Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owies should be on thin ice as it is. Doesn’t score enough goals. Simple as that.

Still can’t get that chip kick backwards out of mind that he completely shanked in the last 30secs of the Melbourne game…
Maybe we might not convict based on someone having a guess as to who the culprit might have been. Been a few names mentioned here. Might not even have been any of them.

Except that the "rules" go well beyond the boundaries of any regular workplace and are governed with extreme inequality.
For instance, it's ok for the club to demand wrestling during training but the moment training ends and the wrestling continues it turns into a quasi performance management process? Seriously.
I think the analogy falls over when you consider that the wages (potential wages) are also outside the boundaries of any regular workplace. But I do wonder whether running too tight a ship can have a detrimental effect on morale and engagement.

Right. So the issue is clubs have “control” over players outside of game day?

Should they revert to being simply anonymous members of society outside of the weekend?

I wonder if players would forego large contracts for match payments only.

Somehow I think not.
My original point was that making the players perform in and outside the club like robots is neither good for culture or a recipe for success in my view. I have lots of issues with how the league and clubs create this environment and it's more complex than you are suggesting.

My original point was that making the players perform in and outside the club like robots is neither good for culture or a recipe for success in my view. I have lots of issues with how the league and clubs create this environment and it's more complex than you are suggesting.

Sure, but there is a significant difference between being a robot and acting in a professional manner befitting of the position they find themselves in.

These players have responsibilities that extend far beyond their statistical input on match day. That's a privilege for some, a harsh reality for others, but at the end of the day if they're not comfortable with it, the front door is that way because there are many others who are.

I think the analogy falls over when you consider that the wages (potential wages) are also outside the boundaries of any regular workplace.
The average AFL wage in 2022 was about $400k - there's hundreds of players getting paid less than that.
I would argue the restrictions on players are not relative to wages - it's the heightened fandom and fear of negative publicity which creates an environment where clubs feel forced to treat players differently than a business would its employees. We don't put curfews on high performing executives or politicians who earn more than most AFL footballers.

Right. So the issue is clubs have “control” over players outside of game day?

Should they revert to being simply anonymous members of society outside of the weekend?

I wonder if players would forego large contracts for match payments only.

Somehow I think not.
There are elite athletes in any number of Olympic sports who do it almost for free, there's no reason footy players can't do it while being paid 100s of 1000s.

Not to mention the Newman cut, Kreuzer heart, Marchbank neck, Curnow larynx. Some very weird injuries down at Ikon Park

Curnow larynx wasn’t unlucky. That was Cotchin doing what he’s done his whole career without repercussions. In fact he did it last weekend.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

that's it, young guys being paid dream money to play footy. If you want to be a pro give it everything, if you want to do the dumb things young guys do, have fun then do it elsewhere.

The talent gap between successful and failed players is almost non existent, preparation and professionalism is the biggest difference.
This!

I read the bolded to Mr Junior BR. He’s developing into a nice hard-nosed gut-running inside mid and it’s exactly the attitude we’re encouraging in him.

This!

I read the bolded to Mr Junior BR. He’s developing into a nice hard-nosed gut-running inside mid and it’s exactly the attitude we’re encouraging in him.
I hope he is applying himself with equal determination to his studies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think “curfews”, drink bans and the like are far more powerful if they come from the players themselves rather than being imposed by the club.

If the club takes a hardline stance it can create a culture of us against them within the playing group and a feeling of distrust. Unity between the players and coaches/back room staff is crucial to success.

What happened with Cuners is unfortunate but I think the club and vossy have handled it properly. Sometimes it takes an incident like this to remind the players of what’s important so they can self correct as opposed to ruling with an iron fist.

Ps (not trying to suggest that this was the shoulder dislocation we had to have or anything, more so that there’s higher value in learning from mistakes than just setting arbitrary rules)

There are elite athletes in any number of Olympic sports who do it almost for free, there's no reason footy players can't do it while being paid 100s of 1000s.
Most Olympic athletes are part of state funded programs.

Ever heard of the Australian Institute of Sport?

Ben McKay injured, will likely miss playing against Harry again.

The bit about his rehab being different than anything the club has ever seen before reminds me of the story Sticks loved to tell about recruiting Chris Judd.

From day one of Judd's arrival that he went about setting standards and expectations of the playing group that he was the first one to live up to.

Having someone as driven and motivated on attacking their rehab as professionally as Walshy clearly has can only lift the standards and practices of his teammates.

For a club that has suffered from as many injuries or has as many "injury prone" players as we do this can only be a good thing.

Built different? Sure. Lifting your teammates to that level is achieved through setting that example.

Go Sam. Keep smashing it.
Certainly don’t want to be a Debbie downer and you want a bloke to work really hard. But I remember Judd writing is his book or stating it at the book launch that if he had his time again he wouldn’t push himself so hard and he thinks it shortened his career. Was an interesting tidbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back