Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re using the hidden premise that they’re being logical and intelligent.

They absolutely do not appear to be reflecting that to me.

I suspect the support for Russell from club leadership isn't as substantial as people think. Cook was supportive of him last year but you need to publicly back your man if you aren't going to sack him.

The vibe I get is having done a review, they have identified some areas of opportunity and they will give current personel the chance to get things right. If we have another bad year injury wise there will be a changing of personel and restructuring of that department, which most likely includes Russell.

Now that doesnt mean every injury we get is Russell's fault. Every injury is different and there are a variety of factors at play. Russell also doesn't work alone. He runs a team as a senior leader within the football department.

Ultimately what it comes down to though is his team is accountable for getting our players fit and healthy (physically and mentally). Others share that accountability but that is the primary function of his team. Our players are consistently not fit and healthy. That means his team is failing in delivering on their core accountability.

That doesn't mean Russell is rubbish. If he was he would already be gone. It just means he is a highly paid leader who's department isn't delivering the required results. When that happens you give your person every chance to get things right and if they cant you provide someone else with that opportunity. Maybe someone with some different solutions to the problem.

Also, I guarantee you knowing our presidents background that he won't be accepting "bad luck" an an excuse.

That is just my perspective from an outsider looking in.

Last edited:
Our brain Fades happened cause we had duds in place of the good players who weren’t there that’s a fact

This is not true. You’re rewriting history here.

Maby of the mistakes made were by best 22 players. Some by our very best.

Would seriously like this thread to be given the same treatment as the Bluemours only thread. Whinging about Russel can be done so somewhere else. I'm in the same camp that would like him to depart at the end of year but I come here to look for updates on players status such as Mots rumoured calf injury... not sift through countless pages of cultists on either side arguing about whose uneducated opinion on conditioning and injury prevention is more accurate.

As far as our injury prone players I can understand why the club made the call to keep them. Martin, McGovern, Williams, Fogarty, Philp were all contracted. Marchbank and Cunningham are highly talented players that we have invested significant time, money and draft capital in. By the end of last year we had finally (seemingly) gotten them right. It made sense to give them a year to see if we could benefit from our investment rather than taking some late picks in the draft.

At the end of last year they were 50 /50 calls. By the end of this year it will be blindingly obvious who should stay and go. At least supporters, the players and the club will not have to wonder what could have been as we will have done everything we possibly can.

Would seriously like this thread to be given the same treatment as the Bluemours only thread. Whinging about Russel can be done so somewhere else. I'm in the same camp that would like him to depart at the end of year but I come here to look for updates on players status such as Mots rumoured calf injury... not sift through countless pages of cultists on either side arguing about whose uneducated opinion on conditioning and injury prevention is more accurate.
Great idea, but since the club does not disclose barely any injury information to the public, this is what you get.

Maybe unfollow the thread or start your own.

I'd be surprised if the club gives us an injury update on Mots this close to round 1. They will be keeping their cards close to their chest. I suspect we'll get a proper update late next week after the round 1 side is already named. Unless it is a bad injury and happens to get leaked. Then they would probably put something out.

possibly poty, except where it refers to my own transgressions........

More often than not, check the stickied post at the top of the thread if all you're looking for are updates.

Also, can we play nicely please? As fun as throwing passive aggressive potshots - or aggressive aggressive potshots - is, let's perhaps do it in another thread.

More often than not, check the stickied post at the top of the thread if all you're looking for are updates.

Also, can we play nicely please? As fun as throwing passive aggressive potshots - or aggressive aggressive potshots - is, let's perhaps do it in another thread.
which one?

I'd be surprised if the club gives us an injury update on Mots this close to round 1. They will be keeping their cards close to their chest. I suspect we'll get a proper update late next week after the round 1 side is already named. Unless it is a bad injury and happens to get leaked. Then they would probably put something out.

Why? This is the sort of dumb shit the club focuses on instead of actually being good at football.

Richmond dont give a stuff about Motlop playing. He is a fringe player and i doubt they put a moment of thought into which of our bog average small forwards is running around underneath McKay and Curnow.

About the only people who care are die hard supporters. The exact same people most pissed when Motlop ends up being a 'late out' on Thrusday night, then missing 6 weeks with what the club will inevitably describe as a 1-2 week calf injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? This is the sort of dumb s**t the club focuses on instead of actually being good at football.

Richmond dont give a stuff about Motlop playing. He is a fringe player and i doubt they put a moment of thought into which of our bog average small forwards is running around underneath McKay and Curnow.

About the only people who care are die hard supporters. The exact same people most pissed when Motlop ends up being a 'late out' on Thrusday night, then missing 6 weeks with what the club will inevitably describe as a 1-2 week calf injury

I don't disagree with any of that lol.

C Durdin is good to go this week. Not sure of vfl or afl. Pitto is sore but ready to play. Marchbank more likely vfl. Owies and Martin will play afl if selected.

Good news on Durdin. Will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger on him particularly if Motlop misses.

If we go the 2 ruck set-up (which appears likely) we can manage a slightly sore Pitto.

Things got a bit dull in here so I thought I’d spice it up. Added a lot of Mayo.

But I’ll repeat the irrefutable: it can’t be any worse under anyone else. He costs a lot. They should make a change.
This is actually the best argument for a change, not the injuries, the value for money under a spending cap.

If we have a large % of that soft cap tied up in one individual and the output is essentially the same as spending less and investing the balance in an underresourced area, gaining a performance increase at the same cost.

Guess it depends if you believe that he doesn't provide any more than a less credentialed alternative would, I don't know enough to say that.

there it is

This actually really grinds my gears. How does this info even get leaked to him. This isn’t a seasoned player we are talking about. Jesse is super young and we don’t need this sort of pressure on him and even Durdin to “race for round 1”. I wouldn’t really care if the story was about gov or Martin because they’ve been in the system long enough but we don’t need to put this sort of pressure on our young players just yet. Who knows what kind of stress this creates for them.

The idea that we need to keep our cards close to our chest re injuries is archaic to me.

American sports require accurate reporting about who trains/how much they participated in training and even updates during games about whether players will return to the field.

It just doesn’t seem a big deal to me to have correct information. Especially in a 23 man team, it’s so rare for a plan to change drastically based on 1 players availability.

This is actually the best argument for a change, not the injuries, the value for money under a spending cap.

If we have a large % of that soft cap tied up in one individual and the output is essentially the same as spending less and investing the balance in an underresourced area, gaining a performance increase at the same cost.
Guess it depends if you believe that he doesn't provide any more than a less credentialed alternative would, I don't know enough to say that.

It's a fair argument, but we would have to consider a number areas

• Do we know how much Russell is on and or how that compares to others within the industry
  • Do we engage another John Barker again, after we pissed Neil Craig off when we sacked Trigg
  • Perhaps an independent audit first, given Cook believes most of our injuries were contact related or uncontrollable situations with the scope of Russell and his team, which doesn't include the decision making in regards to surgery
And many other factors to consider, such as recruitment

This actually really grinds my gears. How does this info even get leaked to him. This isn’t a seasoned player we are talking about. Jesse is super young and we don’t need this sort of pressure on him and even Durdin to “race for round 1”. I wouldn’t really care if the story was about gov or Martin because they’ve been in the system long enough but we don’t need to put this sort of pressure on our young players just yet. Who knows what kind of stress this creates for them.
We'd heard it here before Mitch reported it. Perhaps he just reads BF :)

It's a fair argument, but we would have to consider a number areas

• Do we know how much Russell is on and or how that compares to others within the industry
  • Do we engage another John Barker again, after we pissed Neil Craig off when we sacked Trigg
  • Perhaps an independent audit first, given Cook believes most of our injuries were contact related or uncontrollable situations with the scope of Russell and his team, which doesn't include the decision making in regards to surgery
And many other factors to consider, such as recruitment
ari.JPG

For the Entourage fans amongst us.....

No need to rush Motlop if it’s only a 1 week injury. Get him right for round 2.

As much as I feel he’ll be our breakout player of the season, a small forward rarely is the reason why you win/lose.

Fisher, Honey and Owies (fingers crossed Durdin gets up) will need to get it done for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back