Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but surely we could get the Trac if we traded over those 6. šŸ™ƒ

They'd have no need for Oliver then. He's like Clayton's, he's the footballer you have when you don't have a Cripps.

Get him back to his best and he's hitting those targets.
Sure, but where have I seen that before? Wait till Marchy comes good, cunners is a wonderful hf when not injured...the list goes on.

The question becomes: will he ever get back to his best consistently?

It's difficult to know because back injuries are generally chronic.

Will his back effect his hamstring?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Time for sentiment is over, if we need to trade Kennedy, Cerra, whomever as long as it's done to balance our list so be it. Those players will get their opportunities elsewhere and getting out of our club may be the best thing for them as well if they're not fitting in with Voss' game plan or his layers or what he's aiming to achive.

It'll be sad losing a player such as Kennedy as he's tough, great character, honest and a footballers footballer, but I'll rejoice for him if he's happy where he lands up and finishes off his career with some success.

Yeah a lot of sides have moved players, either role-wise or out completely due to their mix. From the outside the players generally look good and supporters are surprised.

Brisbane basically won't play Jarryd Lyons, despite being a very good contested player. The Dogs moved Macrae out of the middle, which is why he would want to leave. Sydney strangely got Adams, but they won't play him in the same side as Parker. Brodie moved from GC to Freo and appeared to be a gun, until he paid the price for being a one-trick pony. All of those players are slow and particularly struggle with defensive running.

Kennedy was really only a back-up mid this year, and he is going to find it harder to fit in up forward. Has been sub quite a few times when we have greater availability. Lord potentially makes it even harder for him.

We are always playing Cripps and Walsh, so Cerra and Hewett become the discussion points. I personally would prefer Cerra (if fit), but it becomes about dollars and attractiveness to another team (i.e. what we would get).

We definitely need to be doing something, because none of our guys are going to suddenly get quicker.

Yeah a lot of sides have moved players, either role-wise or out completely due to their mix. From the outside the players generally look good and supporters are surprised.

Brisbane basically won't play Jarryd Lyons, despite being a very good contested player. The Dogs moved Macrae out of the middle, which is why he would want to leave. Sydney strangely got Adams, but they won't play him in the same side as Parker. Brodie moved from GC to Freo and appeared to be a gun, until he paid the price for being a one-trick pony. All of those players are slow and particularly struggle with defensive running.

Kennedy was really only a back-up mid this year, and he is going to find it harder to fit in up forward. Has been sub quite a few times when we have greater availability. Lord potentially makes it even harder for him.

We are always playing Cripps and Walsh, so Cerra and Hewett become the discussion points. I personally would prefer Cerra (if fit), but it becomes about dollars and attractiveness to another team (i.e. what we would get).

We definitely need to be doing something, because none of our guys are going to suddenly get quicker.
You're right, I think it's hard to take a pragmatic approach when you're talking about humans and we all develop a bit of an appreciation for the men who play for our club beyond what they provide as a player

However - you need to be pragmatic and make decisions for the betterment of the team. Does Kennedy have a spot in a side in 2025 when Ben Camporeale looks to be another Cripps type player? Does having Kennedy make us better? On that note, does Jack Carroll make us better?

You're right, I think it's hard to take a pragmatic approach when you're talking about humans and we all develop a bit of an appreciation for the men who play for our club beyond what they provide as a player

However - you need to be pragmatic and make decisions for the betterment of the team. Does Kennedy have a spot in a side in 2025 when Ben Camporeale looks to be another Cripps type player? Does having Kennedy make us better? On that note, does Jack Carroll make us better?
Kennedy would be ahead of Ben Campo in 2025. He will need a couple of years of development before replacing any of Kennedy Hewett or Cerra unless they're traded and he's thrown to the wolves early. Kicking needs a lot of work

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he is back fine, just needs to be managed throughout his career. He did a podcast with Dylan Buckley this year talking about it.

Really??

Of course, he said that in the podcast! 10 years of management, 80% output and chance of missing long blocks of games...

If he were shares, you would sell, sell, sell, just saying...

Kennedy would be ahead of Ben Campo in 2025. He will need a couple of years of development before replacing any of Kennedy Hewett or Cerra unless they're traded and he's thrown to the wolves early. Kicking needs a lot of work
Sorry to clarify, I was implying that Kennedy is behind:
Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett

And that Iā€™m not sure he has utility as a depth player when weā€™ve Campo coming in

I think Ben could play games in 2025 but I agree he is not the final product, nothing near it yet

I think when it comes to the peripheral role players, when in doubt you go for the younger guy.

Kennedy would no doubt be "better" than Ben Campo in 2025. But what about in 2026? 2027?

What does Campo cost us in his first 2-3 seasons, vs Matt Kennedy in his late 20s? $120k vs $500-600k?

And relatively speaking, how much impact does "better" have when the player is 4th or even 5th string mid?

Kennedy isn't winning us games off his own boot. If we're being completely honest he probably has 1 or 2 memorable moments a game, and the rest of the time he's just another cog in the machine. I can honestly say that I think Ben Campo would be capable of playing a supporting role in 15+ games next season if required, but also that I don't think we'd need him to.

If we need to cycle the list a bit with player movement, and make space for developing certain types, then the Kennedys and Owies' of the list are the ones who make way. Not because they're poor footballers, but because they're role players with a little bit of currency whose roles can generally be filled to a reasonable degree by developing younger (and cheaper) players.

If Kennedy out, Campo in means we can shift (ie. front-end) some future salary from Cripps/Curnow/McKay into 2025, freeing up more money to chase, for example, Balta, SDK or Ballard next year, then I think it's a good deal. Don't lose much in the short term, gain plenty in the medium-long term.

I think when it comes to the peripheral role players, when in doubt you go for the younger guy.

Kennedy would no doubt be "better" than Ben Campo in 2025. But what about in 2026? 2027?

What does Campo cost us in his first 2-3 seasons, vs Matt Kennedy in his late 20s? $120k vs $500-600k?

And relatively speaking, how much impact does "better" have when the player is 4th or even 5th string mid?

Kennedy isn't winning us games off his own boot. If we're being completely honest he probably has 1 or 2 memorable moments a game, and the rest of the time he's just another cog in the machine. I can honestly say that I think Ben Campo would be capable of playing a supporting role in 15+ games next season if required, but also that I don't think we'd need him to.

If we need to cycle the list a bit with player movement, and make space for developing certain types, then the Kennedys and Owies' of the list are the ones who make way. Not because they're poor footballers, but because they're role players with a little bit of currency whose roles can generally be filled to a reasonable degree by developing younger (and cheaper) players.

If Kennedy out, Campo in means we can shift (ie. front-end) some future salary from Cripps/Curnow/McKay into 2025, freeing up more money to chase, for example, Balta, SDK or Ballard next year, then I think it's a good deal. Don't lose much in the short term, gain plenty in the medium-long term.
I have no issues with Kennedy being moved on to bring in more balanced talents like Houston or Rosas etc, but Ben is not a ready to go mid in 2025 unless he's playing a purely defensive role. Lord would be ahead of him off the back of his kicking skills alone.

Ben will be a project player until he sorts out his disposal.

I have no issues with Kennedy being moved on to bring in more balanced talents like Houston or Rosas etc, but Ben is not a ready to go mid in 2025 unless he's playing a purely defensive role. Lord would be ahead of him off the back of his kicking skills alone.

Ben will be a project player until he sorts out his disposal.

Will be watching the 2025 VFL more intently thats for sure.

That said, Kennedy is 15 month younger than Hewett & can play more than one position. I would say that for the betterment of the team itā€™s Hew that goes as Kennedy is better for the team & younger

That said, Kennedy is 15 month younger than Hewett & can play more than one position. I would say that for the betterment of the team itā€™s Hew that goes as Kennedy is better for the team & younger

Hewett plays the inside role better than Kennedy.

We need to find specific players for the 'other' positions that Kennedy plays, not Band-Aid them with a mid. If Kennedy plays high HF then Moir is a must round 1 to take that spot, as he brings the X factor we need and is deadly off the left or right peg...

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back