List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

What if he gets Lachie Schultz type compensation?
Or what if he wants significantly more cash/terms than what we are prepared to offer?
What if weā€™ve already hooked a fish that plays his position for similar output, is quicker and more of a defensive mindset?
Thereā€™s many variables here, I just hope it doesnā€™t end up where it ended up with Tuohyā€¦

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My guess is that Owies is due a big fat payrise

Houston is essentially competition for Newman and immediately gives Cowan someone else to learn from. Cowan is at present an amazing template; what I wouldn't give to get a Dane Rampe or Tom Stewart to show him what to do, where to stand, how and when to move or stop. Newman's a pretty decent alternative and while his kicking is good he also goes through phases of long down the line and little else; another person to take a breath and spot up the short 45 would be indispensable.

Haynes is boom-bust for me, having played every game of a 12 season career twice and more than 15 games 9 times. He is a player that would when available absolutely provide quality, but - knowing our ability to turn occasionally unavailable players into perrenially unavailable players - could spend more time on the sidelines than on the park. He'd want to be bringing in some stellar intangibles, because if he's not on the park he's 33 early next year and we still need another KPD.
Yep. Newy will be 32 come the '25 season.

1724201809248.png

Not sure whatā€™s happening with Boyd this season, he seems to have lost alot of his line breaking run and carry. Wether heā€™s not quiet as fit or a little heavier? Looks have lost that little bit of bite out of his run. Maybe itā€™s coach instruction to lock down more.
If heā€™s been told to lock down more, then imo Iā€™d change that and release him. Tell him when possible take the game on and break it open. Hopefully there not holding him back from playing his natural way.

Not sure whatā€™s happening with Boyd this season, he seems to have lost alot of his line breaking run and carry. Wether heā€™s not quiet as fit or a little heavier? Looks have lost that little bit of bite out of his run. Maybe itā€™s coach instruction to lock down more.
If heā€™s been told to lock down more, then imo Iā€™d change that and release him. Tell him when possible take the game on and break it open. Hopefully there not holding him back from playing his natural way.

Pretty sure he has been injured in the past month or 2 and we playing him out of desperation.

I agree. To the layman's eye our forward craft won't be solved merely by better kicking inside 50. Particularly when we set up front and centre for long bombs which effectively blocks leading lanes.
The worst of it is, it hasn't been corrected and so we've seen so many games where H and Charlie were completely under utilised.

I like both the Haynes and Houston rumours. Haynes makes sense for the now (replacing Marchbank and S.Durdin and backup for Gov), and filling gap for Gen next (hopefully through the draft). Houston I like for what he brings, as long as we donā€™t overpay and compromise the future.

Form a List point of view, what is better? (Hypotheticals)

Houston for 1st and 2nd round pick and $800k over 5 years

or

Pick 10 in draft
Trade 2nd round pick for say Garcia and get picks back
Extra money in SC for FA next year
Not having to trade/move as many picks for Campo twins

*Haynes will be done regardless

or

Pick 10 in draft

Unless there a stand-out prospect I prefer Houston. We don't have many quality HB coming through (Cowan looking nice).

But we do have shocking record in recruiting quality players with a big contract.

McGovern, Martin, Williams and more less Cerra (this year)

Worth the risk then, in you opinion. šŸ™‚

I don't think we have any choice really as would seem he have committed them. For not too much draft capital - and the feel good story - they may be worth the risk.

Ben definitely get's lots of the ball and tough in close so maybe an Andrew Carrazo type - not great skills but a goer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like both the Haynes and Houston rumours. Haynes makes sense for the now (replacing Marchbank and S.Durdin and backup for Gov), and filling gap for Gen next (hopefully through the draft). Houston I like for what he brings, as long as we donā€™t overpay and compromise the future.
Yes but who is the second key back to partner up with Weitering. Is it Kemp?. Is he our best 3rd forward option?. Haynes or Houston as you rightfully point out can replace our 3rd and 4th defender, but aren't key backs.

or

Pick 10 in draft

For me, it's a no brainer ... keep our 1st and 2nd round picks as two high picks in the draft are far better than just one 28 year old HBF. Our recruiters should be able to draft 2 top prospects who are also good kicks.

Yes but who is the second key back to partner up with Weitering. Is it Kemp?. Is he our best 3rd forward option?. Haynes or Houston as you rightfully point out can replace our 3rd and 4th defender, but aren't key backs.
It's a good question. I like a forward line built around H and Curnow as the chiefs, and Moir and Kemp as the sidekicks, and some good small (and Motlop and Durdin give us a good basis). Look good for next 6 years. Backs in 5 year's time...? Weitering and Cowan obviously, but Saad, McGovern, Docherty and Newman will most likely be gone. One would hope Young can step up (has shown real glimpses, but probably still on the fringes). So work to be done. I can see the sense in Houston, but hopefully we don't overpay. For me, defender depth will come from draft, smart trade/FA, and hopefully some internal growth.

But that's exactly what we'll be doing

or

Pick 10 in draft

Pick 10 option for me - every day of the week.

I would expect Young to fill this role as a pure lockdown defender. If you provide him with more options to use by hand and better/experienced people and voices, he can focus on one on one contests and use a quick handball to Houston/Saad when he does find the pill.

We can't have superstars in every position, just need role players.

I think the moral to the story is that Lewis Young is a viable lock down KPD when our midfield dominates clearances and thereby controls the flow of entry into our D50.

Bringing in Dan Houston enhances the above control.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back