Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair trade. AA player in his peak who we’ve apparently been courting for months.

If shoe was on the other foot we’d be looking for the same.

Instead we’ll be gun shy and add a couple of kids.

What makes you think we've been courting him for months? My read of the situation has been that Houston wants us but we're only keen if we can get him for value. If the shoe was on the other foot I'd trade him to North.

Not saying hes not a valuable player but 12&14 for a half-back is the wrong move for us.

The whole Houston thing is like an episode of Days of our Lives, with Leppa wanting to be the new villain...
Does that mean Houston will end up being Leppa's twin sister?

I am not sure pick 3 is better than 12 and 14. We aren't one or two players away from a premiership we are 4 or 5. Pick 3 would have more security but if we draft well, two really good players that fit into our team with 12 and 14 is a better result. It the draft is so good I'm not sure this is the best result. Hope we get it right.
I haven't been following too much, but this year is supposed to be a super draft which goes pretty deep - so I don't understand why we would go for #3, whilst 12 & 14 will give us a really good chance with getting decent players anyway

What makes you think we've been courting him for months? My read of the situation has been that Houston wants us but we're only keen if we can get him for value.
Lines of communication has been for about 2 months

If the shoe was on the other foot I'd trade him to North.
Think he wants more immediate success

Not saying hes not a valuable player but 12&14 for a half-back is the wrong move for us.
Would never be contemplated

Just for fun, here’s the past 10 Pick 3’s. It’s an interesting mix.

2023 - Jed Walter

2022 - Harry Sheezel

2021 - Finn Callaghan

2020 - Will Phillips

2019 - Luke Jackson

2018 - Izak Rankine

2017 - Paddy Dow

2016 - Hugh McCluggage

2015 - Callum Mills

2014 - Angus Brayshaw
The only player on that list who can be seen as a bust so far is Paddy Dow, surely we couldn't make the same mistake again if we had Pick 3 this year. I have more confidence in Austin getting it right than I had in SOS to be honest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he wants more immediate success

Of course he'd rather play for a good team over a bad team. But if I am Port, I am saying to him "Look the teams you want to go to either lack the ability or desire to get you in, North's offer is great for us and for you. If you wanna go to Victoria, it'll be the Roos. If you don't want them, we will welcome you back here with open arms"

OK Let me put it another way (for the sake of those 14 points);

So we started this trade period with Picks 11, 31, 62, 65, 68 which became 12, 32, 63, 66, 69

EFA: We lose Owies for nothing, and we trade 12, 14, Carrol & Kennedy to get to Pick 3, having already traded A future first, a future second, 32, 63, 66, to get 14, Fut 2nd, 72, 73.

So effectively we will have traded 12, 14, 32, 63, 66, Carroll & Kennedy, A future first, a future second, to get 3, 72, 89

EFA: We come out of it with: Pick 3, Fut 2nd, 69, 72, 73.

On what planet is that a good deal?
Planet Carlton, it's a reverse S.O.S lol, his picks were mostly ordinary but he could squeeze a good deal.
Would be nice in an ideal world if he could do our trades and Agresta picked them for us.

The only player on that list who can be seen as a bust so far is Paddy Dow, surely we couldn't make the same mistake again if we had Pick 3 this year. I have more confidence in Austin getting it right than I had in SOS to be honest.

And Silvagni ended up at St.Kilda

You get less for murder these days …

Just for fun, here’s the past 10 Pick 3’s. It’s an interesting mix.

2023 - Jed Walter

2022 - Harry Sheezel

2021 - Finn Callaghan

2020 - Will Phillips

2019 - Luke Jackson

2018 - Izak Rankine

2017 - Paddy Dow

2016 - Hugh McCluggage

2015 - Callum Mills

2014 - Angus Brayshaw
Can you please do this for pick 4 because whilst we may get pick 3 we would probably pick at 4

From speaking to a current Power player… Vossy had Houston lined up from a while back. Can’t see how Vossy wouldn’t be spewing at how it has panned out, rightly or wrongly - should a coach be doing the list mangers job?
I'm 100% fine with a coach saying he'd like to recruit player x.

But it's the list manager's job to vet the idea and pursue a trade only if it can be achieved at reasonable value.

All available evidence suggests Austin stood his ground and didn't get bullied / sucked into overpaying.

I haven't been following too much, but this year is supposed to be a super draft which goes pretty deep - so I don't understand why we would go for #3, whilst 12 & 14 will give us a really good chance with getting decent players anyway
I am guessing another top 30 pick is coming back and there is a superstar in that range who will slot straight into our onball group and make a big big impact right away.

I can probably get around that.

Our holes are all dependant on what our youth does next season. Moir, Wilson, Cowan, Lord, Binns, Durdin goes back to his 2022 form and all of a sudden we have depth. We have forwards who can play. We have a midfield that can chase and tackle. Add a really gun youngster and some talented ones in the reserves around the fringes then we have a good side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back