Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s your opinion but the fact remains that Docherty is still targeting a return for the first final. Whether he gets selected or whether we even make it remains to be seen. But you seem to be completely dismissing the fact that he’s worked hard to get where he is and he’s very close to actually playing.

Also keep in mind not all ACLs are the same and we do not know his exact diagnosis or what treatment they used. What we do know is he played the whole game despite having done the ACL and it took another two days for the surprising diagnosis to come through.

Plus having him so close to playing probably gives an extra boost to this teammates knowing he’s working hard to join them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If it was all about how hard an athlete worked and how meticulous they were in their rehab from an ACL then we would have seen a lot of athletes back sooner. The science (and there’s an abundance of it) suggests that 6 months is too soon to be back. Even 9 months like McStay is extremely rare. Given his age and his ACL history I’d be absolutely beyond shocked if they risked bringing him back early. It’s a pipe dream.

Is this a Bluemour? Are you playing?

I was about to be the smartarse that posted it in the “bluemour file no discussion” thread.

But I am saving my suspension for when our seasons ends.

Canyouhearthedrums is confirmed as Matty Cottrell
Definitely would have been the Matty Cottrell of my Z grade Ammo team back in the day. Which is to say the only one who could run 100M without collapsing. (120m)

Seriously though, I did a literature search in my lunch hour and did find one report of an Italian professional footballer who got back in 90 days post reconstruction. The issue is that, as Blue by Blood says, if there was a reasonable pathway back within 6 months I think we would have found it by now given the amount of data, $$$ etc. I love the bloke but it's pie in the sky.

Definitely would have been the Matty Cottrell of my Z grade Ammo team back in the day. Which is to say the only one who could run 100M without collapsing. (120m)

Seriously though, I did a literature search in my lunch hour and did find one report of an Italian professional footballer who got back in 90 days post reconstruction. The issue is that, as Blue by Blood says, if there was a reasonable pathway back within 6 months I think we would have found it by now given the amount of data, $$$ etc. I love the bloke but it's pie in the sky.
Speaking of Pies, Tyson Goldsack returned after about 5 months in 2018, and ended up playing all 4 finals games for the Pies (the only games at AFL level, in additional to a couple VFL games). So there is precedence.

RE: Doc, it will be half a year out by the time a ball bounced for any final, and every injury has different complications. There are also new non-graft surgical and non-surgical techniques available today, the non-surgical option is being tested here in Australia, including out of Melbourne Uni.

I'd imagine said non-surgical (bracing) techniques are complementary with any surgical effort, so it's possible recovery could have been sped up substantially.

Maybe a brace will be involved as well, but there's of course AFL guidelines around what that looks like. Materials engineering is moving faster than ever though, which might allow for innovative designs that still fall within said rules.

Can Charlie play with an ankle brace on? Flexibility and AFL approval wise?
Not sure what the guidelines are at all, but would imagine it would need to fit in the boot. If it's not approved, he can't wear it, and will be told as much when an umpire inspects it.

Charlie will need to be careful it's secure through the game as well, as he can be instructed to leave the field if it poses a risk to others and the opposition will be awarded a free kick if he fails to do so.

If he still refuses, we can actually forfeit the match.

There is no way Docherty will be avaiable, the turn around of an ACL injury isn't that quick.
It wouldn't be the first time. Goldsack did it 5 or 6 years ago iirc and didn't Liberatore do it in the 90s?

They're obviously the anomaly and not the normal rule, but it isn't impossible. He's been in non-contact training for a month or so now, hasn't been an update since in regards to full training. Having said that you'd think he'd need more than a week or 2s full training to be viable so it's a long shot no doubt.

My friend reckons we are too conservative with ACL rehab in Aussie rules (he has worked in the elite system)

He has had blokes at his club be ready to go at the 8 month point but they’d lacked the fitness required to play

If Doc is fit enough it is not that unrealistic that he could play an EF

I was about to be the smartarse that posted it in the “bluemour file no discussion” thread.

banned ban GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't be the first time. Goldsack did it 5 or 6 years ago iirc and didn't Liberatore do it in the 90s?

They're obviously the anomaly and not the normal rule, but it isn't impossible. He's been in non-contact training for a month or so now, hasn't been an update since in regards to full training. Having said that you'd think he'd need more than a week or 2s full training to be viable so it's a long shot no doubt.
Go back and have a look.
Goldsack 2018, played VFL before senior selection.

His output was not great in return.

Anyhow, dont we have to make finals first

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Good call.

Just watched Voss’ press conference and he was asked about Doch and he explicitly said that Doch is close, he’s in the main training group, and that if he’s ready to play he would love to give him that opportunity

So we have to first make it to the Finals and then Doch has to pass the remaining hurdles in just two weeks - but if that happens it sounds like they will play him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Didn't sound that way to me
He said that he was training in the main group and continually knocking on Vossy's door telling him that he's ready to go.

Hard to read it any other way other than Doc is prepared to take the risk and the club is thinking about taking that risk.

Might be a moot point anyway if we don't make it.

He said that he was training in the main group and continually knocking on Vossy's door telling him that he's ready to go.

Hard to read it any other way other than Doc is prepared to take the risk and the club is thinking about taking that risk.

Might be a moot point anyway if we don't make it.
Just sounded to me like Voss happy to give it air and not wanting to rule it out but did make a couple of qualifying remarks like 'integrating into established team' etc that hinted that there'd be a few complications if push came to shove.

Just sounded to me like Voss happy to give it air and not wanting to rule it out but did make a couple of qualifying remarks like 'integrating into established team' etc that hinted that there'd be a few complications if push came to shove.
That sounded to me very much like "if we make it there will be a lot of players coming back into the team so it will be hard to find places for everyone" not "I don't think that it will happen"

Imagine Doc coming on as sub in the last quarter of a big final. Every player would be prepared to walk a mile on Nigel Smart hot coals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back