Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

not

not in this draft.
Most years, I'd agree.

This year, it's a tough call.

Reckon we may see a pick swap between Essendon and North before draft night. Something like 7 + 8 for 2 + 39.

North need to bring in as much top end talent as they can given how many players they've cut. Essendon need a key forward and would love to get to Pick 2 so they can revenge-bid on Ugle-Hagan before taking McDonald. Still leaves them with their Pick 6 (becomes 7) for a mid.

Daniher and Saad for McDonald and a late second, in essence.
This is overstate.. they have been watching kids since they 10.. other states play this year too.. next year super draft but no good player this year because didn’t get to see, doesn’t make sense.

Next years draft is the one according to ‘experts’ runs very deep, based on that I think Geelong have done really well with the Cameron trade

How funny is Essendon? They go to the trouble of convincing a gun inside mid (which they have desperately needed for 5 years) with two years to go on his contract to come to them, they have 3 first rounders and a future first at their disposal. And they hold out to try and win the trade. Laughable.

Nobody said they were smart.
They got lucky with the Daniher compo thanks to the bias generosity of the AFL and still held out on a desperate need for them.
No doubt they’ll pick up some exciting young players but there goes 3 years before reaping any rewards....illogical thinking really

* have simply gotten worse.
The prime reason for their previous successes, however limited, was their drive from half-back. Now Saad and McKenna are gone.
They've lost their 2 best, albeit injury prone, forwards. And while they were lucky received overs for them, they received a hell of a lot less than they could have gotten last year. That's not a win.
They haven't addressed their needs of big bodied mids or KPP.

Sure, they've added 7 and 8 in a crap-shoot draft, but they're out of the 2nd round next year. And they are going backwards.

Yeah, I agree with your assessment of them overall, I just thought that their actual trade period assessment was a bit harsh because they did okay with the hand they had been dealt (or rather, have dealt themselves over the course of the last few years.)

But whole-of-club, they are on the slide, and I couldn't be happier :)

Because the live Trade Tracker was updated so late in the piece!

How long d you think it takes to type a few words and press enter?
The trade tracker is only updated after the paperwork is fully lodged and approved. It was the same the whole period. Depending on the deal (ie small & simple versus the bigger ones) it seemed to take maybe 15-30mins from when TR announced the paperwork lodged to it appearing on the tracker.

It's the same as the old 'foot in the door' rule, except with an email and some added time because instead of just handling the next group of LMs standing in the room, they've got to set up another Teams/Zoom/etc meeting with the involved parties, get Ken Wood in there to check it and sign off, etc.

This is overstate.. they have been watching kids since they 10.. other states play this year too.. next year super draft but no good player this year because didn’t get to see, doesn’t make sense.

Never said there are no good players this year, not sure how you reached that conclusion.

There will be very good players in this draft, no doubt, but it is going to be harder to identify them given many didn't play any meaningful footy.

To illustrate - consider 2018. Based on an early draftee ranking from Knightmare, if there was no footy played in 2018 we could have seen:

- Collier-Dawkins go 6th instead of 20th
- Bobby Hill 7th instead of 24th
- Curtis Taylor 11th instead of 46th
- Jack Bytel 14th instead of 41st
- Tom Joyce 17th instead of 40th
- Bailey Scott 20th instead of 49th

Knightmare's not the pinnacle of junior assessment, but he watches a lot more than most of us. The field changes a LOT over the course of these kids' U/18 year. Players perform and rise, or struggle and slide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon have 3 selections in a row, which enables them to add balance of needs

Dodo will pick a short & skinny flanker, a tall and skinny flanker and perhaps a medium & skinny flanker for balance...

;)

Dodo will pick a short & skinny flanker, a tall and skinny flanker and perhaps a medium & skinny flanker for balance...

;)

And as we all know, * is the home of flankers....

How's this attempted spin from Ned Guy...oh boy they don't think much of their fanbase do they?

"On behalf of Collingwood I would like to thank Adam for his service. He was a committed and strong performer for us and we wish him well.

For some time we have held the view that this year’s draft represents an excellent opportunity to address some of our needs. We think in the short term we can improve from within but we can also now strengthen the profile of our list for the medium and longer term. This deal improves significantly our ability to do that.

With the draft assets we now have, we also have the ability over the next couple of weeks to explore ways of improving our draft position further."

Yeah...you traded all these players for huge unders because you really wanted to get into this heavily compromised draft...

I don't think much of their fan base either....

;)

* have simply gotten worse.
The prime reason for their previous successes, however limited, was their drive from half-back. Now Saad and McKenna are gone.
They've lost their 2 best, albeit injury prone, forwards. And while they were lucky received overs for them, they received a hell of a lot less than they could have gotten last year. That's not a win.
They haven't addressed their needs of big bodied mids or KPP.

Sure, they've added 7 and 8 in a crap-shoot draft, but they're out of the 2nd round next year. And they are going backwards.

Going backwards, How is this not a win ?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenor.gif

🤡🤡🤡

I'm a little bit confused about how we finished 12th, traded in Saad and Fogarty only, and have the 17th best hand at the draft.

Sure, other teams lost players so got currency back. Everyone but us seemed to get some bargains.

Given Cameron cost basically three first rounders and Dunkley was valued at two first rounders how do people now feel about Pick 8 for Saad plus change ?

I am not overly impressed but I am more annoyed there was talk over 12 months ago that Caldwell would have wanted to come to us. We change our list management thanks to Liddle and now he ends up nominating and going to Essendon after his contract at GWS is up. Dodoro ****ed up paying overs for Dylan Shiel 12 months ago but almost corrected it by getting Caldwell that long term I rate higher. How we ****ed up losing the previous work to be ready to have Caldwell come here is something that really bothers me. Also concerned a bit of how much we paying Zac Wiliams. He is a good player but if he is top 2 or 3 in pay packet I will be a close watch how this plays out down the years. I hope he does not cost us keeping our own drafted players in a few years time when they reach their early to mid 20's. Collingwood is a good example of how over paying a few payers can really bite you on the ass down the track if you do not have right list managers in place.

I got a serious watch on how my club operates in this space in next twelve months.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back