Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Reactions to Kemp are massively overblown. He likely isn't in our best 22 next year if everyones fit.

Depth yes, but we can replace what they bring fairly easily imo.

If it helps us acquire other targets I'm all for the ruthless cleanout Austin is doing. Might set us back slightly for 12 months but guarantee we're better for it

Even if you argue Kemp is not currently in our best team, that kind of depth is NOT easily replaced.
He's a developing, improving tall 1st round pick who's played 38 games in a finals team in the last 2 years. And outside Weitering, our tall defenders are a 30 year old Mitch McGovern, a 32 year old Nick Haynes, and Lewis Young who was allowed to seek a trade and didn't get a bite.

Jack Silvagni may go back, but then our tall forward depth would be Lemmy...

We're challenging for a flag. Letting a player like Kemp hurts that.
Would need to be huge overs to put us in a better position.

Even if you argue Kemp is not currently in our best team, that kind of depth is NOT easily replaced.
He's a developing, improving tall 1st round pick who's played 38 games in a finals team in the last 2 years. And outside Weitering, our tall defenders are a 30 year old Mitch McGovern, a 32 year old Nick Haynes, and Lewis Young who was allowed to seek a trade and didn't get a bite.

Mcmahon is the answer

Personally I’d be keeping Kemp unless a really good offer comes back.

Excellent mark, big bodied, does need to improve decision making etc, but he’s still only 23 and has continually got better. Is versatile as well.

And we need depth, players are always injured. Added, he’s probably best 22 now anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. Good summation. Kemp kinda reminds me of Crosswell. Great mark, agile, play anywhere, matchwinner potential. keep.

We should be looking for future picks for Kennedy and Kemp (if he is to go - I hope not). That would then give us the ability to trade back in on draft night if a player is still available that we want.

Currently we have no ability for live trading

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I understand we're prioritizing this draft. Then next year, we will utilise picks in 2027 to prioritise 2026 and Cody Walker. 2027 being Tasmania's draft and therefore compromised.

We're actually quite lucky with the Tasmania stuff.

• We can utilise capital, including future picks, to attack the draft now - this allows us to bring in elite talent as quickly as possible to support our Top 8 list now in win now mode.
  • Then, next year despite trading out of the first round we can target a potential top end pick in Cody Walker under father son. During next year, when clubs are limited trading future picks given the draft will be highly compromised by Tasmania and therefore future picks will be devalued in an actual sense, we don't need to worry because all we'll be looking to do is bring in points for Cody.
  • When 2027 roles around, we have done a big chunk of our list refresh already. With a strong core under 27 years old comprising Tom DeKoning, Adam Cerra, Sam Walsh, Brodie Kemp, Elijah Hollands, Jesse Motlop, Oli Hollands, Lachie Cowan, Cooper Lord, Ashton Moir, Pick #3, Cody Walker, Campo twins etc. We can afford not to be at the tippy top of this draft when other clubs like Collingwood, Geelong, Essendon, Bulldogs, St Kilda etc may be bottoming out and looking to refresh their list with elite talent that will be reserved for Tasmania.

Just popped over to the aints board for a looksy...

some reasonable posters recognising that the mooted 32nd selection is inadequate. but then this gem:

"32 for Macrae.
45 for Kemp.

Take them or we walk"...

Have to agree - midfielders like Kennedy (regardless of how well liked and great clubman) are tradable in these circumstances as we have cover - tall stocks are paper thin.

👍

Yep 100% agree. Letting Kemp go for a draft pick, while in our window and needing depth, and having already traded out depth (Owies, Kennedy) just seems like the wrong play.

Nailed it

Reactions to Kemp are massively overblown. He likely isn't in our best 22 next year if everyones fit.

If it helps us acquire other targets I'm all for the ruthless cleanout Austin is doing. Might set us back slightly for 12 months but guarantee we're better for it

I agree. But if we are going to get rid of Kemp for a gamble on a kid in the third round, then I keep Kemp.

Given our injury history, we need depth especially with KPPs. It will need to take something good in order for us to risk not having that depth.

Um, how did the players look come playing Brissy and being down 8/9 goals by half time. And of those last 6-7 games of the season we beat a couple of lowly ranked sides in Kangas/Eagles. And of the close games you talk about both those teams did make finals so are weak teams.

Our game plan bashed ourselves senseless.

In your favour, Voss is on the same wavelength.
You are only thinking about one game. We were not at full strength or fit and I think playing injured players didn't help either. Brisbane also won the flag. Some people get upset about it but we were never going to win or have a decent chance of winning that game. You talked about beating the lower teams but didn't mention that we beat 4 of the top 5 teams this season.

All the investment in Kemp and then trade for first and/or second round picks on a speculative player?

What are we? A feeder club?

No thanks.

We're hunting for a cup and imo Kemp is part of that hunt.
Agree. Really need to start making some statements with trading and it's not just about Kemp (who is contracted and required).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won two Coleman's are you serious?
Sorry I was focusing on the can’t kick and down hill skier part because Curnow has consistently failed in finals and kicked us out of the game against Collingwood to make finals in 2022.

Bolton has been a goal and a half a game, 20 touch, small forward who can go through the midfield over the last three years in average sides. He is exactly what we are looking for.

Agree. As highly as Kemp may be rated, he is still not guaranteed a spot in that forward line, which is where we seem to want him playing. Sos would know this.

With the 2 talls, EH, at least a couple of smalls, then the running types like Doc/Cotts, there is not a lot of room. Particularly if Moir grabs his chances. I can't see us playing H, Charlie, Kemp and Moir together.

Saints are not getting him with what they currently have, so they need to get creative. Either move up by combining 32 and 45 and whatever else, or split 8 and come up with something around 20.

Why not? Kemp 3rd tall. Moir medium sized forward. Williams and Motlop round it out.

Kemp has more value than John Noble yet teams will scoff at anything above a third rounder.

I heard Noble deal was actually agreed to on day 1, but Noble was alone so far outside his manager's office and refused to contest with traffic to sign the contract... ;)

So anyone know how many list spots we have? (Assuming kennedy leaves, kemp stays, we keep pick 3 and get both campo boys)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Believe it comes down to what we do with Jack Caroll and Sam Durdin who are still on the list now, but unlikely to be by draft night.

We are in our window now, Kemp is 23, yet to play 50 games and will only get better, unless we can use a pick coming back or player coming back that improves us now and not in 2-3 years time, I feel it will be a poor call

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back