Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

Sorry but just cannot see the 4 teams agreeing to anything with those players involved.

Melbourne will be keen to hold onto Oliver, Port won’t want to let Wines go either, Hinkley on radio earlier today basically said Wines won’t be going anywhere despite * asking about him for the past 8 years.

Can you show your workings?

Regardless of front or back loading, if every player gets a percentage cut then there's no impact on the overall cap. If we're paying 12mil to our players, and the AFL rolls out a 33% paycut, then we just end up paying 8mil instead. The player getting front-loaded still takes the same percentage cut as everyone else.
This is my thinking - if you make an offer in the PSD, you must pay that dollar figure. So $1M is $1M, but is effectively like paying $1.43M if you think about the overall cap pre-covid scale-back (eg. $1M divided by 70% = $1.43M). And then on the other hand, if you back end a player like Cripps, his smaller salary in earlier years is scaled back but he gets the full whack in later years (not a bad deal for Crippa) but then our cap blows out. I'm just thinking the COVID scale back makes it harder for clubs to shift salaries back and forward as the scale back will only be for a year or two and maybe this is why OR is saying the cap will be an issue with Saad in the PSD. I'm just guessing. What do you think BB?

If the thread needed to move on from SOS/Liddle arguments, Oliver to Carlton oughta do it....

How that shit was allowed to propagate in this thread was a ****ing mystery...thank god this came out.

My all time favourite is OR

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but isn't that just for a year or two? So a back-ended contract becomes a lot more valuable than a front loaded one. Just guessing here. Interested to hear other views
So if we need to front end a contract to Saad other players (like Cripps and McKay) would be happy to re-negotiate and back end theirs.

Is there any indication that Wines would be happy to go to Melbourne?

Apparently he doesn't get a say because we want Oliver. He will go where he is told.

This is my thinking - if you make an offer in the PSD, you must pay that dollar figure. So $1M is $1M, but is effectively like paying $1.43M if you think about the overall cap pre-covid scale-back (eg. $1M divided by 70% = $1.43M). And then on the other hand, if you back end a player like Cripps, his smaller salary in earlier years is scaled back but he gets the full whack in later years (not a bad deal for Crippa) but then our cap blows out. I'm just thinking the COVID scale back makes it harder for clubs to shift salaries back and forward as the scale back will only be for a year or two and maybe this is why OR is saying the cap will be an issue with Saad in the PSD. I'm just guessing. What do you think BB?

I'm fairly sure the way the pay cut works is that it is a percentage value taken off every player's contract.

So if Martin is on $1mil for the first year, and Cam Polson is on $100k, then Martin stands to lose $300k while Polson on loses $30k.

So if we sign Saad via the PSD on a front loaded contract, that doesn't make him exempt from an industry-wide pay cut. If anything, it makes him more vulnerable to it.

Kim Hagdorn on Perth radio this morning was talking about Patrick Cripps and that Fremantle are right into him at the moment. He said Carlton expect him to play out 2021 at Carlton but apparently the talk is Cripps has told both WA clubs he wants to finish his career in Perth.

Coming from Kim Hagdorn means Cripps is about to sign a 10year deal at Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet the Bombers, in this scenario are getting a second AND Kennedy?
Yeah, I kind of glossed over that bit. Think I had in my head that Saad was somehow involved despite his name not being mentioned.
You'd think one of those would have to go Port's way to even it out a bit.

Good mates with Viney, just can’t see Port letting him go anywhere after the season they have had.
Say they were able to get Fantasia and a first rounder somehow... you'd think its possible. Their midfield makeup is quite one-dimensional still (not Melbourne level, mind you) and have SPP playing forward, who they drafted as that big bull.

Wines, 3rd >>>
<<< Fantasia, 1st
SPP >>> midfield

Could work (I say as a complete neutral).

So:

7, 27, 45, future first, Stocker
for
Oliver, Saad, 59

Think we get bent over there.

Would rather do 7, 27 and future first for Oliver and 23, then 23 and Kennedy or JSOS for Saad.

Or 7 and 27 for 13, 18 and 34. Then 13 and future first for Oliver and 18 for Saad.
I wouldn't care about losing that trade if we got Oliver, Saad and Williams through the door in one off-season.
Personally not keen on losing Stocker, but can't see him fitting in anywhere either.

Oliver has informed Carlton he wants to play for the Blues next season.

Will only be able to proceed if Saad does not go into the PSD due to salary cap constraints.

BANG!

It’s not the whole trade- you are spared- draft picks and a 5th club are involved in negotiations.
Love the insights, mate. But there's just no way on God's green earth that a 4 or 5 club deal gets done, with * involved no less.

Perhaps its as a series of deals, domino-style... but not at once.

Has that even ever been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back