Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like we may slide next year. With our potential outgoing players and replacing them with kids, it could be a finals miss. I do wonder, Cripps and for a majority of our A graders, the time is now, not in 3 years when they are winding up. I'd risk it for the biscuit for 17. I know it's a strong draft but if we are ditching owies and relying on our current smalls, that's a fail. I'd also be going harder for Houston. Time passes quickly and before we know it, the door will be shut.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I tend to agree mate.

If we can’t bring an upgrade(specific for our needs)for owies then I feel we might offer him a basic deal and he stays. Same with whom ever else we dangle out there, if we aren’t being offered something better then they stay(eg Kennedy/ young ect)

Who said he wasn’t…..
He started the season at half back!!
Played almost the entire season as a primarily center bounce midfielder

1728275687158.png

Our outgoing players are primarily injury prone. We have a next level group of players ready that we have had small glimpses of in Lord, Binns, Moir and hopefully Billy Wilson. We'll pick up some good kids including Campos.

We only have to keep our troops on the field at a level that every other team does and we'll be better than this year. And this year our TDK lead best was nearly as good as that of any other team.

The melts on here at this time of the year are amazing.
Wilson Binns Moir Lord all unproven and could be a bust. Campos haven't even played a game yet mate. Moir could end up as Troy Menzel part 2. Why not go for proven players in your window? Geelong have done that pretty well for over a decade.

In the absence of Bluemours, I'm delighted to announce that Bigfooty is no longer loading like a snail.

K-Pop Psy GIF
Gangnam Style Psy GIF by Vevo

I feel like we may slide next year. With our potential outgoing players and replacing them with kids, it could be a finals miss. I do wonder, Cripps and for a majority of our A graders, the time is now, not in 3 years when they are winding up. I'd risk it for the biscuit for 17. I know it's a strong draft but if we are ditching owies and relying on our current smalls, that's a fail. I'd also be going harder for Houston. Time passes quickly and before we know it, the door will be shut.

All the out going players are shit, injury prone or over rated

Calm down

Get JSOS to get Houston to nominate Carlton and Carlton only.

He's got 1 chance to make the right call with moving back to Victoria and playing with his best mate and Crippa.

From what I took away from Austin’s interview this AM with Cal Twomey is that the club are keen for Houston to nominate us. Gives us slightly better leverage than what we have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm calm mate, just saying we are going to look pretty silly if Jack Martin plays 18 games next year at Geelong. Sad truth is, I can actually see a team like Geelong making it happen. They have a track record.

This is a team that was sitting in 2nd on the ladder with like 5 rounds to go and having dealt with a lot of injuries. It was simply the extra injuries on top that decimated us. The list despite its shortcomings is still good enough to win the premiership. Houston would be an amazing addition for us since our backline is our oldest line but the world doesn’t crash down if we don’t get him. In fact, hitting the draft harder might balance out the salary cap and allow us more flexibility to retain TDK.

Let’s not forget that the guys we let go weren’t even playing anyway so we don’t really lose much by bringing in kids. With Tassie coming in it will be important to hit the draft hard for a couple of years and nail those picks.

You aren't alone.
We don't get to decide though.
Our players want him too.
Always important to think about team chemistry and Houston wants us.
Houston is a top player.
Frustrating as hell

Oh well. Looks like we are moving on.

Wilson Binns Moir Lord all unproven and could be a bust. Campos haven't even played a game yet mate. Moir could end up as Troy Menzel part 2. Why not go for proven players in your window? Geelong have done that pretty well for over a decade.

Because that doesn't guarantee you a flag. Doesn't even necessarily guarantee you'll improve, especially if you bring in a player whose addition then impacts the output of other guys. Case in point - Grundy at Melbourne.

It's not an argument to never bring in experienced players, of course, that would be silly. But it needs to be targeted acquisitions of the right player at the right time and the right cost.

Houston is a good, even very good player. But he's one half back flanker, who isn't going to transform our gameplay by himself. He can be tagged, he can be made accountable. He's not a 205cm KPF who might pull three defenders, or a premium ruckman who all but guarantees us first use at stoppages.

If Port want the equivalent of two decent first rounders for him, we should be walking away. He ain't that important.

And as important as it is to chase a flag, you don't go all in with two year's worth of draft assets for a good half back flanker, because what happens somewhere from 2-5 years later is your list implodes and you have to spend 8 years rebuilding again.

I'd love Cripps to win a flag. But we don't have an obligation to mortgage the club for his benefit. He's the captain, and one of his responsibilities is to get the most out of the players he's leading - to date, I don't think anyone could genuinely argue that we've seen that. He's also not the only elite player on the list who we should be planning around. Weiters, Harry and Charlie could all have probably 6-7 years in them, Walsh and TDK could easily be 8, Kemp and the Hollands boys looking at 10+.

Cripps is a massive piece of the puzzle, but other sides are winning flags without a Cripps.

I'm calm mate, just saying we are going to look pretty silly if Jack Martin plays 18 games next year at Geelong. Sad truth is, I can actually see a team like Geelong making it happen. They have a track record.

Yes but we couldn't keep paying a guy who plays a couple of games over 2 years and gets hurt each time ..

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

On the flip side Rhino some of our so called proven players haven't exactly delivered, like Marchbank and Martin. Also players like Cerra, Motlop, Cottrell got games this year without any proven form to back up their selection and were very disappointing.

Why bother recruiting the likes of Moir, Wilson and Binns and not give them a chance. We did with Cowan this year and I think we'll continue with Moir and Lord next year.

Even Nick Austin's trade interview today made the point that we are looking to get more games into Moir, along with Williams and the return of Jack Silvagni on the forward line - a mix of young and experienced, not just overpaid imports.

They certainly will be a bust if they aren't given a chance.

I tend to agree mate.

If we can’t bring an upgrade(specific for our needs)for owies then I feel we might offer him a basic deal and he stays. Same with whom ever else we dangle out there, if we aren’t being offered something better then they stay(eg Kennedy/ young ect)

I think we will be greatly improved. You get Walsh Cerra Docherty Silvagni McKay Charlie Durdin Boyd Motlop Fogarty TDK Williams fit and we are better already and by a lot

Elijah Ollie (to HB) Kemp Cowan Cincotta will get a lot better

I see Lord Binns O'Keefe Moir Wilson as pushing for Best 22 spots

Then there is what we add. Pick 12, maybe another first round pick, Haynes, Campo twins and a couple of role players. We aren't losing anyone that makes us worse

IMO the key is fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back