Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill hazard a guess and say his status in the game (ie ability) gets him a leave pass from club management with off field behaviour. IMO it does say a bit about commitment to the game and the required standards on and off the field, in and out of season. They just dont understand the sacrifices needed to achieve true greatness. Thats my take.

PS I reckon Charlie would give him a run for his money off field.
Charlie is zero calories.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ill hazard a guess and say his status in the game (ie ability) gets him a leave pass from club management with off field behaviour. IMO it does say a bit about commitment to the game and the required standards on and off the field, in and out of season. They just dont understand the sacrifices needed to achieve true greatness. Thats my take.

fair enough, and yeah charlie a few years ago was the king no doubt.

I'm still trying to work out how a few beers when your season just ended and you haven't even started preseason yet is a problem.

These guys are human, not robots.

I’ve heard more than enough about what some players do off field to see these things as a continuation….rather than a season ending break.

take whatever you want from that. I couldn’t care less.

They’re not fair dinkum some of these guys. Walsh is an endurance athlete who has become a very average one over the past couple of years. He is now being beaten easily by Elijah Hollands, Binns Cotts Ollie and the Irish kid. All pre his sore back. If I was him I’d be keen to correct that. Not a lot of ground made up while getting pissed.

It’s a choice. He’s taking it.
It's hard to understand if you're taking the piss or you really are that miserable and out of touch. Sam walsh had a microdiscectomy in Dec 22, and as such will be managed for the rest of his career with his running loads.

If you think he is ever going to win time trials and the like, which he has NEVER won at the club mind you, then you are dimmer Than I thought. Being in the top group of runners at the club 3+ years ago was also a little different, as we had bugger all strong endurance runners outside of the curnows.

The club has focused on endurance runners since, with Cotts being the first. Sliding a little against strong endurance types after missing 2 preseasons isn't only understandable, it would be superhuman if he didn't.

Cotts is the ONLY player from your list that was on THE LIST that was there pre surgery. You need to take a rest. As for being entitled to season ending breaks. Prove to me they aren't doing at minimum baseline training over their break, and we can talk about professionalism.

In addition, point me to the literature that shows athletes should train all year round at high intensities to further their peak fitness levels. I'll give you a head start, you won't find any.

There isn't a professional sport in the world that trains year round at peak levels. There is well researched and documented articles and journal entries stating this.

You need to take a break, if athletes having some rest affects you that much.
Can confirm walsh is very much BOG off field, but not sure if that says anything about his commitment to the game.
Curious as to how you can confirm that? If you are close enough to their inner circle to verify, then why haven't you been able to spill any other quality runours in this thread? Leave the muck raking to people like Hutchy who made a career out of it.

I'm not sure what he or any other player has done other than having a night/s out. Is he hanging out with bikies? Is he assaulting people? Is he attending training sessions still under the influence?
Is he turning up to his first day back at work after the break, not in the condition he is meant to? As far as I'm aware it's a no to all those questions. Happy for you to point to instances to prove me wrong.

As for what it takes to reach greatness, I won't pretend to know what it takes because I haven't got there.

I will hazard an educated guess from some of the biographies of the greats though. ALL of the truly great ones I've read, they all partied just as hard as they trained and played.

One exception, Lance Armstrong, and I would much prefer a Michael Jordan type than a Lance Armstrong type.

/end_rant/

Just had to get that off my chest.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to work out how a few beers when your season just ended and you haven't even started preseason yet is a problem.

These guys are human, not robots.
Wait until they here the new celibacy rules for next season....

Sorry boys, can't risk any more injuries.

I’ve heard more than enough about what some players do off field to see these things as a continuation….rather than a season ending break.

take whatever you want from that. I couldn’t care less.

They’re not fair dinkum some of these guys. Walsh is an endurance athlete who has become a very average one over the past couple of years. He is now being beaten easily by Elijah Hollands, Binns Cotts Ollie and the Irish kid. All pre his sore back. If I was him I’d be keen to correct that. Not a lot of ground made up while getting pissed.

It’s a choice. He’s taking it.
I want the players, living hard now. They should be staying up late, on the beers and mingling. Now is the time!!! Unlock the Cage!!! Release the beasts!!!

Perhaps the club doctor prescribed Walsh to kick back and chill. Since he's come into the club he's had the weight of the world on his shoulders in relation to getting the most out of himself. He's had a challenging 2 years dealing with his back and maybe switching off from 'footy' for him for a couple of weeks and being a young man will be a better remedy than yoga, stretches.

After the Olympics you hear how athletes, e.g. Swimmers take months off, pig out, party, live a little then it's back to 3+ years of 9 hours in the pool 6 days a week, weights, etc. AFL players of Walsh's callibre will spend ~15years straight working on their craft and game 48 weeks of the year and still managing themselves for the other 4. If living a little without breaking any laws, then let him be.

I want the players, living hard now. They should be staying up late, on the beers and mingling. Now is the time!!! Unlock the Cage!!! Release the beasts!!!
That's the spirit, get out there and abosultely annihilate those brain cells and livers. That should have them in tip top condition for day one of PS.
I tell you something for free, in my day, if I had the ability that some of these guys have in their pinky fingers, I would have left them all in my wake on the training track, in the gym and during the off season. AFL careers are limited, make hay will the sun shines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same narrative where all the AFL media sold our pick 8 in the Saad trade - “pick 8 will get it done” 🙄

Saad Was worth it.

Noble for pick 12 is up there with Weller for pick 3.

Geez there's some dribble on this thread lately...

Anyone who goes to a session will quickly ascertain Walsh is the hardest trainer in the team - he's an animal on the track and have been told unequivocally by Luke Power he has lifted the standards of mid week preparation significantly.

Quite rightly, he's elevated to the leadership group.

He goes to Bali in the off-season (with his team-mates I may add) and enjoys having a few cold, refreshing Bintangs and next minute he's an off-field rat bag?

Give me a spell.

That's the spirit, get out there and abosultely annihilate those brain cells and livers. That should have them in tip top condition for day one of PS.
I tell you something for free, in my day, if I had the ability that some of these guys have in their pinky fingers, I would have left them all in my wake on the training track, in the gym and during the off season. AFL careers are limited, make hay will the sun shines.
So according to you with the amount of degradation of our boys livers and brain cells, due to a couple of weeks of partying.

Next season will inevitably be below par, because our players lack the discipline to stay off the grog for a couple of weeks.

Funny how any of our players from our premierships in the late seventies and early eighties are still alive according to you.

From what I heard they all went to the pub after training almost every week. Maybe not as much during finals.

When it is all said and done, they are still young men and they deserve some time to be normal.

"Annihilating brain cells" lol this is hilarious. As if drinking does this, absolute myth. Some of the brightest, most creative men in history were raging drinkers. Churchill, Thompson, Hemmingway etc etc.

Suggest you don't watch Monday night when Crippa wins his 2nd Brownlow and the camera lens focuses on the Carlton table ;)

Last edited:
Man Keyboard GIF by South Park

It's hard to understand if you're taking the piss or you really are that miserable and out of touch. Sam walsh had a microdiscectomy in Dec 22, and as such will be managed for the rest of his career with his running loads.

If you think he is ever going to win time trials and the like, which he has NEVER won at the club mind you, then you are dimmer Than I thought. Being in the top group of runners at the club 3+ years ago was also a little different, as we had bugger all strong endurance runners outside of the curnows.

The club has focused on endurance runners since, with Cotts being the first. Sliding a little against strong endurance types after missing 2 preseasons isn't only understandable, it would be superhuman if he didn't.

Cotts is the ONLY player from your list that was on THE LIST that was there pre surgery. You need to take a rest. As for being entitled to season ending breaks. Prove to me they aren't doing at minimum baseline training over their break, and we can talk about professionalism.

In addition, point me to the literature that shows athletes should train all year round at high intensities to further their peak fitness levels. I'll give you a head start, you won't find any.

There isn't a professional sport in the world that trains year round at peak levels. There is well researched and documented articles and journal entries stating this.

You need to take a break, if athletes having some rest affects you that much.

Curious as to how you can confirm that? If you are close enough to their inner circle to verify, then why haven't you been able to spill any other quality runours in this thread? Leave the muck raking to people like Hutchy who made a career out of it.

I'm not sure what he or any other player has done other than having a night/s out. Is he hanging out with bikies? Is he assaulting people? Is he attending training sessions still under the influence?
Is he turning up to his first day back at work after the break, not in the condition he is meant to? As far as I'm aware it's a no to all those questions. Happy for you to point to instances to prove me wrong.

As for what it takes to reach greatness, I won't pretend to know what it takes because I haven't got there.

I will hazard an educated guess from some of the biographies of the greats though. ALL of the truly great ones I've read, they all partied just as hard as they trained and played.

One exception, Lance Armstrong, and I would much prefer a Michael Jordan type than a Lance Armstrong type.

/end_rant/

Just had to get that off my chest.

This is an epic post... spot on.

You would love to hear about what the Carlton teams of the 80's got up to wouldn't you?

"Annihilating brain cells" lol this is hilarious. As if drinking does this, absolute myth. Some of the brightest, most creative men in history were raging drinkers. Churchill, Thompson, Hemmingway etc etc.
Alcohol absolutely damages your cognition after a certain point.

I don't think there is an issue with the boys having a good time for a couple of weeks before coming back for pre-season, but let's not pretend alcohol doesn't hurt you.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back