Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Halfback flanker mostly used on the oppositions least dangerous forward so as they can provide run and kicking skills, not great defensively but elite kick, spent minimal time playing any other position port have had one of the most settled midfield groups over the last 4/5 years, would be coming over on a large contract and plays the easiest position on the ground to find a cheaper replacement.

That’s a lot of similarities to me I agree he is a quality player but these players can be found much cheaper Houston himself was originally a rookie pick Saad, Williams, Newman, Zorko, Dale all rookies or late picks.

The price for Houston is way too much.
Still think he plays more between the arcs

Let's be honest, Houston was never going to play as a full-time mid with JHF, Rozee, or Butters, players that our midfield would be desperate to add

Houston would be our quickest and best user between the arcs

If Houston costs our F1 and not much more I’d be all for it. He would be a great addition also if he didn’t break our bank.

But I think we should continue hitting the draft and bring in some young guys who aren’t getting much of a run at their clubs like Konstanty and Stone. If those 2 took off in 2025 with us and we also took 2 players inside the top 20 at the draft along with the Campo boys, it could be an off season for the ages and really set up sustained success.

I love how Cal Twomey says Carlton can't get Houston without giving up #11, but says Pies are still in the hunt as they might be able to get #12 out of Gold Coast for John Noble, along with a suite of later picks.

On what ****ing planet ... ?
I heard the noble for pick 12 thing a few weeks ago from a very good source. I was incredulous, and they were very confident it would happen….

If Houston costs our F1 and not much more I’d be all for it. He would be a great addition also if he didn’t break our bank.

But I think we should continue hitting the draft and bring in some young guys who aren’t getting much of a run at their clubs like Konstanty and Stone. If those 2 took off in 2025 with us and we also took 2 players inside the top 20 at the draft along with the Campo boys, it could be an off season for the ages and really set up sustained success.

You can still bring in talented youth, through trade and draft, as well as great role players, even if you acquire the likes of a Houston

List Managers always have an eye on the long-term, coaches look at the now, but no reason you can't achieve both

Best List Managers/Recruiters find talent at every level, that should be Austin's main focus

You can still bring in talented youth, through trade and draft, as well as great role players, even if you acquire the likes of a Houston

List Managers always have an eye on the long-term, coaches look at the now, but no reason you can't achieve both

Best List Managers/Recruiters find talent at every level, that should be Austin's main focus
Harder for Austin to have that focus if pick 11 (and assorted other picks) are taken away from him by Voss' apparent insistence on Houston.

Of course. And if Houston only cost us a F1 then I’d be all for it. He will definitely improve us if we go that way.

But I still hope we have 2 top 25 picks this year at the draft and grab a couple of players looking for a new home. It’s very doable.

Houston F1
Pick 11 - Lindsay/Hotton/Berry
Trade up with our 2nd plus other picks we have brought in to get pick 20
Pick 20 - Matt Whitlock
Later picks - Konstanty, Stone, Campos

Where have I said otherwise?

I said that the journos, nor us, actually have contract details. Sometimes raw numbers get leaked especially around FA acquisitions but even then it's complete guesswork afterwards as to the structure, incentives, base pay etc etc.

My point - Cleary is the same as us. Knows nothing about the structure or incentives etc on Williams contract. Says something outlandish for clicks and has a bunch of people getting baited all because they don't read well enough to see he said 'could be'. IE it's not journalism it's a click hunting opinion piece
Well, you said that they literally shouldn't be allowed to report on pay. So that's what I was responding do.

I don't agree they know no more than us, they have contacts in agencies, clubs and management agencies. Reporters talk all the time about triggers etc. Which are details in contracts. For example, Andrews deal was announced via journalists that his 9 year deal was 5 yrs with a 60 game trigger that kicks 5 to 9 yrs before being confirmed by the club - who announced it as a 5 yr deal.

I heard the noble for pick 12 thing a few weeks ago from a very good source. I was incredulous, and they were very confident it would happen….

Couldn’t believe it when it was 1st announced and that they were angling for pick#12. John F.N. Noble….not even a premiership player.
Supposedly being watered down to include some later picks from Collingwood (33, 48, 51 their current picks).
Think GCFC’s pick# 46 is about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely.

But getting back to Wright, if he wanted to take on the job as GM Football at Carlton, I’d help pack Brad Lloyd’s office up right now.
The man is Teflon.
But there are whispers of conversations with Jimmy Bartel amongst others. Which could mean Lloyds time is coming to an end.

Re Graham Wright that’s been circling for a while. His break up with Collingwood was very odd, so not entirely sure if it would be a good option.

The man I’m begging them to talk to is Blair Hartley, who I hear might be finishing up at Richmond at the end of this year.

Surprisingly, despite the fact we’ve offered him a job about 6 times in the last 10 years, we haven’t spoken to him this time around.
At least not yet.

This draft seems to have some good players in the top 20 to 30 and some real depth. Pick well and it’s gold - long term!!!
I wouldn’t be offering a top 20 pick for Houston in this draft. IMO, we need to be smarter when trading.

Cats need SDK more than we do given the age of Blicavs and Kolodjashnij. The decision not to bring him into a winning side is understandable. Such a delicate balance.

If he is gettable though, we should throw everything at him. It would immediately stop any other pick ups and early draft choices, which in turn might stop us filling other holes for next year, but long term it would be massive. Our defence would be fantastic.

Sam Edmund went on Whateley’s show and said SDK rumours are complete crap.
He’s happy at Geelong and Geelong are adamant he’s going nowhere.

Don’t know who pushed it in the first place but Edmund reckons it’s rubbish.
He’s been out with injury, if he’s healthy he’ll play.

Couldn’t believe it when it was 1st announced and that they were angling for pick#12. John F.N. Noble….not even a premiership player.
Supposedly being watered down to include some later picks from Collingwood (33, 48, 51 their current picks).
Think GCFC’s pick# 46 is about right.
With his skin he'll burn up to a crisp up there and be on the injury list in no time.

Reckon there is as much chance Gold Coast giving their 1st pick for John Noble as Chris Scott coaching Carlton.

No one is giving up a 1st round pick for Noble, late 2nd early 3rd at best.
GC have to give the pick up due to Lombard, so it’s not as far fetched as it’s made out.

They will be needing picks though

Sam Edmund went on Whateley’s show and said SDK rumours are complete crap.
He’s happy at Geelong and Geelong are adamant he’s going nowhere.

Don’t know who pushed it in the first place but Edmund reckons it’s rubbish.
He’s been out with injury, if he’s healthy he’ll play.

Fair. He's extremely important to the Cats going forward. He played in the VFL last week didn't he? I think his height will be important against Daniher and Hipwood.

The man is Teflon.
But there are whispers of conversations with Jimmy Bartel amongst others. Which could mean Lloyds time is coming to an end.

Re Graham Wright that’s been circling for a while. His break up with Collingwood was very odd, so not entirely sure if it would be a good option.

The man I’m begging them to talk to is Blair Hartley, who I hear might be finishing up at Richmond at the end of this year.

Surprisingly, despite the fact we’ve offered him a job about 6 times in the last 10 years, we haven’t spoken to him this time around.
At least not yet.
Seriously, Music to my ****ing ears.

This time, let's get it Wright...

Yes. Have a look at the players that went after the pick. Homes, Jones, Coleman, Guilden :oops: .
Just to name a few.

Lachie Jones was a Port NGA recruit and has been bang average since drafting. Was OK on first half on Friday night, but still fumbles and blasts long rather than assessing his options.
Gulden was a Sydney academy player.
Blake Coleman?!
But yes, we’ll done naming Holmes.
“To name a few”. Please keep going….

In past years I'd agree, but I think our window is well and truly open and we have to be prepared to part with early picks to get ready made talent through the door. To be honest, it will test Austin's mettle and his ability to find gems later in the draft, but I think we have to do it, Tassie will only pillage the top ten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back