elimination final. If we don't play those 50/50 guys and lose, we don't get to see them at all for the rest of the year.

If we play them and lose, they'll be fine for next year even if they get injured again. Play them, they get injured and we win, we go into the finals understrength.

It's pick your poison for the club.

Agreed, only play those that are 100% fit.
We've seen what happened when the bench was full of injured players :mad:

Another 2 who are perennially injured...

Cuningham, Marchbank, Martin, Williams, McGovern, Cerra...

What a team we'd be if they could all remain fit...

Need to really getting rid of these blokes this off season. Cerra's contract will save him... maybe Williams in the same boat.

Gov is really becoming a big concern for me too.

Another 2 who are perennially injured...

Cuningham, Marchbank, Martin, Williams, McGovern, Cerra...

What a team we'd be if they could all remain fit...

Need to really getting rid of these blokes this off season. Cerra's contract will save him... maybe Williams in the same boat.

Gov is really becoming a big concern for me too.
Cerra was top 5 in the B&F last year. He has earned a bit of time, sometimes players just have years from hell. Hopefully a new performance team will get him back on track.

Cuningham, Marchbank, and Martin however they need to get a plan to Centrelink ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't trust anyone let alone my own tipping

I am only hypothesising as I don't know extent of injuries. Only told that most "unlikely"

As I said, tough call but I can't believe any of these listed players would be going in fit for this must win game.

Personally, I would NOT be picking anyone who isn't close to 100% fit. I don't care how good. We need to make finals with players fresh and ready. Not playing Saad McKay Charlie etc should ensure that

I reckon we can win without them if we play with energy and game plan we did last Sunday

Just my take

By the same token these guys have had 14 days recovery.

That’s how I look at it.

Just sayin’

I don’t have the answers to this conundrum.

But I see it this way. The purpose of what the team are putting together is to compete for a premiership not just to play finals. Select the best and least risky option for this week (and that may include picking a player at 80-90% but not likely to inflame a niggle), but with the principal view to have as healthy a squad as possible for week one in finals and having a genuinely competitive team for the month of finals.

Get through to finals, they get an extra fortnight's rest and then should be fine and freshened up
Yep, but Harry was a quad and he's the only one I would possibly consider if at least around the 80% mark.

Quads are notoriously difficult, just ask Jordan Ridley.
There is no way, with the discomfort H showed, he’ll be right to go in 2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As a supporter, under no circumstances should we be risking the 50/50’s unless we’re in a prelim. The likelihood these players even make it through the game is almost zero given their history. Replace McGovern and Williams if they don’t get up and let the team who played in our second win in 8(?) games compete for the win.

But knowing the absolute savaging the club will get if we miss finals, I believe we’ll be sending out any/all of the big guns if they can take a single step without collapsing.

Latest Injury List Update 20th August …

UPDATES on seven Blues leading into Round 24

Mitch McGovern (hamstring)

• Experienced some hamstring tightness during game against West Coast
  • Availability: Test
Corey Durdin (shoulder)
  • Has pulled up well from his shoulder incident on the weekend
  • Availability: test
Adam Saad (hamstring)
- Availability: test

Charlie Curnow (ankle)
- Availability: test