Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The big issue we have is that our key pillar is not quick. We rely so much on a team defence helping out on the tall, athletic types. This means when faced with these guys, we get exposed or we have to change our dynamic to play Young, and it takes a bit away from the game plan.

We can't underestimate how important Payne is in taking those sort of players and freeing up Andrews. GWS have Taylor and Buckley as the two pillars, allowing Idun and Himmelberg to be the less accountable intercepting types. Port have Aliir and Zerk-Thatcher. Dogs played Lobb and Jones.

Most of these pillars from other teams are quicker than Weiters. The only knock on Weiters in his draft year was playing on leading forwards. We rely so much on stopping clean entry to allow Jacob to get into more one on one contests where he dominates.
Yes we really have needed a Jones clone since he buggered off, and only a couple of band aid jobs have been done to rectify that problem!!! Really cannot blame S.Durdin or Young that they have not managed to fill that void for one reason or another (ability/injuries) but it almost seems like Austin is waiting for Lemmy to develop into a defender, and while he is the right size I am not sure he can be turned into a CHB?!!

The big issue we have is that our key pillar is not quick.

Most of these pillars from other teams are quicker than Weiters.
The only knock on Weiters in his draft year was playing on leading forwards. We rely so much on stopping clean entry to allow Jacob to get into more one on one contests where he dominates.

Every team 'relies' on team defense and not exposing defenders to disadvantage - as an aside, Weitering might 'look' slow to you but when not playing with corked thighs is as fast as any real KPD - witness the number of times he has saved goals against faster smaller opposition players in the open and halving contests or clearing the ball is more than two hands can count on fingers - this year. Weitering is so good he is taken for granted by supporters at Carlton - has been playing a lone hand since Jones ( and all his shortcomings) 'retired' and then unretired himself.

The 'disadvantage' Carlton has got is in the not Charlie not Harry forward line - forward pressure is a non-negotiable against any half-decent opposition - Carlton is inconsistent in this regard and by inconsistent I mean not top4 quality - and that is before we look at their 'collective' inability to score.

Until Carlton actually fixes the forward line structure by way of improved players or better substitutes- it will always need to grind out wins - and until Weitering actually gets a second KPD that will be the second Achilles' heel exploited by every opposition.

Both 'opinions' expressed above have been obvious all year and last year as well.

Every team 'relies' on team defense and not exposing defenders to disadvantage - as an aside, Weitering might 'look' slow to you but when not playing with corked thighs is as fast as any real KPD - witness the number of times he has saved goals against faster smaller opposition players in the open and halving contests or clearing the ball is more than two hands can count on fingers - this year. Weitering is so good he is taken for granted by supporters at Carlton - has been playing a lone hand since Jones ( and all his shortcomings) 'retired' and then unretired himself.

The 'disadvantage' Carlton has got is in the not Charlie not Harry forward line - forward pressure is a non-negotiable against any half-decent opposition - Carlton is inconsistent in this regard and by inconsistent I mean not top4 quality - and that is before we look at their 'collective' inability to score.

Until Carlton actually fixes the forward line structure by way of improved players or better substitutes- it will always need to grind out wins - and until Weitering actually gets a second KPD that will be the second Achilles' heel exploited by every opposition.

Both 'opinions' expressed above have been obvious all year and last year as well.
The forward line and midfield to an extent problems is the big reason why I’m adamant we need to go to the draft and bring in a few players in the top 25. Berry, Hotton, Dattoli, Hannaford, Moraes etc even just bringing in 2 at least can change our forward structure and make us more dangerous imo. Also some can spend time in the midfield.

Does it fix us in 2025, not sure but getting a few of these guys in I think will only make us a better team in the not so distant future.

The forward line and midfield to an extent problems is the big reason why I’m adamant we need to go to the draft and bring in a few players in the top 25. Berry, Hotton, Dattoli, Hannaford, Moraes etc even just bringing in 2 at least can change our forward structure and make us more dangerous imo. Also some can spend time in the midfield.

Does it fix us in 2025, not sure but getting a few of these guys in I think will only make us a better team in the not so distant future.
The midfield certainly lacks depth only Carroll and Lord are genuine mid rotations in VFL atm - neither can play for 4 quarters at AFL level - E Hollands needs to get a lot fitter but he will only be as fast as Hewett or Kennedy are at best - eg I'd back Cripps to torch him over 20 meters and do it without breaking into a sweat.

The midfield certainly lacks depth only Carroll and Lord are genuine mid rotations in VFL atm - neither can play for 4 quarters at AFL level - E Hollands needs to get a lot fitter but he will only be as fast as Hewett or Kennedy are at best - eg I'd back Cripps to torch him over 20 meters and do it without breaking into a sweat.

Agreed, but depth isn't the only thing our midfield is lacking...

You seem to take this as a criticism of Weitering. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. If he has time to judge the ball, he is one of the best out there. If he has a leading opponent, that's not his strength. I can point to phantom drafts that identified this as his only deficiency if you like. He didn't get quicker. He gets to contests because of his judgment and teammates upfield buying him time. He needs this.

Harris Andrews is quicker and can get to contests where the ball has come in too easily. I'd suggest that Weitering is far better strength wise however.

Certainly not taking him for granted, but as you said, he needs help. Genuine KPD help.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back