Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

No inside knowledge… but I think for his own safety and wellness, Marchbank should retire. He’s been injured (in many different ways) for essentially his whole career. If nothing else, he deserves the break.
Agree. Too much heart for his own good, his spacial awareness doesn't complement that.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

People forget Martin was one of our best during the finals run last year. I’m generally supportive of letting him go if his salary expectations are too high, but people shouldn’t act like we’ve delisted some 5 game spud. Pretty disappointing not to see him u der a different high performance unit.
Personally I have my doubts as to how hard he worked to get on the field this year…. I’ve had mates work in the industry (head trainer/physios) and they are aware of players that were more than not, happy to be in the rehab group , take the $, and then move on somewhere else. Rinse repeat

Meant to be playing at Strathmore.

Really? Hadn’t heard that, I hope he’s not as the Mores need availability not another player stuck in the medical room and a ton of kids coming through the u18’s

Mores do it best when they invest in the young blokes, not broken down ex AFL footballers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

People forget Martin was one of our best during the finals run last year. I’m generally supportive of letting him go if his salary expectations are too high, but people shouldn’t act like we’ve delisted some 5 game spud. Pretty disappointing not to see him u der a different high performance unit.

Was he though?

In the 9 game winning streak that took us to finals, he was listed by the club as being in the best players 3x. The club typically named between 6-9 players in wins. In that streak he was fairly clearly behind Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Cerra, Silvagni, Newman, Saad, Acres and Docherty and in terms of impact was thus roughly on par with Hewett, Kemp and Fisher (who were all named 3x as well)

In the 'finals run' his contribution was:
  • 2 goals, 12 disposals, 2 tackles, not named as one of the 6 'best' vs Sydney
  • DNP vs Melbourne (in this instance due to suspension)
  • 2 goals, 10 disposals, 4 tackles, not named as one of the 6 'best' vs Brisbane

So his 2023 year was something like: "Injured for 11 games, returned to be a solid B-grader (12th-15th best player on the team) during a season defining run, made a contribution without standing out in one final, and was unavailable for a third final).

This year, he played in three matches and was injured in two of them.

Jack Martin at Carlton was a solid player when available, which was unfortunately only about a third of the time. He turns 30 in January... it is time to move on. Just cannot plan around him being a part of anything at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I have my doubts as to how hard he worked to get on the field this year…. I’ve had mates work in the industry (head trainer/physios) and they are aware of players that were more than not, happy to be in the rehab group , take the $, and then move on somewhere else. Rinse repeat

I think this said it all - his 'enthusiasm' at becoming a Blue:

Was he though?

In the 9 game winning streak that took us to finals, he was listed by the club as being in the best players 3x. The club typically named between 6-9 players in wins. In that streak he was fairly clearly behind Cripps, Walsh, Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Cerra, Silvagni, Newman, Saad, Acres and Docherty and in terms of impact was thus roughly on par with Hewett, Kemp and Fisher (who were all named 3x as well)

In the 'finals run' his contribution was:
  • 2 goals, 12 disposals, 2 tackles, not named as one of the 6 'best' vs Sydney
  • DNP vs Melbourne (in this instance due to suspension)
  • 2 goals, 10 disposals, 4 tackles, not named as one of the 6 'best' vs Brisbane

So his 2023 year was something like: "Injured for 11 games, returned to be a solid B-grader (12th-15th best player on the team) during a season defining run, made a contribution without standing out in one final, and was unavailable for a third final).

This year, he played in three matches and was injured in two of them.

Jack Martin at Carlton was a solid player when available, which was unfortunately only about a third of the time. He turns 30 in January... it is time to move on. Just cannot plan around him being a part of anything at this stage.
This is a bit revisionist and falling back on pure statistics. He had multiple moments where he directly fought off two opponents to take contested marks.

He did ridiculous things last year, stuff I've never seen on a football field before. Elijah Hollands was starting to show off a mercurial element too at the end of this* season.

It's right that he's going, but we need players who are willing to try the difficult when they have the skills and it will open up the game. Voss cultivates lemmings, and they don't win premierships.

Last edited:
I think this said it all - his 'enthusiasm' at becoming a Blue:

Dear god that was awkward lol.

Agree with Jimmae above though, his toolset and talent was pretty hard to ignore and could do some ridiculous things. Wish he could have worked out as he was exactly what we needed.

Doesn't surprise me. They're desperately seeking a defender to replace the retired Murphy. Market is bereft of cheap KPD options. Not surprised they'd consider him. Would be surprised if he was who they landed on ultimately and even more surprised if his body held up in that role.

Will always love Marchy so all the best whenever he goes (including there).
If he takes a spot that’s great cause he would be lucky to play 3 games In 2025

People claiming that Dow was going to embarrass Carlton by averaging 30 touches and a goal a game at the Saints

Really...they claimed exactly that?

Happy to be proven wrong if you can show us the evidence they said that

PS. My only beef was that I felt he wasn't given enough opportunities at senior level last year when he seemed to be playing well in the 2nds

Really...they claimed exactly that?

Or did you just add mayonnaise to the sentence?

Or was it one or two (a miniscule percentage of BF posters)

Happy to be proven wrong if you can show us the evidence they said that

PS. My only beef was that I felt he wasn't given enough opportunities at senior level last year
when he seemed to be playing well in the 2nds
Think it's pretty clear that he is a limited player, with us and the Saints

Omg, how have I never heard of this guy?

Incredible story.

Me neither…. Went straight to google and thought this reads like “ripping yarns” or “Comic Strip Presents”.

‘Wanted to be a footballer but didn’t want to play football’

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back