Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not solely here, but generally across the wider web, the criticism I've seen for the clubs handling of Walsh's injury feels a little odd.

Did people want us to put him under the knife immediately or what? It wasn't as though they were sitting on their hands and then realised "oh shit, seasons coming, better do something!". Surgery isn't a small thing, especially on the spine, why not try every more conservative avenue before having surgery on such a delicate area?

Further is Sams long term health on a personal level. How many former players have to tell us that as soon as you have surgery you're never the same? Even if it is all successful they still say they're never quite the same and often wonder if they needed the surgery or if they would've been better taking the slightly longer recovery to heal naturally. Imagine that same feeling but in your back.

Sure I want him to be fit ASAP as a selfish fan but we're talking about a young mans back here, anyone with disc damage could tell you that shib ain't fun as you get older. Go conservative until you can't imo, which seems to be what they did.

Last edited:
Not solely here, but generally across the wider web, the criticism I've seen for the clubs handling of Walsh's injury a little odd.

Did people want us to put him under the knife immediately or what? It wasn't as though they were sitting on their hands and then realised "oh s**t better do something!". Surgery isn't a small thing, especially on the spine, why not try every more conservative avenue before having surgery? Especially in such a delicate area.

Further for Sams long term health on a personal level. How many former players have to tell us that as soon as you have surgery you're never quite the same? Even if it is all successful they still say they're never quite the same and often wonder if they needed the surgery or if they'd taken the slightly longer recovery to heal naturally.

Sure I want him to be fit ASAP as a selfish fan but we're talking about a young mans back here, anyone with disc damage could tell you that shib ain't fun as you get older. Go conservative until you can't.

I think alot of the negativity comes from an overall view that we are poor at injury management based on our recent history. As a result supporters are less inclined to trust the club has done the right thing.

I think alot of the negativity comes from an overall view that we are poor at injury management based on our recent history. As a result supporters are less inclined to trust the club has done the right thing.
I understand that, but I don't see how this could be seen as mismanagement is my point.

I understand that, but I don't see how this could be seen as mismanagement is my point.
Could be argued as mismanagement because surgery might've been an option during the end of the season and after the season, but they chose against it and now here we are a couple months later with Walsh being set-back extra months. However, it's all unknown because no one knows the detail surrounding the conversations that were had.

Could be argued as mismanagement because surgery might've been an option during the end of the season and after the season, but they chose against it and now here we are a couple months later with Walsh being set-back extra months. However, it's all unknown because no one knows the detail surrounding the conversations that were had.
If he didn't end up needing surgery and it healed through a conservative method that would've been the best possible outcome so going for that before surgery is entirely fair. Sure hindsight is excellent and we now know that's not the case and he's a few months behind where he'd have been had he gone right under the knife, but that doesn't mean it was poor management.

Poor management would be rushing in for surgery that may not have been needed in order to get 6 extra games out of someone right now at the detriment of their long term health. I'm glad the club tried to do the absolute best thing for Sam the human as opposed to what gets Sam the business asset back soonest.

Last edited:
If he didn't end up needing surgery and it healed through a conservative method that would've been the best possible outcome so going for that before surgery is entirely fair. Sure hindsight is excellent and we now know that's not the case and he's a few months behind where he'd have been had he gone right under the knife, but that doesn't mean it was poor management.

Poor management would be rushing in for surgery that may not have been needed in order to get 6 extra games out of someone right now at the detriment of their long term health. I'm glad the club tried to do the absolute best thing for Sam the human as opposed to what gets the business asset back soonest.
Are you lost? You are way too rational and making far too much sense for these forums. :D

It is expected here that every competent person or organisation operates with a crystal ball.

This 100%

The club has a horribly record of mismanaging players. Last year, it was Cunningham (injured his ACL in May 2021 and missed the entirety of the season), Ed Curnow missing an entire season after a medial ligament strain, Josh Honey and Sam Philp going MIA, and more. Even if you allow for the usual footy injuries you can add in McGovern, Martin, Williams, McDonald (and to a lesser extent Hewitt) being unable to get fit, Pittonet coming back clearly too early (and contributing to a horrendous loss vs Adelaide). Most importantly, with two critical games at the end of the season needed to make finals, we had the longest injury list in the league and had to play players out of position just to compete.

Prior to that you can go back to Charlie Curnow missing 2.5 years. Sam Docherty missing 2 years with pre-season ACL tears, everything Caleb Marchbank (5 games in 4 years), evertyhing Tom Williamson and more (and if you really want to you can get to Kreuzer, Waite, Whitnall etc)

I'm sure there's a good excuse and a 'we don't have a crystal ball' on each and every one of these players but the results speak for themselves. We had the longest injury list in the league last year, including a host of recurrent injuries and players who simply couldn't get on the park, and in doing so wasted a year when we should have been in top 4 contention (and yes, a team with the Brownlow and Coleman medalists, the reigning coleman medallist and three other All-Australian players in their prime, all playing 19 or more games SHOULD be in top 4 contention).

The club has to go a long way to go before it gets the benefit of the doubt on anything from me... recruiting and list management, coaching, whatever you like, we've been poorly run for 25 years and fitness and injury management is a big part of that.

And then to see Sam Walsh, our most important player, following a similar path... rushed back last year, carried an injury and looked off his best all year, injured and unable to play our biggest match in 7 years, then 'managed' in the off season before requiring extensive surgery that will have him out for at least a month (and lets be serious, based on our track record i'd say we are lucky to see him by midseason...)

Charlie the day after Andrew Russell said not to walk on any surface ever again - just in case..................Russell later said "so many people on social media can't all be wrong".........

l_116483_031514_updates.jpg

This 100%

The club has a horribly record of mismanaging players. Last year, it was Cunningham (injured his ACL in May 2021 and missed the entirety of the season), Ed Curnow missing an entire season after a medial ligament strain, Josh Honey and Sam Philp going MIA, and more. Even if you allow for the usual footy injuries you can add in McGovern, Martin, Williams, McDonald (and to a lesser extent Hewitt) being unable to get fit, Pittonet coming back clearly too early (and contributing to a horrendous loss vs Adelaide). Most importantly, with two critical games at the end of the season needed to make finals, we had the longest injury list in the league and had to play players out of position just to compete.

Prior to that you can go back to Charlie Curnow missing 2.5 years. Sam Docherty missing 2 years with pre-season ACL tears, everything Caleb Marchbank (5 games in 4 years), evertyhing Tom Williamson and more (and if you really want to you can get to Kreuzer, Waite, Whitnall etc)

I'm sure there's a good excuse and a 'we don't have a crystal ball' on each and every one of these players but the results speak for themselves. We had the longest injury list in the league last year, including a host of recurrent injuries and players who simply couldn't get on the park, and in doing so wasted a year when we should have been in top 4 contention (and yes, a team with the Brownlow and Coleman medalists, the reigning coleman medallist and three other All-Australian players in their prime, all playing 19 or more games SHOULD be in top 4 contention).

The club has to go a long way to go before it gets the benefit of the doubt on anything from me... recruiting and list management, coaching, whatever you like, we've been poorly run for 25 years and fitness and injury management is a big part of that.

And then to see Sam Walsh, our most important player, following a similar path... rushed back last year, carried an injury and looked off his best all year, injured and unable to play our biggest match in 7 years, then 'managed' in the off season before requiring extensive surgery that will have him out for at least a month (and lets be serious, based on our track record i'd say we are lucky to see him by midseason...)
But you see, if there's a "good excuse" for them all, then isn't that your answer?

I could go into every player (I really could) but I can't be bothered. Most of your first paragraph are guys who came into the club injury prone and shockingly have continued to be injury prone. Charlie and Doc with their knees were no issue of club management and mostly were external surgeons and amazing back luck (slipping on tiles? Kicking the footy?). Some of the others listed are just wrong, Ed didn't miss the whole year with a MCL for example nor Cuningham with the ACL.

Then it's a lot of impact injuries i.e. Pitto and his knee, Weiters and his shoulder- they have nothing to do with club management. It might sound like an excuse but how exactly does the training staff looking after Pittonet better from Monday-Friday help him handle taking a knee flush on the PCL better? Or make Weiters not try to bump when in no position to do so with sound technique?

But you see, if there's a "good excuse" for them all, then isn't that your answer?

I could go into every player (I really could) but I can't be bothered. Most of your first paragraph are guys who came into the club injury prone and shockingly have continued to be injury prone. Charlie and Doc with their knees were no issue of club management and mostly were external surgeons and amazing back luck (slipping on tiles? Kicking the footy?). Some of the others listed are just wrong, Ed didn't miss the whole year with a MCL for example nor Cuningham with the ACL.

Then it's a lot of impact injuries i.e. Pitto and his knee, Weiters and his shoulder- they have nothing to do with club management. It might sound like an excuse but how exactly does the training staff looking after Pittonet better from Monday-Friday help him handle taking a knee flush on the PCL better? Or make Weiters not try to bump when in no position to do so with sound technique?

I don't buy those excuses at all. Too many excuses across too many players, for too long a time period.

Injury management is complex, but to simplify: fit, healthy players who have been properly conditioned suffer less muscle and less contact injuries than players who aren't quite fit. This is particularly the case for players returning from injury, who are often (by nature) underconditioned in various ways, and that's where the role of fitness staff is so critical (planning a recovery program that gets them 'right' to play while being restricted, thus preventing secondary injuries).

Ed Curnow managed 2 VFL matches for the year, and his primary injury was a MCL strain. Cuningham suffered secondary injuries, but as above, the primary injury was an ACL. Pittonet's knee was bad luck (and perhaps technique), but returning too early vs Adelaide wasn't. Charlie and Doc and all the others... this is where our fitness staff have failed time and again. Would Charlie still have slipped on a tile or whatever caused the second injury if his strength, balance and everything else were better? Actually, i think that could have been avoided. Similarly, Docherty re-injuring himself kicking a footy (i think) - again, if his strength and everything else is right, then i don't think that happens. We sit in a fairly unique space of taking far LONGER than other clubs to bring players back (every 2 week injury seems to end up 4, aside from Walsh) but also having a stupid level of reinjury.

Even in specific cases of 'players being injury prone at other clubs' it doesn't hold up: Jarrad Waite missed at least 6 matches in 8 straight seasons at carlton. He left and went to North and immediately played 23. Jack Martin had some injuries at Gold Coast but averaged 18.5 games in the 4 seasons before joining. He's since gone 15-11-12 which is astonishing for a player who hasn't had a major contact injury. Zac Williams had two interupted years in the 5 before joining us, but also had 3 seasons where he played every match (and GWS are probbably the only club that rival us for poor fitness practice). Hewitt played 6 seasons at the swans and had 1 affected by injury (2020, which was fairly exceptional in terms of training practice) alongside a basically perfect run otherwise. Even Jack Newnes played every match for 6 straight years at St Kilda, then missed 5 and then 3 in his first at Carlton (at age 27 and 28).

It's too many players, too frequently, for too long.

I don't buy those excuses at all. Too many excuses across too many players, for too long a time period.

Injury management is complex, but to simplify: fit, healthy players who have been properly conditioned suffer less muscle and less contact injuries than players who aren't quite fit. This is particularly the case for players returning from injury, who are often (by nature) underconditioned in various ways, and that's where the role of fitness staff is so critical (planning a recovery program that gets them 'right' to play while being restricted, thus preventing secondary injuries).

Ed Curnow managed 2 VFL matches for the year, and his primary injury was a MCL strain. Cuningham suffered secondary injuries, but as above, the primary injury was an ACL. Pittonet's knee was bad luck (and perhaps technique), but returning too early vs Adelaide wasn't. Charlie and Doc and all the others... this is where our fitness staff have failed time and again. Would Charlie still have slipped on a tile or whatever caused the second injury if his strength, balance and everything else were better? Actually, i think that could have been avoided. Similarly, Docherty re-injuring himself kicking a footy (i think) - again, if his strength and everything else is right, then i don't think that happens. We sit in a fairly unique space of taking far LONGER than other clubs to bring players back (every 2 week injury seems to end up 4, aside from Walsh) but also having a stupid level of reinjury.

Even in specific cases of 'players being injury prone at other clubs' it doesn't hold up: Jarrad Waite missed at least 6 matches in 8 straight seasons at carlton. He left and went to North and immediately played 23. Jack Martin had some injuries at Gold Coast but averaged 18.5 games in the 4 seasons before joining. He's since gone 15-11-12 which is astonishing for a player who hasn't had a major contact injury. Zac Williams had two interupted years in the 5 before joining us, but also had 3 seasons where he played every match (and GWS are probbably the only club that rival us for poor fitness practice). Hewitt played 6 seasons at the swans and had 1 affected by injury (2020, which was fairly exceptional in terms of training practice) alongside a basically perfect run otherwise. Even Jack Newnes played every match for 6 straight years at St Kilda, then missed 5 and then 3 in his first at Carlton (at age 27 and 28).

So many assumptions and or incorrect information

Let's start with Doc ( Throw Cuningham into this scenario). Could you name any club that hasn't had a player suffer multiple knee injuries and or secondary injuries from a previous ACL?.

Ed Curnow missed 1 game in 4 years, but your questioning the club when as a 33 year old succumbs to soft tissue injuries

Pitto, like Grundy, missed the season with a PCL, then had an ankle injury

Jack Martin played 2 full season out of 6 at GC, not sure why you would you use average games

Hewett, played 6 games in 2020 (while the Swans were aware, managing his buldging disc), before deciding to operate. Sounds very Walsh like doesn't it

Plenty other examples too

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many assumptions and or incorrect information

Let's start with Doc ( Throw Cuningham into this scenario). Could you name any club that hasn't had a player suffer multiple knee injuries and or secondary injuries from a previous ACLs?.

Ed Curnow missed 1 game in 4 years, but your questioning the club when as a 33 year old succumbs to soft tissue injuries

Pitto, like Grundy, missedtge season with a PCL, then had an ankle injury

Jack Martin played 2 full season out of 6 at GC, not sure why you would you average games

Hewett, played 6 games in 2020 (while the Swans were aware, managing his buldging disc), before deciding to operate. Sounds very Walsh like doesn't it

Plenty other examples too

Can you name another club that has had their captain miss back to back seasons due to off-season ACL injuries, then had their breakout KPF miss 2.5 seasons with back to back to back knee injuries? Can you name other clubs with players who have just disappeared with injury (like Cuningham or Philp) for such extended lengths? Again, with us it is too frequent, too often, with too many players.

Ed Curnow - yep, the fittest player on the list and a strong record of keeping himself fit. Hence his 2022 is particularly concerning because as soon as he copped a knee injury, it was followed by further problems. Pitto - not sure what your point is? He came back and reinjured himself, as other players did?

Martin - was mismanaged at GC, partly because they were a shambles too. However, I used average because after his first 2 years (as an 19yo and 20yo) he managed to play 22, 22, 15 and 16 games. Not a perfect record, but still 4 years where he was reasonably healthy. At Carlton: 15-11-12 = demonstrably worse, even if you just count his last 2 years at GC.

Hewett: yep, had one year in 6 at Sydney where he was injured. That was the year he couldn't train properly due to COVID issues. Otherwise, I think he missed 3 matches total after debuting. At Carlton - 7 matches missed in his first year,

Everything there is exactly my point. Our fitness and injury management is poor, and players are more frequently and consistently injured, and reinjured, than at other clubs.

Not solely here, but generally across the wider web, the criticism I've seen for the clubs handling of Walsh's injury feels a little odd.

Did people want us to put him under the knife immediately or what? It wasn't as though they were sitting on their hands and then realised "oh s**t, seasons coming, better do something!". Surgery isn't a small thing, especially on the spine, why not try every more conservative avenue before having surgery on such a delicate area?

Further is Sams long term health on a personal level. How many former players have to tell us that as soon as you have surgery you're never the same? Even if it is all successful they still say they're never quite the same and often wonder if they needed the surgery or if they would've been better taking the slightly longer recovery to heal naturally. Imagine that same feeling but in your back.

Sure I want him to be fit ASAP as a selfish fan but we're talking about a young mans back here, anyone with disc damage could tell you that shib ain't fun as you get older. Go conservative until you can't imo, which seems to be what they did.
Completely. It would seem it has been managed well, and given the quantum of $ involved on both sides it is not as if the local Sharman is taking a good look at things. However BF at play, round up the pitchforks and let's get to work.

Thank you for simplifying it, I needed that.

Less contact injuries sure, but not none. Weiters bump was outright poor technique, he wasn't in position and was chasing his man but last second thought he'd go a bump and was woefully unpositioned for it and as a result got injured. Poor decision resulting in poor technique caused the injury. Pitto was unlucky, ruckmen jump that way hundreds of times a season and unluckily on this occasion copped one in a bad spot.

Perhaps Pitto came back early, that's a fair argument, but it's not as though he was a huge liability. Obviously vs Adelaide he was exposed, but aside from that we were much better with him in the clearance. Cripps for example probably doesn't win the Brownlow without his return. So yes maybe a little early, but not an outright failure either.

Charlie and Doc are cases of mismanagement but not from the club. If I recall correctly the surgery Charlie had to put screws in his knee was done poorly and resulted in further injury. Bad luck, not the clubs fault. Slipping on tiles etc. at home, not clubs fault (maybe it is, they should've provided the builders with non slip tiles..), then just kicking the footy with his brother - not the clubs fault. All caused by playing basketball - yet again, away from the club.

I believe Doc also had issues with his surgery. If I recall it was that his initial reconstruction of the ACL was done poorly, specifically the replaced ligament was way too tight and was always a liability to go again. This wasn't known until the second surgery and was supposedly a point of surprise at how poor it actually was. Not the clubs fault and not due to the clubs management.

Waite played 23, then 14 - 10 - 14 with North. Yep you're right we definitely mismanaged him, North got 3 whole seasons of sub 15 games out of him with their elite staff. Puts us to shame.

Hewett had known issues with his back before coming here and has missed time with it. It's going to be something ongoing and was part of the reason Sydney wouldn't match what he wanted.

Jack Martin missed plenty of time at the Suns. I'm a Suns member so know this more than most. He frequently missed with niggly soft tissue injuries, he has had his professionalism questioned over the journey as well - soft tissue injuries are a tell-tale sign of lack of professionalism.

Zac Williams has had the same criticisms levelled at him and has also missed with soft tissue injuries.

Mitch McGovern famously has had this criticism levelled at him his whole career, and his body shape at times has shown it, and often misses with soft tissue injuries.

So players with a history of having questionable professionalism having soft tissue injuries isn't a fault of the club, the players also have to take some responsibility and if they're half arsing the training and preparation then that's on them, and it's why they get so heavily criticised for it by coaches, former players and the media.

Can you name another club that has had their captain miss back to back seasons due to off-season ACL injuries

Not sure what being the captain has to do with injury, but Alex Johnson, Anthony Morabito, Jon Patton, Alex Woodward, Daniel Menzel
Then had their breakout KPF miss 2.5 seasons with back to back to back knee injuries?
See above

Can you name other clubs with players who have just disappeared with injury (like Cuningham or Philp) for such extended lengths? Again, with us it is too frequent, too often, with too many players.

Nick Coffield

Ed Curnow - yep, the fittest player on the list and a strong record of keeping himself fit. Hence his 2022 is particularly concerning because as soon as he copped a knee injury, it was followed by further problems.

Again, missed 1 game in 4 years, and suffered a knee and soft tissue injury at 33
Martin - was mismanaged at GC, partly because they were a shambles too. However, I used average because after his first 2 years (as an 19yo and 20yo) he managed to play 22, 22, 15 and 16 games. Not a perfect record, but still 4 years where he was reasonably healthy. At Carlton: 15-11-12 = demonstrably worse, even if you just count his last 2 years at GC.

How do you know he was mismanaged at GC?

Hewett: yep, had one year in 6 at Sydney where he was injured. That was the year he couldn't train properly due to COVID issues. Otherwise, I think he missed 3 matches total after debuting. At Carlton - 7 matches missed in his first year,

No, wrong, played only 6 games. Was supposedly going to be out for 6-8 weeks, but didn't return. Are the Swans guilty of mismanagement? Doubt it

Everything there is exactly my point. Our fitness and injury management is poor, and players are more frequently and consistently injured, and reinjured, than at other clubs.

It would be great to have a better run with injuries, and while we "may" have mismanaged some players (how are we determining this mismanagement), we have seen other players return from long-term injury and playing their best footy. Is this pure luck or good management?

Club made a statement that they have revisited/scrutinised this area, again, so it's not like we are sitting on our hands, hoping it just turns

What I would question, is the list management/retention around all of our injury prone players, with the exception of OMac, who was delisted

For many of these type of players, if they suffer reoccurring injuries next year, I doubt they remain on the list

Also, saying the club failing to give Charlie proper support probably led to his slipping on tiles and with better management he would've avoided it is perhaps the most hilarious criticism I've heard made at the clubs training staff - and there's been a lot of them so that's an amazing effort.

Also, saying the club failing to give Charlie proper support probably led to his slipping on tiles and with better management he would've avoided it is perhaps the most hilarious criticism I've heard made at the clubs training staff - and there's been a lot of them so that's an amazing effort.
Pretty sure the club had these posted wherever Charlie went too.

1673242427205.png

Bad luck is bad luck, no matter the precautions.

Not sure what being the captain has to do with injury, but Alex Johnson, Anthony Morabito, Jon Patton, Alex Woodward, Daniel Menzel

See above

Nick Coffield

Again, missed 1 game in 4 years, and suffered a knee and soft tissue injury at 33

How do you know he was mismanaged at GC?

No, wrong, played only 6 games. Was supposedly going to be out for 6-8 weeks, but didn't return. Are the Swans guilty of mismanagement? Doubt it

It would be great to have a better run with injuries, and while we "may" have mismanaged some players (how are we determining this mismanagement), we have seen other players return from long-term injury and playing their best footy. Is this pure luck or good management?

Club made a statement that they have revisited/scrutinised this area, again, so it's not like we are sitting on our hands, hoping it just turns

What I would question, is the list management/retention around all of our injury prone players, with the exception of OMac, who was delisted

For many of these type of players, if they suffer reoccurring injuries next year, I doubt they remain on the list
Apparently giving kudos for handling things well is considered poor form. Like congratulating someone just for doing their job.

Last edited:
to the "I don't buy it" brigade - what are your solutions? medical group inept? coaches
I have healthy scepticism regarding the club's approach to informing external stakeholders about injuries and injury management - primarily because I'm aware that previously the PR folk were too heavily involved in dissemination based upon supporter engagement and response rather than simply relaying the medical advice.
I think that apporach/attitude has fuelled the "I don't buy it brigade" because when the spin was wrong (and it constantly has been in recent years) it creates an atmosphere of incompetence which supporters attempt to pinpoint on Russell, or Teague, or McKay, or others.
The reality is there is not one person or one issue as to why we've had injury and rehabilitation problems - it's more complex than that and I'd argue impossible for anyone outside the club to definitively say what the root cause has been/is.

to the "I don't buy it" brigade - what are your solutions? medical group inept? coaches

I have healthy scepticism regarding the club's approach to informing external stakeholders about injuries and injury management - primarily because I'm aware that previously the PR folk were too heavily involved in dissemination based upon supporter engagement and response rather than simply relaying the medical advice.

I think that apporach/attitude has fuelled the "I don't buy it brigade" because when the spin was wrong (and it constantly has been in recent years) it creates an atmosphere of incompetence which supporters attempt to pinpoint on Russell, or Teague, or McKay, or others.

The reality is there is not one person or one issue as to why we've had injury and rehabilitation problems - it's more complex than that and I'd argue impossible for anyone outside the club to definitively say what the root cause has been/is.
To thy's question bbb - if we have trouble definng the causes then an obvious solution not being implemented is not as straight forward as is being implied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back