Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 34 on the senior list & 3 on the rookie list. Add both Martin and Newnes and that brings it up to a 37/3 split.

We currently hold picks 9, 43, 57, 70 and 85 in the draft.

Squads are generally either 38/6, 39/5 or 40/4.

38/6 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 3 rookie picks
39/5 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 57, 2 rookie picks
40/4 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 57, 70, 1 rookie pick

If we land Newnes I don't think we'll look at any other DFA's but it looks certain to me that we'll be active traders again on draft night.
Regarding to the 38/6 option, using only ND picks 9 and 43; is there no longer a mandatory 3 ND pick criteria?

Just think if we looked at Keays and Robertson (Bris) that would help with depth. When do we get a choice at mature aged? Thanks champ

DFA period 1: November 1 - November 11
DFA period 2: November 13 - November 22

We can pick any of the delisted players up in that window, or via any of the upcoming drafts.

There are some who I think could be decent additions in the right environment, but as is the case every year, list spots are at a premium.

We will add Martin via the PSD and it looks like we may also take Newnes as a DFA, but given our list there's probably no room for any other unless we do so via the draft.

As we have over the past few years, we may look to add further experience via the rookie draft, though priorities may change with a different head coach, and another year of development into the kids.

Regarding to the 38/6 option, using only ND picks 9 and 43; is there no longer a mandatory 3 ND pick criteria?
I would prefer if we could use 9 and 43 on draft night and then grab 2 or 3 dfa's and mature aged players. We could also still delist Lang
DFA period 1: November 1 - November 11
DFA period 2: November 13 - November 22

We can pick any of the delisted players up in that window, or via any of the upcoming drafts.

There are some who I think could be decent additions in the right environment, but as is the case every year, list spots are at a premium.

We will add Martin via the PSD and it looks like we may also take Newnes as a DFA, but given our list there's probably no room for any other unless we do so via the draft.

As we have over the past few years, we may look to add further experience via the rookie draft, though priorities may change with a different head coach, and another year of development into the kids.
Still like the idea of maybe 2 dfas, another gibbo mature and delist Lang who currently has no contract for next year yet. There may be 1 more delisting yet!!

We have 34 on the senior list & 3 on the rookie list. Add both Martin and Newnes and that brings it up to a 37/3 split.

We currently hold picks 9, 43, 57, 70 and 85 in the draft.

Squads are generally either 38/6, 39/5 or 40/4.

38/6 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 3 rookie picks
39/5 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 57, 2 rookie picks
40/4 - Martin, Newnes, 9, 43, 57, 70, 1 rookie pick

If we land Newnes I don't think we'll look at any other DFA's but it looks certain to me that we'll be active traders again on draft night.

We'll certainly be using 57, and likely 70 as well.
I don't think we're cutting Deluca so that we can take 2 picks in the rookie draft.

You can take the minimum 2 if you also elevate a rookie (which now happens before the draft).

We'll certainly be using 57, and likely 70 as well.
I don't think we're cutting Deluca so that we can take 2 picks in the rookie draft.

So a 39/5 split seems likely, maybe even 40/4.

I reckon we'll either split 9, or package later picks to move up on the night.

Newnes is worth nothing. We are paying nothing. Fair enough.

I'd probably have him on the list over DeLuca.

If he is in our senior team next year, then there are some bad signs for the players who aren't.

Hope he has a solid year for the NB's and his experience helps them be a consistent footy team and helps transform them from being a place where developing and depth players go to basically die.
Going against the grain it seems on DeLuca but I’d love to see him get rookied and have a crack with a preseason under his belt. Get’s to the 50:50 ball pretty well,Doesn’t mind a tackle which is handy. Only knock is his decision making/ skills under pressure but as I said above he does a lot in contested situations.

I would prefer if we could use 9 and 43 on draft night and then grab 2 or 3 dfa's and mature aged players. We could also still delist Lang

Still like the idea of maybe 2 dfas, another gibbo mature and delist Lang who currently has no contract for next year yet. There may be 1 more delisting yet!!
Lang's a similar player to Cunningham. Given that neither have managed to stay fit for long periods of a season, one can cover absence of the other. I'd keep him for at least 1 more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all honesty, I’d prefer Newnes to Brandon Ellis. If you look at his career prior to the last 2 seasons he was good. In a way he has been a victim of a midfield that, apart from Steven, had no excitement. They had dreams of being a finals team, those dreams were crushed and they understandably started throwing the magnets around. He’s spent a lot of the last two years playing forward.

I’m not trying to suggest he is a great player, but he is a good AFL standard player. 3 or 4 years ago he was looking like a player of the future, he’s had a reality check with the Saints offering a much lower contract than previous and no other teams showing much interest as a fa. Maybe it could light a fuse for him? He does have talent and at the very least will be a very good player to bring in with injuries.

There still seems to be some talent out there for us to pick up and improve our depth and competition for spots (and get the Northern Blues into the finals) as we develop the kids.

Two (or even three) of Newnes, Sam Gray, Ben Keays, Nick Robertson, Ryan Bastinac, Sam Murray and Allen Christensen would do nicely to complement the addition of Jack Martin and Eddie.

There’s been no updates on Christensen so I think he remains uncontracted and he was in the Lions best 22 this year and played both finals. He’s 28 so only a short term solution like Gray.

Keays is taller but trying to play like a small forward and is absolutely worth a punt. My personal preference would be adding Newnes, Gray and Keays.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Newnes every day of the week and easily best 22 for mine.

On the wing? If so there would be a few contending for those two positions (if wing is what you have in mind) LOB, Setters, Martin, Newnes, Walsh (although I think he will play in the middle moving forward)

Out of the names mentioned who gets the two spots? One to Newnes and who get the other? Unless you're thinking one on the bench

I think we have five spots to fill...and only have to take two in the draft.

Martin is the obvious priority.
I really like Newnes - is fit, tough and the right age demographic.
Flip a coin for Gray, Keys, Christensen - but they all fill a need of mature bodies, and small forward role we are crying out for.

Would be a smart move to rookie Bennell and/or Murray with their off-field 'issues'.

I have no issues going to the draft with picks 9 & 43 and adding 3-5 players with AFL experience.

The players named are certainly not in the 'class' of mullett, O'Shea etc..they could fill a role and add to our team.

I think we have five spots to fill...and only have to take two in the draft.

Martin is the obvious priority.
I really like Newnes - is fit, tough and the right age demographic.
Flip a coin for Gray, Keys, Christensen - but they all fill a need of mature bodies, and small forward role we are crying out for.

Would be a smart move to rookie Bennell and/or Murray with their off-field 'issues'.

I have no issues going to the draft with picks 9 & 43 and adding 3-5 players with AFL experience.

The players named are certainly not in the 'class' of mullett, O'Shea etc..they could fill a role and add to our team.
If we delist Lang that adds 1 more spot. I would rather Keys than Lang for sure.

Any word on why we haven't offered Newman a contract extension yet? He should have been an instant 2 or 3 year based on how great a pickup he is. You would think with Newman and Simmo back there, I would love to see DOC playing on the outside dependent if he is fit.

Out - Pickett, Thomas, Kerr, Schumacher, Garlett, Phillips, Lobbe, Fasolo
In - Betts, Pittonet

6 senior list positions
(5 if we get Newnes as DFA, 4 at ND, and then last spot for Martin at PSD)

Out - Lebois, DeLuca

2 Rookie List positions

In all honesty, I’d prefer Newnes to Brandon Ellis. If you look at his career prior to the last 2 seasons he was good. In a way he has been a victim of a midfield that, apart from Steven, had no excitement. They had dreams of being a finals team, those dreams were crushed and they understandably started throwing the magnets around. He’s spent a lot of the last two years playing forward.

I’m not trying to suggest he is a great player, but he is a good AFL standard player. 3 or 4 years ago he was looking like a player of the future, he’s had a reality check with the Saints offering a much lower contract than previous and no other teams showing much interest as a fa. Maybe it could light a fuse for him? He does have talent and at the very least will be a very good player to bring in with injuries.

Just quickly on this.

Ellis was a regular in the best team of the last 3 years and a two time premiership player, who his club wanted to keep.

Newnes, was so highly rated by his cellar dwelling club, that they offered him a deal that effectively pushed him out the door, he had no takers during the free agency period and finds himself having to delist himself.

That right there is a pretty good indication that Ellis is rated in the industry as a considerably better player, not to mention, one will be getting paid $600,000 to play next year and the other will be lucky to get half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back