Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned Fiorini earlier but Soapy V ruled out inside mids

Fiorini is VERY outside. Career contested possession rate of 31.7%. As a reference point, Blaine Boekhorst was 30.0%.

This year he had a contested possession rate of 23.7%, which placed him in the 12th percentile of AFL players*. That's close to Lochie O'Brien territory (22.9%).

* looking at players who played at least 10 matches, averaged at least 15 disp a match and excluding rucks, key fwds, key backs. Does this filter make sense? NFI...

Question for those with a greater all round list knowledge.

With everything going on, is there a good, proven small forward that could shake loose?

It's interesting, we ended up 4th in the league for points for and within a spit and a piss from second.

Obviously Owies contributed well to that but I'm assuming the club expects more from Mots next year (which I think he should be afforded the opportunity at this point) plus perhaps more games from Moir (yes not a small as such but a goal kicker for sure) and then there's Durdin.

If we are actually targeting Joe Berry as some have suggested I guess there's your small forward but assuming the club is backing in who we already have it would be an interesting selection.

I would have thought draft wise a mid with attributes our mids don't have would be good (we all know what those attributes are) and then a quality, ready to go now defender to assist Weiters.

Edit: I'm not answering on the basis of all round greater list knowledge btw, just the way I see it.

It's interesting, we ended up 4th in the league for points for and within a spit and a piss from second.

Obviously Owies contributed well to that but I'm assuming the club expects more from Mots next year (which I think he should be afforded the opportunity at this point) plus perhaps more games from Moir (yes not a small as such but a goal kicker for sure) and then there's Durdin.

If we are actually targeting Joe Berry as some have suggested I guess there's your small forward but assuming the club is backing in who we already have it would be an interesting selection.

I would have thought draft wise a mid with attributes our mids don't have would be good (we all know what those attributes are) and then a quality, ready to go now defender to assist Weiters.

Edit: I'm not answering on the basis of all round greater list knowledge btw, just the way I see it.

Trainor paired with Weitering would be unreal. Two intelligent tall interceptors. Hoping he slides like Twomey has suggested. Travaglia I like but his kicking technique has me a bit concerned.

The forward component is tricky. Berry has good running patterns and athleticism but he has higher bust potential than someone like Hannaford or Horton who can play midfield.

Very unpopular opinion I'm sure, but a flying Stringer could legit be the difference between winning a flag or not.

Even collingwood said no to him... suggests something is up

If he doesn't stay with essendon I think he'll end up at norf or stains

I didn't see that detail but he did mention it wouldn't be a player that fits a specific need either (IE we're doing it for the deal)
Was mentioned here that the player fills a need
We have been discussing bringing in an established player that we will take over their sizable contract. As such the pick won't be much. Very handy player we need and why we are moving players on

Trainor paired with Weitering would be unreal. Two intelligent tall interceptors. Hoping he slides like Twomey has suggested. Travaglia I like but his kicking technique has me a bit concerned.

The forward component is tricky. Berry has good running patterns and athleticism but he has higher bust potential than someone like Hannaford or Horton who can play midfield.

Was more hoping for a mature, quality, durable KD right now rather than a draftee. Really do think we're only missing a couple of pieces to have a tilt at a GF if what we're being told re certain players being requested to lift along with tweaking of game plan/coaching is correct.

Personally don't see the need for Berry and watching Horton's highlights that someone posted, sure he racked up the possessions but gee he made a lot of simple turnovers both by hand and foot. Not one I would pick tbh.

Haven't looked at Travaglia or Hannaford so won't comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for those with a greater all round list knowledge.

With everything going on, is there a good, proven small forward that could shake loose?
Thinking that may be Joe Richards deciding between Magpies and a move to Port. Showed when given opportunity was definitely a quality small forward/wing despite mature age. Small forward is a position that Magpies are/were not short if, so was in and out off some minor injuries and opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back