Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

How did things get out of hand with Cook at the helm?

It was mentioned quiet a bit that he is a an experienced operator and was going to bring stability to the club?
Lag effect

It was heading towards this before he got here. This activity is after effects of an older course as set by the footy Dept etc before he arrived. Since he's arrived he's conducted multiple reviews, isn't allowing Voss to be fired in a blow it all up manor this off season and seems to be pushing a list and HP overhaul.

I think of it the other way round - could be a whole lot worse if we had a poor operator in that spot.

I think you're looking at this with rose coloured glasses.

What was the excuse for the Adelaide game when we had a relatively low injury list?
Why did we allow Daicos to run through in the last minute to kick the match winner?
Where was our plan B when GWS had come back from 39 points down to go 6 goals up?

Injuries played a part and I'm not denying that but there's more problems with the club and the lack of plan B we often have.

We have a top 4 list IMO. That doesn't mean we are a top 4 team.

I would put those L’s all on the players.
ADL; calamity of errors, a bit of composure and we put that away. Many can foot the bill on this last Q. Owies, H, ZW, Kemp etc.

N.Daicos specific moment = Walsh (and a bit of Pitto IIRC). Players poor at defending stoppages most of the year.

GWS; some horrible contests & mistakes (bad ZW shows up again), Weiters poor skills, CC ankle, Kemp makes a reappearance. Very slow in comparison to GWS speedsters.

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love this.

The list balance is poor, and the game plan is not current and is not sustainable with the list we have.

The players get beaten up by this game plan on a weekly basis. They know we don't have the pace in the side to shut down opposition run, and the defence is left high and dry constantly.

When you select slower inside mids as half forwards and half backs, you have an unbalanced side. We have 6 of these types trying to fit into our side ... Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Lord and Carroll. We then have wingers and Walsh for the rest of the midfield, and Walsh wants to be inside too.

We then have small forwards playing up the ground in order to fit into the side. Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Williams, Fantasia, Fogarty. Of these only Durdin and Fantasia have any toe. It's like an Aldi brand mosquito fleet picking up an average of a possessions per game each. Where's the class?

We have a 195cm beast key defender who lacks pace to stop leading forwards, we have a couple of athletic but undersized players who aren't natural defenders, a 197cm player who can run and spoil but struggles to move the ball and lacks a hard edge and .... nothing.

We have 6 superstars, some really reliable players and a whole lot of (by AFL standards) ... dross. Role players certainly, but not consistent role players.

Our elite players often look poor and it's hard to work out whether they are frustrated or whether they are suffering from what they are surrounded by.

I'm glad this is coming out. I hate the tail wagging the dog, as it usually does at this club, but does anybody look at the way we play and get dazzled by the skill and see players enjoying themselves?

We've been too comfortable for too long. I'm glad Voss is challenging them, and I'm glad some senior players are pushing back.

They'd do well to point out these home truths and each side accept their own part in this. If one side doesn't want to listen, they're the problem and they must go.

Enough already. Communicate. Break some eggs. Feast on a premiership omelette.

I feel the same way…..Couldn’t have articulated it any better

You can’t call for change and then crack it when change comes…..

Port want Perryman they may need to move Houston to fit him in the salary cap. 👀
You have to pay the Perryman if you want to cross over into Premiership land

Horsie...that is so cringeworthy, even I can't stand it.
And I'm you!
spirit-stallion-of-the-cimarron-horse.gif

As one of his little helpers, you would.

Sat next to Setanta on a plane once. I wanted to introduce myself so badly, but he was wearing sunglasses, a hoodie and a face that said 'leave me the fook alone, ya lil' leprechaun'. So I did.

Was there when he kicked 5 against the Pies. Was also there when he played on from the goalsquare and was caught holding the ball...

Best part of him was the opponent could never guess what he was going to do. Because he had NFI either!

Simmo (ex WC coach) was on SEN this morning and stated he wants to take a year off

If you don't want to coach for a year, then there's no better role than joining the Carlton coaching team... :p

2024:

Voss: It's Russel season
Russel: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Russel season
Russel: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Voss season
Russel: It's Russel season
Sayers: Boom - (Russel) you're fired.

2025:

Voss: It's Hanson season
Hanson: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Hanson season
Hanson: It's Voss season
Voss: It's Voss season
Hanson: It's Voss season, not falling for it.
Sayers: Can't be stuffed, I'm outta here anyway.

As long as it's not wabbit season again...

1726551564571.png

I might be in the minority here, but I absolutely love this.

The list balance is poor, and the game plan is not current and is not sustainable with the list we have.

The players get beaten up by this game plan on a weekly basis. They know we don't have the pace in the side to shut down opposition run, and the defence is left high and dry constantly.

When you select slower inside mids as half forwards and half backs, you have an unbalanced side. We have 6 of these types trying to fit into our side ... Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy, Cerra, Lord and Carroll. We then have wingers and Walsh for the rest of the midfield, and Walsh wants to be inside too.

We then have small forwards playing up the ground in order to fit into the side. Owies, Durdin, Motlop, Williams, Fantasia, Fogarty. Of these only Durdin and Fantasia have any toe. It's like an Aldi brand mosquito fleet picking up an average of 8 possessions per game each. Where's the class?

We have a 195cm beast key defender who lacks pace to stop leading forwards, we have a couple of athletic but undersized players who aren't natural defenders, a 197cm player who can run and spoil but struggles to move the ball and lacks a hard edge and .... nothing.

We have 6 superstars, some really reliable players and a whole lot of (by AFL standards) ... dross. Role players certainly, but not consistent role players.

Our elite players often look poor and it's hard to work out whether they are frustrated or whether they are suffering from what they are surrounded by.

I'm glad this is coming out. I hate the tail wagging the dog, as it usually does at this club, but does anybody look at the way we play and get dazzled by the skill and see players enjoying themselves?

We've been too comfortable for too long. I'm glad Voss is challenging them, and I'm glad some senior players are pushing back.

They'd do well to point out these home truths and each side accept their own part in this. If one side doesn't want to listen, they're the problem and they must go.

Enough already. Communicate. Break some eggs. Feast on a premiership omelette.

This sums up the way a lot of us are feeling.

Well said. We weren't winning anything with what were doing unless we got very lucky.

Sadly, as I discussed with several people on here meetings we had with senior players last Monday after Lions loss didn't really solve anything. Interesting the names mentioned as possible trades are the ones I mentioned as not being happy and there are more players involved.

There is probably more concerns and rumours coming from the club than I have heard in 3 years.

There is a lot of frustration amongst the playing group. Especially senior players. This has been bubbling along for a few months and IMO this has been shown in results.

It seems internally the coaches and LM are blaming the players? This is where the issues seem to lie.

The club is at a real cross roads in regards to it's football department. These things need to be fixed and addressed. Voss won't be sacked (I don't think) but he needs to take things on board or he will really lose the group. If he can I can see us being Top 4 and if he doesn't we could fall dramatically.

Game plan, style and expectations seems to be the major issue but there are issues with List balance, contracts and who we are possibly targeting.

As I have said for months we are speaking with anyone and everyone and there will be a minimum 8-10 changes. Houston wasn't a target of Austin but Voss is pushing for him. What will happen I have no idea.

This is where Cook needs to step up and I have concerns about Lloyd. IMO, A strong Head of Football wouldn't have let these issues fester

Fingers crossed we can sort this and soon. I never would have believed this 6 months ago. Next 4-6 weeks will determine a lot of our future. I believe it's this serious
No one especially players are going to be happy with falling into the 8 & losing our final the last part of our season was deflating of course players, club, members, supporters are unhappy hopefully it can be used as motivation for 2025 we have massive upside
Rumours can distort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think it should be any surprise to hear of unrest in the playing group.

We now have two years (2022 was more a getting to know you affair), where the playing group has largely been unable to play Voss’s game. We know this because he tells us in his press conferences.

I’d say there was the first half of last season where we couldn’t get it. Then we clicked for about 6-8 games, before falling away again. This year, I’d say we couldn’t get there at any real stage.

The key question for the powerbrokers has to be the mix to which it is that the players can’t get the gameplan, or that they won’t get the gameplan.

Right now, I’d say they are leaning towards can’t get the gameplan. Hence a focus on injury management and trading players who seem incapable of playing in the required manner.

But if it is the case that the players won’t get the gameplan, then we have a much bigger problem on our hands.

And the biggest problem of all… is anyone actually looking at the gameplan? If a bunch of fairly senior players with hardened bodies have only managed to “get it” for about a two-month period over the past two seasons, then something more fundamental seems to be amiss.
Ross Lyon has this problem everywhere he goes.
Everyone knows what game style he prefers. In the first 18 rounds, they scored over 100 twice. In four of the last six games, they scored 99 or better.
That wasn't the talent/skill of the players suddenly improving ... it was pressure mounting internally and Ross giving them a little reprieve, knowing full well he'd seen enough already to make list decisions on who can/will adapt to his game style.
Lyon won't change and I'll bet he'll never achieve the ultimate prize.
Different game style but same theory with Voss?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back