Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Only thing I'm skeptical on is that these multi team trades never get done.
It has been a strange year so who knows.

Next 2 weeks can't come quick enough.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
The AFL has ended these 4 way trades, with picks now being on traded.

Realistically 1 trade will be done between 2 clubs that unlocks it, then it flows on from that.

I can’t see a situation where all 4 clubs run into the office with 4 to 5 managers and sign off on it, well it’s going to be a zoom call most likely

I think you are right in normal times. But what if the AFL scale back salaries by 30% next year? If you front load Saad's contract by say, paying him $1M pa for the first 2 years, then that equates to $1.43M out of the salary cap. I'm guessing COVID may be scuttled Martin-type PSD deals. Just a hunch. Others here will know more about this than me. ND a better option IMO anyway, covid or no covid

Can you show your workings?

Regardless of front or back loading, if every player gets a percentage cut then there's no impact on the overall cap. If we're paying 12mil to our players, and the AFL rolls out a 33% paycut, then we just end up paying 8mil instead. The player getting front-loaded still takes the same percentage cut as everyone else.

Somewhat different, somewhat similar

While it will make it harder for us to obtain Saad, unlike Papley, he is OOC. We may not end up with Saad, but dodo would not want to lose him for nothing, especially after stating what he thought he was worth

Agreed but my point is if he knows he can't lose him for nothing, ie we can't afford to take him to the PSD, then we are in the same position as the Swans.

It is part of the reason I can't believe that we can only get Oliver if we don't take Saad to the PSD.

If this is true then it will be dependent on Wines leaving Port. Would Demons let Oliver go without having another inside bull coming their way.

Potentially yes, if they have faith that Brayshaw can step up in Oliver's absence. He was outstanding in 2018 on the inside.

It might be that they replace Oliver with Brayshaw inside and look to add a significant piece on the outside, which most would agree is a major weakness.

No doubt there would be other picks being shuffled.

Pick 7 is a decent carrot for a club that finished top 4, Fantasia is almost a direct replacement for Ebert, despite being slightly different players.

I think 7 and steak-knives is right on the money for Wines, personally. And if Port rate Fantasia then it's handy steak-knives indeed.

Well, it's simple. Get Oliver done first, then talk to Dodoro with whatever resources you have left. State under no uncertain terms that you're still happy to see him go to another club via the PSD than you are to overpay, but you'll do your best to see Essendon's offer - if fair - is met.

And I still don't see how Oliver gets done without losing a KPP prospect. Melbourne don't need most of what we have, except for TDK, Harry or Charlie, and they'd be losing one of their best mids.
If Dees are getting Ben Brown, their need for a fwd diminishes.

I think you are right in normal times. But what if the AFL scale back salaries by 30% next year? If you front load Saad's contract by say, paying him $1M pa for the first 2 years, then that equates to $1.43M out of the salary cap. I'm guessing COVID may have scuttled Martin-type PSD deals. Just a hunch. Others here will know more about this than me. ND a better option IMO anyway, covid or no covid

Haven't the AFLPA agreed that is the AFL scale back the slalry cap all the contracts get scaled back accordingly?

If Dees are getting Ben Brown, their need for a fwd diminishes.
Agreed. Fingers crossed they can find something to get it done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That latest blumour is the absolute definition of pie in the sky. Kennedy for Oliver, spare me.
I'm certain that it was just the player machinations as suggestions, drums (not including obvious picks that would need to change hands). Noone in their right mind would think Wines is a straight swap for Oliver :p

Also... something really sets me off kilter about SPS suggestions. The club love him, the boys love him and he loves the club and boys. Has barely missed a game since he came - despite injury or fitness.

He's the one that we'd regret losing, though could 100% understand Melbourne being keen on him. I just hope they're not so that we don't have to deal him.

With Newman back, Marchy back, Saad and Williams (part time down back) coming - SPS can be re-released up the ground and deliver into the F50 as he should be.

He'll get better as we push up the ladder. Special talent who we've invested heavily into.

Interestingly if Oliver has nominated this early (quietly, not in the media but to clubs) that goes to what SOS said yesterday about player managers needing to take responsibility and talk to the club early to give them time to stomach it and then put together a list management plan to account for it.

Can you show your workings?

Regardless of front or back loading, if every player gets a percentage cut then there's no impact on the overall cap. If we're paying 12mil to our players, and the AFL rolls out a 33% paycut, then we just end up paying 8mil instead. The player getting front-loaded still takes the same percentage cut as everyone else.
Pretty sure someone had eluded to us having a % reduction plan in place already anyway.

If the club hasn't put in the ground work to be prepared for something that ahs been a possibility for 8 months, what are we doing?

How in gods name are we supposed to enter into a complex, multi club mega trade with Dodo involved?

The guy tries to haggle for a lower pie price at the servo while 30 customers wait to pay for fuel.

Fantasia and Oliver would have senile dementia by the time that pillock Got his sh*t together.
Cannot see the proposed 4 team trade rumour eventuating.

If Melbourne can organise to bring in a cheaper replacement (Mitchell, Treloar) I reckon we might be on.

Interested to see Melbourne's response, if true. Could easily be dead in the water if they want to hold Oliver to his contract.

OR drops a Thursday morning nugget saying Oliver wants to officially come to Carlton.

30 pages of discussion later and we'll be turning on ourselves for some arbitrary reason.

😂 That cat is thinking, “This could get ugly”.

If losing any of Stocker, SPS, LOB, JSOS, Kennedy helps us gain Oliver & Saad then its goodbye and thanks for your services.

Yeah, 100% this. They are the same five players I listed as being expendable but potentially attractive to other clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back