Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy but this injury run 'feels' different to our many others.
Club is seemingly happy to be ultra conservative and hold players back for an extra week or so.

I feel like if this was last season Walsh, Cerra, McGovern and Harry may be playing this week or earlier.
Can't help but feel like this is a reason we fell in a heap at the end of last year.
If we manage to play finals the conservatism plus the pre-finals bye may really pay dividends for us... fingers crossed anyway.

Well it’s easier not to rush back your stars when you’re winning without them - but had we lost to the Pies and Saints I imagine we would have seen Walsh back this week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Having half a dozen starting 18 have 2-3 weeks off ahead of crunch games to make finals and subsequent finals should w get there which I tjink we will could be a blessing in disguise. (As long as the hammies are just minor and heal ok)

There is some real fire power to come back that will be ready to rumble vs exhausted counterparts. Could play out in a favour significantly. Wouldn't mind Doc having a week of R&R once we know where we stand in terms of making finals.

Was thinking about Walsh's half and Cerras half before they went off in their respective games.

Both were tearing the game to pieces. Along with Harry and Gov we have some serious fire power to add back into the team over the coming weeks.

Was thinking about Walsh's half and Cerras half before they went off in their respective games.

Both were tearing the game to pieces. Along with Harry and Gov we have some serious fire power to add back into the team over the coming weeks.
Kennedy was too.
I mean he was seriously good!

I don't think it can be a coincidence that we started getting all of these soft tissue injuries as soon as we switched game plans. Russell would have prepared them for the defensive endurance style game plan and not the explosive one we are playing now.

I don't think it can be a coincidence that we started getting all of these soft tissue injuries as soon as we switched game plans. Russell would have prepared them for the defensive endurance style game plan and not the explosive one we are playing now.
Could have sworn we've had people in here complaining about Russell and soft tissue injuries for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we beat the Deas we are top 4. Won't lose another home and away game for the rest of the season unless things go really wrong, reckon some of the top 4 have a few losses coming up so the opportunity will be there.

Not sure when the last time we had the confidence to rest players knowing we could drop a game but still make finals, still be a chance. Not worrying about losing a game is a big thing IMO.

A lot of our injuries probably come from a lack of depth.

So we lack players in a particular role or position and that means they don't get to rotate on the field or come off the ground as much. For example, at one stage Walsh and Cerra were our only onballers who had legspeed and we probably played them to death in the middle until their hamstrings gave. Add another centreman with burst speed so they can rotate and don't fatigue so much they probably don't have the hamstring injuries they have got. That means Dow and Docherty are in the team going into the middle playing that role and giving us burst speed around the stoppages and the load is shared.

Being able to give these two and guys like McGovern another week off because Kemp and Marchbank are in the team playing their role well enough where we do not have to rush them back.

I don't think our high injury list comes from mismanagement from the staff. I think it comes from lack of genuine depth in the team and just outside of the team that we are only now starting to come good with. I think at times we have not selected the teams well so guys like Cerra and Walsh had someone who could come into the middle and take over their role for a while. I think at times we have not used second positions well or at all. Since the big meeting we had that has turned us around I think we have started to use rotations more and it's worked better but we could go even further with that. I think Dow and Docherty will be important when it comes to keeping Walsh and Cerra's work load down just enough to take them out of the high hamstring risk category but also maintain this outstanding run and speed we have now.

Think our reserve players coming good is a huge boost to our future injury management. Hawthorn in their prime when Russell was there were always resting stars which we haven't really been able to do because the pressure to win has always been too high, it has never really looked like finals was a a sure enough thing to be able to rest star players.

I think having a weak team under a lot of pressure that did not rotate well enough on the field and did not have the depth to be able to rest players is a big part of our injury history. I think also having an old fashioned game plan that was very crash and bash as we tried to create congestion also contributed.

I think now the coaching and the depth has improved a lot but there are still some ways to go. I think until there is enough quality quicker mids in the side to rotate and share the load, we will have these injuries. I think getting to a point where noone is super super important and we can rotate our mids, that's where our better run comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back