Bluemour Melting Pot XXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued here ...

So he's saying a GWS/GC/Pies/Tigers/Bombers player at around $500-650k. Also mentions 'bargains'.
The Melbourne player would appear to be Oliver. No mention of Bulldogs or Dunkley.

I can't think of too many players who I think are worth that amount of money that we'd want and are gettable from those clubs.
Just throwing one up from Gold Coast but could we be looking at Alex Sexton as a small forward? Inconsistent and selfish player but he can play and would command that kind of money.

And we can add Merrett next year as a RFA.

Very big dependency on where we finish for that to happen. Anything short of 6th and I don't like our chances of swaying him.

Also, going to be extremely difficult to outbid rival clubs esp with our cap room (I won't say 17 clubs will be after him because someone will take that literally and throw a tanty)

But damn, imagine winning a flag with Merrett and Saad in the team... the hangar will probably flood with their tears

Sam Edmund said some interesting things on SEN this morning:

-De Goey one month ago was leaning strongly towards Carlton but things may have changed slightly due to Williams and Saad nominating

-Carlton has cast a wide net this year with Williams Saad Oliver De Goey and others
So it sounds like the change is due to less money being available for him (even though we supposedly have a warchest available)?
With JDG's mid/forward rotations, surely Williams' move into the midfield isn't the reason for his mind changing now? Unless JDG wanted to play as a full time mid. Because there is definitely a spot for him to rotate between forward and midfield for us.

-De Goey one month ago was leaning strongly towards Carlton but things may have changed slightly due to Williams and Saad nominating

-Carlton has cast a wide net this year with Williams Saad Oliver De Goey and others
If that's true I'm even happier now that Saad and Williams committed so early.

* are into DeGoey now. Suits me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just throwing one up from Gold Coast but could we be looking at Alex Sexton as a small forward? Inconsistent and selfish player but he can play and would command that kind of money.

I'd love Sexton. Is from Queensland though and re-signed only last year...but you never know. I think he was dropped this year and so GC might be willing to trade and Sexton move since he's not feeling the love from his club. He's a good opportunistic small/medium forward.

Tigers - Could we go after Caddy? Been squeezed out of Richmond's best 22 and wouldn't cost much in a trade. $500k a bit of a stretch but maybe slightly lower than that would be OK. Can play that high half forward role.

Collingwood - Daicos. Though reports are he'll sign with Collingwood and they'd be nuts not to. With their salary cap issues could Collingwood be tempted to let one of Sidebottom or Treloar go?

Would be surprised to see us land another player from GWS/Essendon on top of Williams/Saad.

So it sounds like the change is due to less money being available for him?
With JDG's mid/forward rotations, sure Williams' move into the midfield isn't the reason for his mind changing now?
I assume money could be a factor or potentially our trade assets available (ie- draft picks may need to be allocated towards getting Saad across)

Players I'd be happy for us to be asking the question about:

GWS - Hill, Daniels
GC - Miller, Sexton
Collingwood - Phillips
Richmond - Higgins
Essendon - Zerk-Thatcher (contracted until 2021 and would be very much a required player but I rate him)

Was liking your list until him... definite no for me...

So it sounds like the change is due to less money being available for him (even though we supposedly have a warchest available)?
With JDG's mid/forward rotations, surely Williams' move into the midfield isn't the reason for his mind changing now? Unless JDG wanted to play as a full time mid. Because there is definitely a spot for him to rotate between forward and midfield for us.

Sounds like if anything our interest cooled since we got our higher priority targets.

Players I'd be happy for us to be asking the question about:

GWS - Hill, Daniels
GC - Miller, Sexton
Collingwood - Phillips
Richmond - Higgins
Essendon - Zerk-Thatcher (contracted until 2021 and would be very much a required player but I rate him)

Good list. Hill or Higgins from that group for me.

They're the two I'd be looking at, as that would then fill all our stated targets.
I doubt though that either would be on anything near the 500K mark. That's a good thing.

Teague needs to have the chat with McNuggets that he's not a starter round 1 on current form and with whom will be returning or introduced to the side. Let's see if the man has ticker and returns in good shape and shows us what he has during pre-season.
Yeah. Shape up or bugger off!

yep, I see JSOS as Ed's replacement.

-fitness and running ability
+skills and smarts

What I like about this is that JSOS would presumably start forward, and would only be moved into tagging duties should it be required.

Means we start with a more dangerous and attacking midfield mix, and only if the opposition's prime mover is getting on top of us do we send JSOS to them.

Better than having a dedicated tagger from the first bounce and thereby limiting our midfield capabilities by default.

* are into DeGoey now. Suits me.
Didn’t see that. Would fit in well with Stringer presumably and the Dons would be desperate to land anyone.

The whole De Goey situation is getting messy now. It actually sounds like he is disgruntled and I think Buckley’s comments along with the Pies‘ leaks to the media about him being money hungry would not go down well. He approached their two biggest rivals now so that in itself is a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back