Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hewett plays the inside role better than Kennedy.

We need to find specific players for the 'other' positions that Kennedy plays, not Band-Aid them with a mid. If Kennedy plays high HF then Moir is a must round 1 to take that spot, as he brings the X factor we need and is deadly off the left or right peg...
Yes he does & we have Lord to replace Hew inside - which we need for speed.
Kennedy is miles ahead in marking ability & versatility, drives forward instead of Hew in reverse & it’s not a major gap between the 2 as inside mids - Kennedy does an absolute power or blocking for everyone else when he’s inside.
Pragmatically u take the younger more versatile bloke, bring in the kid & don’t forget that it’s Hew we are talking about - serviceable, honest & gives his all, but realistically not a great mid.
Not saying Lord can do the same job right now, but u back the kid to be up to speed really quick & while the numbers might not be the same, the output difference wont be huge.
Tackle numbers/pressure acts & speed will mitigate the transition

Kennedy is miles ahead in marking ability & versatility, drives forward instead of Hew in reverse & it’s not a major gap between the 2 as inside mids - Kennedy does an absolute power or blocking for everyone else when he’s inside.
Pragmatically u take the younger more versatile bloke, bring in the kid & don’t forget that it’s Hew we are talking about - serviceable, honest & gives his all, but realistically not a great mid.
Not saying Lord can do the same job right now, but u back the kid to be up to speed really quick & while the numbers might not be the same, the output difference wont be huge.

I reckon Kennedy could be the 3rd forward.

Played as a Centre Half Forward I think at times in junior footy - and a great kick for goal.

Not banking on replacing Cerra with Lord alone.

If we trade Cerra, we're going to get something decent coming back. We use that to improve our midfield mix and add Lord to the rotations next year, we'll be a better team.
far more reasonable way of phrasing it and understandable and yes Lord will be part of the mix whether cerra is here or not. They simply do different things.

You're missing the point though, nobody said they are exactly like for like.... Cerra plays his best footy on ball as a balanced mid, he isn't purely outside...the point was to keep a draft hand and address other needs too
no the point was people over hyping lord and paraphrasing - replace cerra with Lord for a better balance -

I'm not against trading cerra but lord isn't stepping into that hole and providing us a better mix.

He is if u replace the name Cerra with Hewett 😂
if he can run out 80% game time and put on a bit of muscle - or not lose it - sure he will probably split more time with Hewy but until I see Lord actually capable of spending more than 60% TOG without losing muscle mass to do so... Yeah....

if he can run out 80% game time and put on a bit of muscle - or not lose it - sure he will probably split more time with Hewy but until I see Lord actually capable of spending more than 60% TOG without losing muscle mass to do so... Yeah....
Good preseason will go along with that.
I’m not concerned with muscle mass - he already looks strong & tackle power was good.
Prefer he build strength over mass, will naturally get bigger as he’s only a kid - we don’t need a clone

The issue for Kennedy for me is that it's not just this regime that can't seem to fit him in the midfield, it's 3 or 4 staffs now that find his value better being a bits and pieces player and not an inside mid. I, along with most here, would say that his best spot is inside mid, but, maybe, as much as we like Bam Bam he's actually just not that good of a mid. 4 (5?) coaching staffs saying no to him is pretty telling.

He does have useful attributes which we are trying to utilise the best we can - his competitiveness and overhead marking, hence rucking and playing him down the line, but full time mid has just never been on his cards it seems.

On the face of it, it seems like a strange one as we all think it's obvious that he's a midfielder, but maybe we just like him too much and are missing what several coaching staffs are telling us - he just isn't a very good mid.

I reckon Kennedy could be the 3rd forward.

Played as a Centre Half Forward I think at times in junior footy - and a great kick for goal.

How many games do you reckon he would have got this year if the 2 Jacks had been available?

Next year there will be Kemp and Moir to factor in. If we rely on Kennedy as a forward target we are not improving.

The issue for Kennedy for me is that it's not just this regime that can't seem to fit him in the midfield, it's 3 or 4 staffs now that find his value better being a bits and pieces player and not an inside mid. I, along with most here, would say that his best spot is inside mid, but, maybe, as much as we like Bam Bam he's actually just not that good of a mid. 4 (5?) coaching staffs saying no to him is pretty telling.

He does have useful attributes which we are trying to utilise the best we can - his competitiveness and overhead marking, hence rucking and playing him down the line, but full time mid has just never been on his cards it seems.

On the face of it, it seems like a strange one as we all think it's obvious that he's a midfielder, but maybe we just like him too much and are missing what several coaching staffs are telling us - he just isn't a very good mid.
Or he is a very good inside mid but we have the absolute best inside mid already there (Cripps) which makes it hard to play Kennedy in there with big minutes?

Or he is a very good inside mid but we have the absolute best inside mid already there (Cripps) which makes it hard to play Kennedy in there with big minutes?
Could be that too, but then we've played Hewett in the role instead of Kennedy which suggests, at best, he's 3rd in queue. How good is 3rd in line for a role?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got Kennedy being a big bodied mid driving forwards out of stoppages as a positive, but IMO that's the issue with this midfield trying to play too many of one type of player. Cripps already does this and is significantly better at it.

Hewett is always going backwards and sideways because he's positioned on the defensive side of the stoppage playing a role that no-one else in the team does nearly as well.

You've got Kennedy being a big bodied mid driving forwards out of stoppages as a positive, but IMO that's the issue with this midfield trying to play too many of one type of player. Cripps already does this and is significantly better at it.

Hewett is always going backwards and sideways because he's positioned on the defensive side of the stoppage playing a role that no-one else in the team does nearly as well.
That’s a common misconception, Hewett goes backwards by nature not just positioning.

Point was Kennedy is younger, more versatile, can roll thru the midfield well (pound for pound I’d put him top few of our best overhead marks - especially having to wait under it) Hewett needs to be replaced by a kid (looks like Lord after a big pre season).

The midfield has to change,
way too slow & George is the odd man out.

Nothing against him, it’s natural progression.

Conversation started about being dispassionate & calculating.

That’s a common misconception, Hewett goes backwards by nature not just positioning.

Point was Kennedy is younger, more versatile, can roll thru the midfield well (pound for pound I’d put him top few of our best overhead marks - especially having to wait under it) Hewett needs to be replaced by a kid (looks like Lord after a big pre season).

Broadly agree with this, but I'd extend it to saying moving past both would be ideal.

If one or the other, probably pick Kennedy due to age and versatility (though I think Hewett is better as an onballer), but in an ideal world both would be supplanted by up and comers, with the idea being they're still around just as depth players and will be injury/rotation cover.

Whether we have the young mids to do that I'm not sure, but I'm not convinced that either a big drivers in a high-end finals type side.

Yes, that is one way to look at it. Think we need to work out who has more value, to other clubs. I would say that Kennedy

being 18 months younger and being more versatile. Has higher appeal than George and think we can cover Kennedy

slightly easier. George is a very important part of our midfield group and Lord will take some time to get up to his standard.

Reckon a team like Norf would find Bam Bam as somebody who can play in a variety of roles, very tempting.

Yes, that is one way to look at it. Think we need to work out who has more value, to other clubs. I would say that Kennedy

being 18 months younger and being more versatile. Has higher appeal than George and think we can cover Kennedy

slightly easier. George is a very important part of our midfield group and Lord will take some time to get up to his standard.

Reckon a team like Norf would find Bam Bam as somebody who can play in a variety of roles, very tempting.
I don’t think it will take long.

To me Hewett is a big part of our problem & as the weakest link goes first.

Not saying he isn’t a good footballer or caused our problems!

We are to slow, he doesn’t help that, Crippa, Walsh, Cerra get top billing - we need to change the mix, so it’s Hewett to go for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back