Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have faith in Walsh's freakish abilities. If anyone can come back from something like this on, or even ahead, of schedule - it is he.

H is the consummate professional at such a young age. Have no doubts that he will commit to every aspect of his recovery and whilst there's no guarantee that he comes back sooner than anticipated, at least there's no concern of him not putting every bit of time into recovery and training.

Is Cuningham still on the playing list - wtf is going here with this bloke?
close your eyes and imagine he plays 20 games this year at full revs..........

Sorry for the intrusion and sounding a little pessimistic but thought I'd add my experience with this spine surgery!

It's a tough road ahead for Walsh.. not really in terms of recovering but moreso how the disc holds up once he's back to running, taking hits and probably worst of all being tackled with a lot of compression on his lumbar spine. I had the same surgery around 4-5 years ago now (24 at the time) and I can't run or lift anything over 20-30kg now without having numbness and a small amount of sciatica in my foot*. There's been a few AFL players I know of that have had the surgery and haven't lasted long so I really do hope for you guys and the rest of the AFL fraternity that he can go against the grain and fulfil his potential as a great of the modern game.

*Obviously the severity of the disc injury dictates this

Sorry for the intrusion and sounding a little pessimistic but thought I'd add my experience with this spine surgery!

It's a tough road ahead for Walsh.. not really in terms of recovering but moreso how the disc holds up once he's back to running, taking hits and probably worst of all being tackled with a lot of compression on his lumbar spine. I had the same surgery around 4-5 years ago now (24 at the time) and I can't run or lift anything over 20-30kg now without having numbness and a small amount of sciatica in my foot*. There's been a few AFL players I know of that have had the surgery and haven't lasted long so I really do hope for you guys and the rest of the AFL fraternity that he can go against the grain and fulfil his potential as a great of the modern game.

*Obviously the severity of the disc injury dictates this

No offence mate as I appreciate the sentiment and don’t wish to talk down your injury but I reckon there’s a fair chance Sam’s rehabilitation will be a little bit different to yours.

He is the No.1 asset of a multi million dollar football club himself earning more in a a couple months than most people earn in a year so there’ll be no expense spared to ensure he returns to full fitness.

No offence mate as I appreciate the sentiment and don’t wish to talk down your injury but I reckon there’s a fair chance Sam’s rehabilitation will be a little bit different to yours.

He is the No.1 asset of a multi million dollar football club himself earning more in a a couple months than most people earn in a year so there’ll be no expense spared to ensure he returns to full fitness.

In addition Sam is only 21 and an elite athlete. Two factors that makes in massive difference in ability to rehabilitate from these injuries.

Every day these footballers return from injury twice as fast as us normies would. I just had a shoulder reconstruction and am currently at the 10 week mark. Im still not allowed to lift anything above 500g and struggle to hold my arm above my head (apparently Im doing well). In 2021 Josh Dunkley was back playing afl within 11 weeks after the same op. It's chalk and cheese.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

throwing my 2 cents in
Sam Walsh - so diligent, young and came back remarkably well at the start of last year club confirmed a few
nathan grima - 2011! surgery over new years - partial discectomy - played round 2
peyton manning - missed "just" a year after having an entire disc removed and spinal fusion across 4 surgeries in his late 30s that was over 10 years ago
walsh had a microdiscectomy so only a small part could have been shaved off (who tf would know with the way carlton inform us as to what he had done in detail) - some players
Rob Gronkowski - 3-4 months was back playing after a micro-discectomy and that was his 5th surgery of the year
james tamou from the cowboys had the same surgery as walsh - 3 month timeline for full fitness

so assuming the news we know about walsh is remotely accurate - 3-4 months is reasonable and i would expect a person like him (assuming we dont get another dud surgeon on another one of our players) will be back before the bye which is better than i would have expected

Thought they might consider easing him back into competitive games Benny via a lower standard / pressure environment.

Sort of like running in a new Ferrari engine before its 1500 km service rather than flooring it. :D

Nice.

Seriously some players don’t need a ‘run’ in the twos,he,IMO comes straight in.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reading some comments regarding Walsh I don't get the criticism of the medical team.
There are so many variables to consider and whilst diagnosis can be quite accurate (although even this can sometimes have marginal errors) treatment and response to treatments are idiosyncratic.
Interviewed staff saying he would be back to training after Christmas were not misleading, it was based on current situations.
Treatment should always err on the least invasive measures first and then response to outcome be assessed.

Sent from my SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

In addition Sam is only 21 and an elite athlete. Two factors that makes in massive difference in ability to rehabilitate from these injuries.

Every day these footballers return from injury twice as fast as us normies would. I just had a shoulder reconstruction and am currently at the 10 week mark. Im still not allowed to lift anything above 500g and struggle to hold my arm above my head (apparently Im doing well). In 2021 Josh Dunkley was back playing afl within 11 weeks after the same op. It's chalk and cheese.
But to state the bleedin obvious, every injury is different.

throwing my 2 cents in
Sam Walsh - so diligent, young and came back remarkably well at the start of last year club confirmed a few
nathan grima - 2011! surgery over new years - partial discectomy - played round 2
peyton manning - missed "just" a year after having an entire disc removed and spinal fusion across 4 surgeries in his late 30s that was over 10 years ago
walsh had a microdiscectomy so only a small part could have been shaved off (who tf would know with the way carlton inform us as to what he had done in detail) - some players
Rob Gronkowski - 3-4 months was back playing after a micro-discectomy and that was his 5th surgery of the year
james tamou from the cowboys had the same surgery as walsh - 3 month timeline for full fitness

so assuming the news we know about walsh is remotely accurate - 3-4 months is reasonable and i would expect a person like him (assuming we dont get another dud surgeon on another one of our players) will be back before the bye which is better than i would have expected
We should use Charlies LAST knee surgeon..oh wait... nah its all good. I have evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back