Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the wing? If so there would be a few contending for those two positions (if wing is what you have in mind) LOB, Setters, Martin, Newnes, Walsh (although I think he will play in the middle moving forward)

Out of the names mentioned who gets the two spots? One to Newnes and who get the other? Unless you're thinking one on the bench

Martin on a half forward flank, pushing up.
Setters more time on ball, possibly coming off the bench.
Walsh starting on the ball, every day of the week.

Leaves LOB and Newnes on the wings, but also need to consider Murphy playing more outside, as well as blokes like Fisher and SPS who we probably need to give some consideration regarding positions.

I could see something like:

Plowman, Jones, Weitering
Docherty, Marchbank, SPS
Newnes, Curnow, Murphy
Kreuzer, Cripps, Walsh
Martin, Curnow, Silvagni
McGovern, McKay, Betts
I/C: Setterfield, Newman, Gibbons, Simpson
EMG pending form/fitness: Casboult, Fisher, Cuningham, Dow, O'Brien, Kennedy, Stocker, Williamson

Being our most competitive 22. That being the side with the best chance of going 4 quarters with the top sides, through a combination of ability, maturity and grit.

We address some of the issues of having a young side by adding an experienced Betts and Martin to the forward half, and a seasoned AFL runner in Newnes on the wing.

A few previously "firm" starters in Fisher, Dow, O'Brien and (when fit) Cuningham aren't necessarily out of the picture, I just think they take the experience they've gained in the last few seasons at the top level to go back and start dominating at VFL level. Then it's on them to perform consistently well enough that the get picked ahead of guys like Newnes, Newman and Gibbons, and are ready to step up should the older blokes in Simmo, Betts and Murphy start to fall away.

Just quickly on this.

Ellis was a regular in the best team of the last 3 years and a two time premiership player, who his club wanted to keep.

Newnes, was so highly rated by his cellar dwelling club, that they offered him a deal that effectively pushed him out the door, he had no takers during the free agency period and finds himself having to delist himself.

That right there is a pretty good indication that Ellis is rated in the industry as a considerably better player, not to mention, one will be getting paid $600,000 to play next year and the other will be lucky to get half that.

Yep. I don’t think Ellis is GREAT but he is instantly best 18 for us. Pretending otherwise is nonsensical.

Just quickly on this.

Ellis was a regular in the best team of the last 3 years and a two time premiership player, who his club wanted to keep.

Newnes, was so highly rated by his cellar dwelling club, that they offered him a deal that effectively pushed him out the door, he had no takers during the free agency period and finds himself having to delist himself.

That right there is a pretty good indication that Ellis is rated in the industry as a considerably better player, not to mention, one will be getting paid $600,000 to play next year and the other will be lucky to get half that.

Reckon the cost might have something to do with Parap's leaning. Never said Newnes was the better player.

The problem with Ellis is that he's as soft as butter, so you need a team of Richmond's quality in order to carry a player like him. He would be a liability in our young team.

Honestly, I know nothing about Newnes, so maybe he falls in to the same category, but at the very least he's the cheaper of the two options.

Gibbo got better as the season went on, and flourished under Teague.

Based on 2019, gibbons is the better player
Or maybe people watched the stats sheet and not the game.

Maybe people didn't appreciate how difficult it is to play as a small forward in a poor team.

Maybe people weren't paying attention to the unrewarded running or the excellent defensive pressure Gibbo provided every week.

Yeah he improved under Teague but the whole side did so that's only natural given the role he played, and the increased opportunities he received to play a familiar role in the middle.

The early criticism was harsh and undeserved.

Out - Pickett, Thomas, Kerr, Schumacher, Garlett, Phillips, Lobbe, Fasolo
In - Betts, Pittonet

6 senior list positions
(5 if we get Newnes as DFA, 4 at ND, and then last spot for Martin at PSD)

Out - Lebois, DeLuca

2 Rookie List positions
For a 40/4 split we have 6 main list and 1 rookie list vacancy.

2 spots for Martin, newnes.

4 remaining spots we either draft 3, or perhaps 4 if someone falls through we like.

If we take 3, we keep 1 spot up our sleeve for mid year. My bet is we take 3 only.

Then we use 1 rookie selection at pick 3 in the rookie draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if it's already been mentioned: skipped a few pages.
Anyone know if we're looking at Jake Townsend from the Tiges?
He started with a bit of a bang but haven't heard much about him lately.

The Newnes pick up doesn’t excite me at all, I would have much rather kept Dale Thomas, who loves the Blues and was desperate to play on and who was playing good football.

Dale can play multiple positions and probably been cheaper than Newnes, I hope I’m wrong on this, but I don’t see Newnes as a long term best 22.

We tend to talk up players that we hear are our targets. Sounds like there is enough indication from info gathered by our posters here that newnes is not all that good.

No He is not (from my opinion)

At best, Newnes is a depth player/injury replacement type, his kicking and decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

Look if he comes, I will get behind the lad and support him, I just honestly think there is better options out there on the DFA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back