Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’d have to agree with this. Both Buckley and Guy have come across as disingenuous and rather arrogant IMO

Guy almost didn't know what he was talking about last night. What a complete trainwreck that was.

Have a look at Buckley’s latest tweet from an hour ago, HBF. He’s absolutely copping it from the faithful

Copping it is an understatement.
Surely he, Ed and Guy cannot continue in their current roles.
Someone has to held accountable for this.

Guy almost didn't know what he was talking about last night. What a complete trainwreck that was.

Geoff Walsh was on MMM this morning.

Essentially peddled the same message, lying through his teeth that their main motivation was to get into the draft, saying shit like 'to get something you gotta give something' and alluding to their 'suite of picks this year and next year'...also repeated that their salary cap issues were overblown, which Guy said last night. Either they're straight up lying or delusional...both are bad.

Must be truly demoralising to be a Collingwood fan for not only what happened, but to be blatantly lied to by those in charge.

Geelong did release 3 first rounders but got back 2 * 2021 2nds
Whose seconds are they though? GWS's and Essendons? so maybe a ~#22 & ~#34

The intriguing pick swap was between Melbourne & Brisbane.
Melbourne get: #18 & #19 and a future second - approx pick ~#33
Melbourne lose: #25 and their 2021 1s rounder.

Reckon Brisbane are really smart with their List Management. Could be a worry for us going forward.

EDIT: Collingwood now unloading on Stephenson. What a terrible outcome either way.

Need to consider that Geelong got significant overs for Kelly, which help fund Cameron. A club should always look to get the best deal possible, but sometimes the bigger picture is more important. At its core, Kelly for Cameron a year apart is solid.

Think Brisbane have nailed that pick swap too. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees miss the 8 again.

2020 - 18 and 19 for 25
2021 - ~33 for ~8

Slightly more points to Melbourne (to the tune of a mid fourth rounder), but the context of the picks tells a different story. Brisbane moved down a little in a compromised draft that is hard to assess, and moved up a long way in a future draft which should offer a bit more certainty around player quality.

Essentially peddled the same message, lying through his teeth that their main motivation was to get into the draft, saying sh*t like 'to get something you gotta give something' and alluding to their 'suite of picks this year and next year'...also repeated that their salary cap issues were overblown, which Guy said last night. Either they're straight up lying or delusional...both are bad.

Must be truly demoralising to be a Collingwood fan for not only what happened, but to be blatantly lied to by those in charge.

I think what he meant to say was that their salary cap was overblown...

Essentially peddled the same message, lying through his teeth that their main motivation was to get into the draft, saying sh*t like 'to get something you gotta give something' and alluding to their 'suite of picks this year and next year'...also repeated that their salary cap issues were overblown, which Guy said last night. Either they're straight up lying or delusional...both are bad.

This might be as crippling to their culture as what the pre-season camp did to Adelaide. Their players will be furious and no players will want to come to them for a long time.

He showed that he can play pretty well up forward actually for a while at Collingwood!

was about to post that... can clearly play forward and likely will spend significant amounts of time there over the next 4-5 seasons.

Has the potential to be an excellent conduit between mid and fwd, while we think of Treloar as a bit of a butcher these days; his disposal by foot really impressed early on. A little more outside, a little more half forward extends his influence.

Good bloke, good player, good influence and at the cost incurred - a damn good pick-up.

I look forward to beating the bulldogs in finals in coming years.

6, 7, 8 and Caldwell is perfect start to rebuilds. If sos in 2015 we would be on the moon.

Pankaj

Most years, I'd agree.

This year, it's a tough call.

Reckon we may see a pick swap between Essendon and North before draft night. Something like 7 + 8 for 2 + 39.

North need to bring in as much top end talent as they can given how many players they've cut. Essendon need a key forward and would love to get to Pick 2 so they can revenge-bid on Ugle-Hagan before taking McDonald. Still leaves them with their Pick 6 (becomes 7) for a mid.

Daniher and Saad for McDonald and a late second, in essence.

Need to consider that Geelong got significant overs for Kelly, which help fund Cameron. A club should always look to get the best deal possible, but sometimes the bigger picture is more important. At its core, Kelly for Cameron a year apart is solid.

Think Brisbane have nailed that pick swap too. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees miss the 8 again.

2020 - 18 and 19 for 25
2021 - ~33 for ~8

Slightly more points to Melbourne (to the tune of a mid fourth rounder), but the context of the picks tells a different story. Brisbane moved down a little in a compromised draft that is hard to assess, and moved up a long way in a future draft which should offer a bit more certainty around player quality.

It certainly prices the pick swap we were all demanding and taking for granted

I love these so called experts, more like carlton haters. We add two a graders and a promising kid who’s only 21 and they label our period a B. Just have to laugh

Clear to me our trades were as good as any. If not better.

No one else added two border line elite players - at the peak of their careers - and a young kid who certainly has the full suite of skills - and seemingly, the right attitude.

Didn't someone say Saad had career best numbers in a season with shortened quarters? Put the bloke in our back half - with the steady heads around him and watch him get even better. Will also take some heat off Doc....

Williams will ply mid more than back. Anyone who doubts his ability in that role only need watch a game against the Swans late in 2019and then the PF where they pipped the Pies same year. Slippery sucker too. With ticker.

Easy A for me.

Last edited:
Most years, I'd agree.

This year, it's a tough call.

Reckon we may see a pick swap between Essendon and North before draft night. Something like 7 + 8 for 2 + 39.

North need to bring in as much top end talent as they can given how many players they've cut. Essendon need a key forward and would love to get to Pick 2 so they can revenge-bid on Ugle-Hagan before taking McDonald. Still leaves them with their Pick 6 (becomes 7) for a mid.

Daniher and Saad for McDonald and a late second, in essence.

agreed, the difference between this year and 2015 draft are clear.

Oliver wants out. Carlton flying him in a jet to Kangaroo Island for talks.
I'd be surprised by this, given the rumours in the past have suggest he already wants to come here. I don't know why we'd still be schmoozing him, satisfying Melbourne would be the harder part and what we should be working on now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It certainly prices the pick swap we were all demanding and taking for granted

Yep - there was a general assumption that every club with multiple later picks would want to move up the order.

The Geelong/GWS deal gets Geelong a better result than if they'd done a swap with us and then on-traded again with GWS - they'd have paid the piper twice. And Brisbane saw a more creative line to get them a better outcome too.

Reckon Pick 8 was just in an awkward spot this year, and it's market value was diminished.

Next years draft is the one according to ‘experts’ runs very deep, based on that I think Geelong have done really well with the Cameron trade

Last edited:
Yep - there was a general assumption that every club with multiple later picks would want to move up the order.
The Geelong/GWS deal gets Geelong a better result than if they'd done a swap with us and then on-traded again with GWS - they'd have paid the piper twice. And Brisbane saw a more creative line to get them a better outcome too.
Reckon Pick 8 was just in an awkward spot this year, and it's market value was diminished.

I think this has been demonstrated by many teams, given the opting of next years picks over this years' ones, more than before.
Melbourne being the principle exception here.

Are people still as disappointed today as you/we were a couple of days ago? I doubt it.
I still give us a 'B+' an it would have been an 'A' if Williams got 5 years instead of the 6.

Remember that we still have the draft and DFA periods.
I doubt we'll venture into the DFA space, but we could still do something 'special' in the draft, given we'll be very specific in regards to needs.

We go after Merrett next year

Why not have a crack at the Bont?

Will be interesting to see how the Doggies fare in 2021 - they got Treloar (who may well be unsettled/unhappy given the Pies' schmozzle), Dunkley is clearly far from happy and there's obviously a few dills in the group (Hunter, Smith maybe Libba jnr. still).

I reckon they might not produce what some expect.

C'mon then - put your mouth where your mouth is.

Philp, Kemp, Honey, Ramsay, Stocker - all largely untested.

The Tigers would have taken Philp if we hadn't. kemp was a potential #1 pre ACL.

Dow and O'Brien - I guess we've these two off covered off during trade period.

Setters - would get a game in most 22s.

SPS and Cuners - both arguable played out of position, both inconsistent (Cuners more so). SPS would get a game in most 22s. Maybe not all.

Cuners needs to extract a digit or three.

TDK - the best emerging ruck in the AFL arguably.

Weiters - should have been AA ahead of Moore.

Walsh - no need for comment.

Willo - still a maybe, promising signs he's over his back issues....touch wood.

Fish - good player, maybe better than 'good'.
Harry, JSOS and...Charlie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back