Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty disappointing we weren't in the race for Barrass... He's the one we actually properly needed....
How do you know we didn’t ask the question early, but he was always set on Hawthorn? Also had a heap of back issue over the last 2 months, and will be extremely well paid. There are plenty of viable reasons for never being in the race for him

We missed him this year...

Good hands on that one...one grab player

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, he did improve his marking in the 2023 season but prior to that he was a bit hot and cold.

Hopefully he can keep improving.

Catching the ball in one grab is a great skill. Look at Hogan for example...very sticky hands.

I must be missing something here, but why is that smart?

They are going to lose the players like Baker, Rioli and Bolton this year anyway, so they have the picks to use. The draft has depth, so what is it that benefits them by waiting?

Surely you get players into the club ASAP and develop and bring them along together? Imagine if SOS had said in 2015, I'll take Weitering and McKay but leave the Curnow pick for next year because it's good to spread them out.

I would understand if this year's draft lacked depth and next year projected as significantly superior. As I said, I might be missing something, but what is it?

Some of those players will net them multiple picks, so it's not just 1-for-1 replacements.

I also think clubs are best served by staggering their draftees a little from a logistical standpoint. There's a lot of time and resources that go into setting new players up - and that's everything from housing/living arrangements through induction and education about professional sports, prep and recovery through actual coaching for development and match review. There's a reason that GWS and GC started life in the reserves comps for a couple of years - you can't just chuck a stack of 18yos on an AFL list and have them thrive. It also means you're committing to all those players straight away without seeing how any of them actually transition into the life of a professional athlete.

If Richmond can bring in 4-5 first rounders in each of the next two drafts, they'll be satisfied. They can dedicate more time, money and coaching into each player in the first batch than if they'd taken 10 players straight up, and they can assess those players over the first year before deciding what players/types to target in the next draft.

They are going to lose the players like Baker, Rioli and Bolton this year anyway, so they have the picks to use. The draft has depth, so what is it that benefits them by waiting?

Surely you get players into the club ASAP and develop and bring them along together? Imagine if SOS had said in 2015, I'll take Weitering and McKay but leave the Curnow pick for next year because it's good to spread them out.

I would understand if this year's draft lacked depth and next year projected as significantly superior. As I said, I might be missing something, but what is it?

Because if you draft, say five first round picks in the same year, you are eventually going to have re-contract them all at roughly the same time.
Also, filling up your list's depth with so many 18yo's in the same year is probably not the best strategy whereas adding another first round pick into your kitbag for next year may very well give them capital to trade for a quality free agent.

Flexibility ie Might have a trade they want to do next year as an example that would take a first rounder and they want to stay in the first round.

Could be wrong, but I also thought first rounders are 3 years contracted now? Don’t want a heap coming out of contract at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know we didn’t ask the question early, but he was always set on Hawthorn? Also had a heap of back issue over the last 2 months, and will be extremely well paid. There are plenty of viable reasons for never being in the race for him
Who knows, i don't know, you dont know, we will never know....

So just to recap (cant be bothered reading all negative posts):

• We're getting Houston
  • Possibly getting Trac
  • Likely getting Rachele
  • Taking Pink 11 to the draft
  • Delisting deadwood and list cloggers
  • Picking up some super talented juniors from other clubs

That about it?
Yep all sounds about right and if Mr Austin fails to get the job done

Brian Cook.. Nick, come to my office we need to talk about what happened in trade week and the upcoming national draft

Nick Austin..sure Brian, on the way

Austin enters Cook's office
Cook...close the door, Nick

Brian...Nick did we get the Dan Houston deal done in trade week
Nick..No Brian sorry, I could not get a deal done

Brian...how about Cristian Petracca
Nick..No, Melbourne would not take my calls

Brian..Rachele from Adelaide
Nick..aarrrr no, Justin Reid is so hard to deal with

Brian..mmmm, but we are still taking pick 11 to the national draft
Nick...well no Brian but I don't believe that this is my fault, Stephen Silvagni is going to select Ben Camporeale with pick 6 and we will have to match

Brian...Nick this is not good enough, what about delistings?
Nick..Yes, we have let go Alex Mirkov, Dom Akuei, Jack Martin & Dave Cunningham, also I've traded Matt Owies for an early 4th rounder

Brian...is that the best you could do? according to the Bluemour Discussion Houston, Petracca & Rechelle would all be playing for Carlton in 2025
Nick..silence

Brian...have we recruited any up-and-coming junior stars from other clubs
Nick..I have very good news here, we have done a 3 years deal for Nick Haynes to come over the Blues from GWS...

Brian...Nick sit down I have some news for you

YOU'RE FIRED!

Flexibility ie Might have a trade they want to do next year as an example that would take a first rounder and they want to stay in the first round.

Could be wrong, but I also thought first rounders are 3 years contracted now? Don’t want a heap coming out of contract at the same time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok thanks for the above 3 responses (Blue Balls and Crippa9 as well).

It remains to be seen how many first round picks they end up with I suppose. They only currently have 1.

I still think I'd be waiting to trade live on the night pending players left and deals on offer, if I was them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back