Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

I feel like our forward line was in a holding pattern in 2020 in terms of improvement.

Curnow not playing.
Martin new to the team.
Eddie new to the team.
No consistent/long term small forward solutions.
Pretty poor entries due to our workmanlike midfield.
Minimal team training making it hard to really improve.

On top of the above, McGovern has had an interrupted run since he got to Carlton which hasn’t helped.

His biggest problem is that in his poor games he’s non-existent. Teague should have thrown him around earlier in the season to get his hands on it. They finally threw him back for a half against Brisbane, which was bizarre considering he actually looked decent in the second half against Adelaide.

I firmly believe he can still be a really good player for us. A big 2021 looms.

Yeah i'd be happy to see how our forward line goes next year with Curnow back and hopefully a fit and improved McGovern before making any big acquisitions.

To add to your list Fisher is new to the role and looked promising, while we played Newnes there more as the season went on and he's shown to be a goal kicker. With Martin/Cunners/Gibbons, give them all a pre-season to gel together PLUS our midfield/ball movement should be better next year with Williams & Saad so our forwards should get better opportunities and more of them than in 2020.

To me, someone like De Goey is most dangerous as an actual I50 target you kick to...in the games he's torn apart Collingwood often start him deep and kick to him long 1v1 or he leads up like a full forward. He can kick goals at ground level too but he's their most dangerous target.

We on the other hand, should be prioritising our I50 targets to McKay/Curnow/McGovern since their marking is their clear strength. These guys don't kick as many goals at ground level so if we're directing our entries to De Goey it lowers the impact of these 3 key marking targets.

Happy to see how things shape up in 2021, identify our need at the end of the year (probably a crumbing forward to replace Eddie) and secure them next trade period.

Yeah i'd be happy to see how our forward line goes next year with Curnow back and hopefully a fit and improved McGovern before making any big acquisitions.

To add to your list Fisher is new to the role and looked promising, while we played Newnes there more as the season went on and he's shown to be a goal kicker. With Martin/Cunners/Gibbons, give them all a pre-season to gel together PLUS our midfield/ball movement should be better next year with Williams & Saad so our forwards should get better opportunities and more of them than in 2020.

To me, someone like De Goey is most dangerous as an actual I50 target you kick to...in the games he's torn apart Collingwood often start him deep and kick to him long 1v1 or he leads up like a full forward. He can kick goals at ground level too but he's their most dangerous target.

We on the other hand, should be prioritising our I50 targets to McKay/Curnow/McGovern since their marking is their clear strength. These guys don't kick as many goals at ground level so if we're directing our entries to De Goey it lowers the impact of these 3 key marking targets.

Happy to see how things shape up in 2021, identify our need at the end of the year (probably a crumbing forward to replace Eddie) and secure them next trade period.
One thing about JDG is when you have Harry, Curnow, TDK/Cas, Cunners, Fish floating around in your forward line then JDG the opposition defence can't cover them all, we'd be a bloody hard forward line to contain if our mids could get their act together. But we'd also have to ensure JDG is a culturally good fit for the group after all the work been done in the last 5 years culturally.

Martin Harry McGovern
Fisher Charlie Cuningham

IC: Newnes

is a pretty decent setup. Charlie is every bit as capable as DeGooooeeey in winning one on ones in the goal square and even better as a running mark.

both Fisher and Cuningham are also capable of rotating in midfield depending on match day requirements.

I agree with the sentiment that the Degooo noise is signaling to other targets more than anything else - we need another A grade mid if possible and let the skinny runts 'develop' in VFL.

:think: I wonder if Kemp is good enough to make a Walsh /Cripps type impact in his debut year? That would tick a few boxes for us- Stocker coming on would as well.

Martin Harry McGovern
Fisher Charlie Cuningham

That's probably the best we can expect for next year, unless Betts does a Benjamin Button.

I still don't like Fisher and Cuningham forward.
I like both the players but just don't see them as forwards, long term.

I guess no team has every position down pat, but I'd love to see some more small fire-power involved, but just don't know where we may get that from.

That's probably the best we can expect for next year, unless Betts does a Benjamin Button.

I guess no team has every position down pat, but I'd love to see some more small fire-power involved, but just don't know where we may get that from.
Cuningham's natural position is clearly a HFF for me...

One thing about JDG is when you have Harry, Curnow, TDK/Cas, Cunners, Fish floating around in your forward line then JDG the opposition defence can't cover them all, we'd be a bloody hard forward line to contain if our mids could get their act together. But we'd also have to ensure JDG is a culturally good fit for the group after all the work been done in the last 5 years culturally.
JDG just trots around pointing instructions when he's more than 2 metres away from the action.

Interesting people on here piss and moan non-stop about McGovern for his inconsistent performances and his big pay packet but want to hand a big pay packet to the undeniably inconsistent Jordan DeGoey.

Does anyone else see the contradiction?

We don't need another forward - with Charlie back there is arguably more talent in our forward line than any other in the comp. We need guys who are better at kicking to the forwards that we've already got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m still waiting for merett to nominate us

Now is the opportunity for him with more senior players opting to leave * and Adam Saad already having nominated Carlton. This years and next years 1st for Saad and Merrett seems so easy to accomplish and a great fit.

Yeah I agree but neither is a particularly good mark so can't see them playing a wing roles - can see them rotating on ball occasionally - but we have Martin to do that and Walsh is wasted on a wing ....

At least Teague thinks that Fisher and Cuningham are AFL players - that is the positive. I don't really take 'positions' in forward line too seriously though good teams will mix it up according to matchups etc during the game - pressuring 'small' forwards who are good for a goal a game each will be handy - I agree but lets bake the cake first. We are nearly there as far as finals quality starting 22 goes - hopefully we develop some genuine AFL quality depth with the balance.

I think we will see the side go back to a through the middle game if we get Saad to add to Wiliamson/Docherty run - we need to be able to play that way in order to be able to score freely - as we did in the Geelong/Port games. Will be fascinating to see how Williams goes as a mid...and as I said Kemp/Stocker - that's where we are right now....but maybe another mid is on the radar.

Feeling pretty confident about '21 and onwards tbh

Barbazza has just ruled out De Goey, Hunter and Merrett on his twitter

I don't think one needs a lot of imagination to know these players were not going to come about.

Merrett would have been great though, but Essendon supporters may have lost all hope, had he left the club.
Probably more of an executive decision rather than a footballing one.....if indeed a decision had to be made.

$750 offered for JDG, pies asked for Harry. Blues not interested.
$750+ offered and picks, pies want CHF, Cameron.
Dows name popping up from other clubs.
Wines still in play.
Saads team pissed at the bombers big time.
Asked about if JDG is playing the game. Response, he’s a gun but pies don’t want to play ball, not enough money in the bank, he will take less or he will leave... I think he takes less!

Like this forward set up a lot, X factor everywhere and would be an absolute mare for opposition clubs. I’m a big Cunners fan. Re Kemp, we need to temper in my opinion our expectations on him remembering he’s missed a truck load of footy and what Walsh did is something you see very rarely. Kemp is also a much bigger guy so naturally takes a bit longer to adjust, but that said I’m super excited by him and by all reports club are too. Also, judging by my expert stalking ability seems to get on very well with the boys, something that can’t be underrated. One thing that is unknown right now is his best position, can’t wait to watch him develop. If he plays 10 games next year I’d by stoked.

Martin Harry McGovern
Fisher Charlie Cuningham

IC: Newnes

is a pretty decent setup. Charlie is every bit as capable as DeGooooeeey in winning one on ones in the goal square and even better as a running mark.

both Fisher and Cuningham are also capable of rotating in midfield depending on match day requirements.

I agree with the sentiment that the Degooo noise is signaling to other targets more than anything else - we need another A grade mid if possible and let the skinny runts 'develop' in VFL.

:think: I wonder if Kemp is good enough to make a Walsh /Cripps type impact in his debut year? That would tick a few boxes for us- Stocker coming on would as well.

Interesting people on here piss and moan non-stop about McGovern for his inconsistent performances and his big pay packet but want to hand a big pay packet to the undeniably inconsistent Jordan DeGoey.

Does anyone else see the contradiction?

We don't need another forward - with Charlie back there is arguably more talent in our forward line than any other in the comp. We need guys who are better at kicking to the forwards that we've already got.

Agreed and it's clear the club agrees with you Teddy hence us going after Williams/Saad and another gun mid.

Was never much substance to the JDG rumours and they seem to be getting shut down now. Sure we might have had 'discussions' but doesn't sound like we went very far with it.

Charlie/McKay/McGovern/Casboult/Betts/Fisher/Newnes/Cunners/Gibbons - They won't all play forward at the same time but there's definitely something there to work with...a lot of talent and a mix of talls and smalls.

Next year look to bring in a good crumbing forward to replace Betts.

Barbazza has just ruled out De Goey, Hunter and Merrett on his twitter

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wasn't overly keen on JDG or Hunter and Merrett was always in the basically impossible basket.

Still leaves Oliver/Dunkley/Wines as potential options and maybe a mid we haven't even heard mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back