Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think all the comments relate to purely gaining picks for a draftee, perhaps targeting other ready-made players

I agree though, if he can get his body right, we shouldn't be looking at trading him, as he dies have a slight point of difference compared to there mids

I just don’t like the idea on giving up on Adam Cerra when we’ve had someone like Matthew Cottrell for 5 years and he’s been giving a long extension. If Adam can get his body right, he’s quality. I think the club should be looking to add players around Adam Cerra etc.
I have been critical of Kemp, as a defender. As a forward against bigger opposition, he showed good signs, and might add a dangerous option playing 3rd wheel to Harry and Charlie

He’s been a big liability as a defender. I just think we should temper expectations for him as a forward.

You’re talking to people who are name dropping draftees like they are tied to the draft pick and not to luck that they will be available at that selection. Basically trading Adam Cerra for a nameless draftee is pretty damn silly. We know how good he is without the injuries and he is 24 year old. Trading him for a random 18 year old is pretty wild stuff.

As is turning Brodie Kemp into a 3rd forward after his 4 goal performance against the worst side in the last 30 years. He did shit up forward against St Kilda and Brisbane.
Nah, disagree on Kemp being shit against aints. He was the main man for us, he never dropped his head. Manfully battled on, when having two key defenders hanging off of him for the entire game.

Kemp will be very good in '25 as our third tall up forward. He will then get the third best defender and he will excel imo.

Can we all just chill on Lord. Seems very early to anoint him as the next starting mid.

On Cerra, I don't think we'll trade him. I reckon we'll give him one more year to test his durability. It would be the ultimate "sell low" strategy. We know he is quality when fit. Hopefully he can sort out the hamstrings.

I think it's more likely we trade Kennedy for a 2nd. I love Kennedy but he was not picked as a starting mid most of the year. You'd be backing in the likes of Kemp, Silvagni, McGovern and Moir to lock the down tall third tall options in either attack or defence. And I'd probably pick Hewett over him as a starting mid.

It would be a concern if Cripps went down but the likes of Hewett, Cerra and potentially Cowan could offer something at the contest.

I also don't think we'd entertain losing Young without a solid option coming in. Not a whole lot of key backs floating around.

Can't wait to see what we do this off season. A really pivotal trade and draft period for out future. We'll get a strong insight into how Austin, Voss and co see the list.

Okay, but what about a Kennedy hole. If Bam Bam gets traded, think Lord can step up and excel after he builds his tank in

the off season.
Kennedy I would be willing to listen to offers to - just because inside mids are a position we have depth in. But unless we are having severe salary cap problems we don't need to be desperate

Lord hype needs to settle down a bit...
Agree - missed being drafted 12 months ago ... but looks a nice little pick up.
Exactly this. Looking like a good pick up but has played two games against St Kilda and West Coast. Showed some great signs but in no universe is he filling a Cerra hole in 25'
Its funny how things fall out of context...

I dont think anyone is saying Lord brings what Cerra brings to the mid mix...

They have different roles...

Cerra an outside player that runs/carries and passes into f50. Yes he is supposed to be a good kick and mostly he is.

Lord is an inside, ground ball extractor, tackler. The closest player he plays like in terms of roles is Libba.

He extracts and dishes the ball to the outside players...

This is what Cripps does as well but by Lord helping out it frees Cripps at times be available to receive run and carry away from stoppages.

There is a very important benefit to having Cripps run with the ball from congestion as he is strong/powerful...hard to tackle.

TDK is another that like Cripps (prolly slightly better imo) can run away for short bursts from heavy congestion because he is damn hard to tackle as well.

Having TDK, Cripps, Walsh and Lord is a better mix in mind than having..

TDK, Cripps, Walsh and Cerra.

I just don’t like the idea on giving up on Adam Cerra when we’ve had someone like Matthew Cottrell for 5 years and he’s been giving a long extension. If Adam can get his body right, he’s quality. I think the club should be looking to add players around Adam Cerra etc.

He’s been a big liability as a defender. I just think we should temper expectations for him as a forward.
Chalk & cheese between Cez & Cotters on trade collateral & S/C impact. List management.

Agree on Kemp as a liability as a defender. Let’s see how he goes as the 3rd wheel with a full forward line contingent (if indeed he remains up forward). 2 x defender conversions this year to the forwards group with BK & ZW.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he could easily fill a Cerra’s spot…

Cerra hardly got on the park and when he did was pushed to HB or got injured again..
Cerra had an injury-interrupted season - it happens to a lot of players. Cerra in 2023 was our best midfielder and is still our best two-way mid. No surprise that our ability to defend stoppage dropped off so much between 2023 and 2024. Cerra's ability to spread from the stoppage is a real point of difference in the current midfield - I don't think Lord is the type that can replicate that yet. And that's before even considering ball use where Cerra is well ahead of pretty much all of our mids.

Cerra an outside player that runs/carries and passes into f50. Yes he is supposed to be a good kick and mostly he is.

Lord is an inside, ground ball extractor, tackler. The closest player he plays like in terms of roles is Libba.

This is what Cripps does as well but by Lord helping out it frees Cripps at times be available to receive run and carry away from stoppages.

There is a very important benefit to having Cripps run with the ball from congestion as he is strong/powerful...hard to tackle.

TDK is another that like Cripps (prolly slightly better imo) can run away for short bursts from heavy congestion because he is damn hard to tackle as well.

I don't think you need to pick between these two as teams roll more than three players through the on ball rotations.

Lord for me as you say looks more the extractor type who is also a great tackler - more similar to how I see Hewett rather than Cerra. Cerra's real strength that sets him apart from the rest of our midfield is his ability to spread from the stoppage - which is especially important when the opposition wins the clearance. His ball use is well ahead of all of our other midfielders as well.

Last edited:

That's absolute horseshit. You are looking at his role in an isolated scenario, instead of how our defensive structure as a whole. He doesn't exactly have a tight-knit group around him getting across to assist.

He's punched well above his weight given the jobs he's had to do, playing as a KPD at his size, because McGovern cant defend at all, and can only intercept and run in a straight line.

Sure he's had off moments, but he's been excellent at often having to hold the back-line when Weiters has been up the ground. His marking has also been exceptional. Newman & McGovern not being able to defend one on one, and being playmakers, doesn't help us out holding the last line.

Kemp gets a massive tick from me, for effort alone.

Cerra had an injury-interrupted season - it happens to a lot of players. Cerra in 2023 was our best midfielder and is still our best two-way mid. No surprise that our ability to defend stoppage dropped off so much between 2023 and 2024. Cerra's ability to spread from the stoppage is a real point of difference in the current midfield - I don't think Lord is the type that can replicate that yet. And that's before even considering ball use where Cerra is well ahead of pretty much all of our mids.
Deleted original post didn’t portray what I meant and reposted here..

Lord could very well fill a midfield spot if Cerra left, wouldn’t be like for like. More likely Walsh would cover Cerra’s actual role…

If we moved Cerra on wouldn’t think it’ll be for Houston, possibly another piece to the puzzle…

I mentioned trading Cerra in the context of picking up Houston and keeping a better draft hand...the idea was that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts

It's quite possible none of this happens anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back