Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I don’t think Lewis Young is a B Grader.

If C is an average fringe best 22. That’s probably where he is.

A decent option but he’s not above average.

What are Bartel’s credentials as a head of football in a footy club?

As far as I know post football he’s only been media plus a Melbourne based gig as footy Director of GWS (which Diesel is for us but I wouldn’t want him as football boss).

He maybe good, I think the AFL have tried to get him over a couple of times as well but is he experienced enough for a big club like ours with so many egos and so much pressure to get things right?

you know this for a fact?

In the next 12 months (24 months being generous) they'll lose :

1. Dangerfield
2. Tuohy
3. Hawkins
4. Stanley (put Pitto in a trade...)
5. Blicavs
6. Rohan
7. Duncan

All will be 34 or more older during 2025.

with Cam Guthrie, Tom Stewart and Jezza not far behind....

But all good, they've got Bailey Smith coming in....
Touhy, Hawkins and Guthrie are already out of the side, no big deal

The deal with Smith was sewn up months and months ago.

If it’s gotten this far and they don’t know how they’re going to get it done, I’d be shocked. He told close friends and family a long time ago he was going to the Cats (for a ‘life-changing offer’ btw).

Can only hope they didn’t think it all through and they have to shake SDK loose to get our pick 11 🤣.

Yeah I get your point, but no one in their right mind gets rid of sdk for Smith

Can fully see smith being the next Jake stringer. All the talent no application. Maybe Geelong get him right but have my doubts.
I don’t, Geelong will turn him into a superstar.

People forget his quality and he’s still very young. Chris Scott will bring the best out of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF (note big if) he can improve his decision making….particularly when under pressure…

He always looks hesitant …in two minds…unsure

These are easily cause for turnovers

I’m happy with his marking and kicking.
Exactly he needs some confidence and conviction when he is about to distribute the footy.

Just needs to take the simple option.

We couldn't afford the draft picks for Barrass, let alone SDK

IMO SDK would cost about the same as Houston and Barrass in terms of trade capital. Yes Barrass and Houston are both older but they are proven elite performers as opposed to SDK.

More worrying is Austin seems to think you don’t need 2 tall defenders set up like he did with Richmond and the Dogs. The game has changed since then and this year we were exposed down back for height.

How would you fix that?

It’s between the ears.

In form and confident Harry is not what I’d call aggressive but has a greater degree of physical assertiveness. Doesn’t overthink it and picks good options.

Lewis has many of the same physical and mental attributes.

I actually remember it the opposite - he was completely lost as a 3rd tall but pretty decent when he was playing second banana. 2019 was his only year as a fwd alongside Charlie & Harry.

2019: Kicked multiple goals in rounds:
Rd2 - Charlie went off injured
Rd4 - Played with both Harry & Charlie
Rd6 - No Charlie
Rd8 - Played with both Harry & Charlie
Rd21 - No Charlie
Rd22 - No Charlie

Other games when he played with both, he was barely noticeable. He was decent in 2021 as 2nd fiddle, probably his best year for us down there.

I think you're right in regards to Gov not being a natural 'defender', but he's sure as hell not a natural forward by football IQ measures. Consistently lead to the wrong places & didn't have the work ethic for unrewarded running. Players like him and Jones thrive being in defense because they don't have to worry about that, it's a low footy IQ position - they can let the play unfold in front of them and react accordingly instead of trying to read it ahead of time like a forward has to.

He really should just be that 3rd tall defender for us who can wax on/off with Weitering for the intercept role, depending on matchups. He's an elite kick on both sides of his body, is quick and is a good size with a great leap. He's just prone to a brain fart, which every defender is. Decent coaching & a consistent role should see his defensive outputs improve.

Think Kemp & JSOS are the better 3rd tall fwd options, personally.

Curnow, Mckay and McGovern only played 8 games together as forwards and in 2 of them gov/charlie got injured so only 6 proper games. In those 8 games they kicked 39 goals between them (Curnow 16, McGovern 12, McKay 11), at a stage where we were a bottom 2 side. He was "lost" and had "low footy IQ" because he was playing injured/underdone, so of course he is going to struggle to cover ground and impact when he was clearly hampered.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/239934/season-review-mitch-mcgovern

He kicked 30+ goals as a 21 year old. Outside of charlie/harry only owies has cracked this barrier. He ranked 7th in the comp for average goal assists in 2017 (elite), and in 2020 ranked #2 at the club for average goal assists (also elite). So I think if this move happens the biggest beneficiaries will be curnow and mckay, as they will finally have someone who can provide for them, as well as someone who can get on the end of their work when they are delivering the ball inside 50.

One can only hope.

I "went" to uni with Jimmy (he was a poster boy of online study when I was studying). I'm biased when it comes to him.

Things I remember about Jimmy as a student (added context: did a number of group projects with him)

• Diligent student
  • active communicator -- was a regular on the discussion forums
  • No mucking about - was invested in getting the job done to the best of his and the team's ability
  • Accepting of his own (and others) knowledge gaps. Didn't carry on like he knew everything. Respectfully listened to others when they offered something of value. Offered a counter point when he had one. Offered his thoughts openly when asked.
  • Empathetic when others had issues or concerns
Non-study wise: He comes across a bit arrogant at times in the media - and he may well be - but it's the type of arrogance that fits into the above - just gets the job done and has confidence in his abilities.

If Cook has helped us get him to the club then it could be one of the most important moves of his tenure at the club.
Jeez he would be a good get, kinda gets over looked how good he was.
You knew u were absolutely ****ed when worked his ass off to get away and take a mark at CHF, run to 50 & punch it thru.
Would love to see that happen at the club, reckon his “slant” on how the game should be played would be massively beneficial to us.

Also helps he has been around a lot of success, his “arrogance” is well deserved “swagger” something we sorely miss.

The deal with Smith was sewn up months and months ago.

If it’s gotten this far and they don’t know how they’re going to get it done, I’d be shocked. He told close friends and family a long time ago he was going to the Cats (for a ‘life-changing offer’ btw).

Can only hope they didn’t think it all through and they have to shake SDK loose to get our pick 11 🤣.

Regardless how good this draft is pick 11 for a ready made KPD is more than fair.

Not for Houston but definitely for SDK.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Loving the SDK noise, very much doubt we can get him (would be amazing if we did) but we sure as hell can drive his price thru the roof!

Time for us to play more chess then checkers & inflict some damage on other teams caps.

By and large our big pieces are pretty safe (Weiters ain’t going anywhere & wont bleed us - TDK worst case we get 2 first round picks) we need to get some ruthlessness in our approach to everyone else 😈

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back