Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

The only worry for Newman I have is age at 32 next year. Not necessarily moving him on age don't get me wrong (especially in this era), but not sure we can continue to bank on consistent performance & fitness. I wouldn't be banking on any 32 yr old fwiw it's not Newman specific.

Think he has at least 1 more year at a decent level, then I see Lucas Camporeale taking over

Newy has been vastly better than any of us thought he would and we had any right to expect. Has over-achieved massively. I think the best thing he's brought is some grit and spirit. At least he likes sticking a tackle or clipping folks occasionally.

He isn't fast, and his kicking is not amazing. He's capable of knocking over a long goal, or hitting targets. But he also has more up-the-chimney and round-the-corner blind bombs than is healthy* - that is partly him, and partly our shambolic gameplan.

He does not slice other teams apart in the way someone like.... say... Daniel Rioli can. He can have 25 kicks and not much happens, really - we have few players in the side who can have great impact with low possessions. Line-breakers. Even where we have some guys who would SEEM to have that capability.

* this also affects Saad a lot.

It's definitely a talent issue.

Newman is the only genuinely elite user behind the ball.
Doch plays more fwd of centre now.
Williams is not a backman.
Saad is overrated for his disposal. He runs, he bounces, but he never penetrates the defence with his kick. They often have more height than they do length and often go to a contest.

Our best users behind the ball are McGovern and Boyd. McGovern still doesn't intercept anywhere near enough to use his kicking as a weapon. Boyd equally is focused on locking down to get free and do damage.

If you asked me a few months ago, id gave agreed with you. However after watching teams participate in this finals series, it's evident to me that we desperately need someone who can penetrate a teams defence both with run and by foot exiting our backline. These top sides all exit their defence with relative ease, all we have is panic kicking and/ or bombing it long.

Thank you. We are truly growing.👏👏👏

I'm so late on jumping on to this place and just spit balling.

Surely it's not rumour anymore that Cripps, Walsh and Weitering held their own version of exit interviews with each player this year demanding more. Take Voss out of that.

Considering also the public comments by both Cripps and Weitering today saying they hope opposition players take up our huge offers this year, surely it points to where our leaders are in their headspace. Weiters said today that he wants to be a blue for life and wants to see more great players join as no great players would join in his early years, is money a factor for him?

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this year the last year we get to pay 120% of the salary cap due to SOS's only great list move of only paying 80% for three years, coincides with the raise in player payments.

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that we trade our second rounder and future first to tigers for one of their haul of first rounders this year?

Could our NGA provide anything like this:

* Tyson Gresham, the younger brother of Bomber Jade, could become a Blue via the NGA in 2025. A small, robust forward, Gresham has plenty of upside.
"We're really excited with Tyson," Agresta said.
"He's here every second Monday.

* Fellow NGAs Jack Ison and Mingara Clark are also eligible to become Blues in 2025, with the club keen to pour even more time into their zone.

Do we go for kids in that space this year knowing what we are getting. Cody comes in 26.

We won't trade pick 11 this year but we will get another in to trade then take the Campo boys late or rookie.

Flags take time and we have only played two finals campaigns. Maybe i'm taking crazy pills but i'm excited for the direction the club is heading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's not rumour anymore that Cripps, Walsh and Weitering held their own version of exit interviews with each player this year demanding more. Take Voss out of that.

Considering also the public comments by both Cripps and Weitering today saying they hope opposition players take up our huge offers this year, surely it points to where our leaders are in their headspace. Weiters said today that he wants to be a blue for life and wants to see more great players join as no great players would join in his early years, is money a factor for him?

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this year the last year we get to pay 120% of the salary cap due to SOS's only great list move of only paying 80% for three years, coincides with the raise in player payments.

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that we trade our second rounder and future first to tigers for one of their haul of first rounders this year?

* Tyson Gresham, the younger brother of Bomber Jade, could become a Blue via the NGA in 2025. A small, robust forward, Gresham has plenty of upside.

* Fellow NGAs Jack Ison and Mingara Clark are also eligible to become Blues in 2025, with the club keen to pour even more time into their zone.

Do we go for kids in that space this year knowing what we are getting. Cody comes in 26.

We won't trade pick 11 this year but we will get another in to trade then take the Campo boys late or rookie.

Flags take time and we have only played two finals campaigns. Maybe i'm taking crazy pills but i'm excited for the direction the club is heading.
I think that was long ago, potentially the Martin year, and I don't think it was asmuch as 20% above the Cap, If i recall it was only the difference between the minimum cap threshold (which i think is 95%) and the equivalent amount up. I.e 95 vs 105% of the cap.

It's still crazy to me that a team like North has to pay only 5% less, at a maximum, than a team like Geelong or Sydney pays their players. It's crazy.

I think that was long ago, potentially the Martin year, and I don't think it was asmuch as 20% above the Cap, If i recall it was only the difference between the minimum cap threshold (which i think is 95%) and the equivalent amount up. I.e 95 vs 105% of the cap.

It's still crazy to me that a team like North has to pay only 5% less, at a maximum, than a team like Geelong or Sydney pays their players. It's crazy.
It was 20%, that was the reason as there was only one level at the time. I thought it finished 2020-21. That would give us a last year of 2024

Anyone know when Ports exit meeting are?
I know that they are a bitifa

Clubs have to pay a minimum 95% of the salary cap as I understand and were able to bank the extra 5%. Pretty sure that our days of having the extra 5% up our sleeves has long gone.

I know that they are a bitifa
Clubs have to pay a minimum 95% of the salary cap as I understand and were able to bank the extra 5%. Pretty sure that our days of having the extra 5% up our sleeves has long gone.
I won't argue as i don't have the facts to lay out. But i think you will find COVID era effected that

I won't argue as i don't have the facts to lay out. But i think you will find COVID era effected that
Nope. Covid rules cut back the soft cap significantly with the theory being that income streams would dry up and as a result the cuts would help the clubs manage the loss of income. Soft cap is starting to go back up again.

Pretty sure that the 95% minimum spend 5% bank rules have remained unchanged. That's why we front ended a heap of contracts (e g. Jack Martin) back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back