Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin seems to have a bit of Wells about him in that he’s willing to pay a little more to deliver the target, rather than be hardline on a deal like Dodoro and SOS.

Targeted players might be more confident with Austin in charge of trading.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

A couple of points. I still think we need a huge thank you to SOS to gives us this balanced list that enabled us to be able to give up a pick 8 for a targeted player.

The game changes and what is flavour of the month in terms of game styles also changes quickly but I feel we basically have all the areas covered if the games shifts again.

- Big Forwards - even without Charlie I think we look strong in this area with McKay, McGovern and Casboult for another year or two (maybe DeKonning as well, Kemp ??).

- Midfield - strong and adaptable group. Maybe some more rotations needed ? Fogarty to assist here. Kemp as well ??

- Defence - I think very good and potentially as good as any group in the league.

Speed and x-factor - The addition of Saad and Williams top us off here and maybe will enable players like O'Brien and Dow a bit more room to move.

Kicking skills - Not sure on this area. Always think back to Clarkos mantra of 'get me players who can kick !'.

tenor.gif

🤡🤡🤡

And the best part is. Ed won't go quietly. And whilst Ed is there, so is Bucks.
So GOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. That's not going to please everyone, but if each target makes for significant improvement to our squad, no-one will be complaining.
We know what we're going to get from Saad and Williams and they both make us immediately better.

On the other hand Essendon got Caldwell and paid good money to get a somewhat unproven player.
He may become a wonderful player in time, but is he what Essendon needed? I don't see it. They wanted that big-bodied mid and got a ~180cm player to tack onto other ~180cm mids, in: Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Smith, Parish and Ham. In fact at 183cm Caldwell is now their tallest starting midfielder.
Height isn't everything but The Dons didn't get what they really needed most.

As you say....we got our premium targets....and Essendon just let their premium target down.
Heppell is 190cm I believe.

Yes. That's not going to please everyone, but if each target makes for significant improvement to our squad, no-one will be complaining.
We know what we're going to get from Saad and Williams and they both make us immediately better.

On the other hand Essendon got Caldwell and paid good money to get a somewhat unproven player.
He may become a wonderful player in time, but is he what Essendon needed? I don't see it. They wanted that big-bodied mid and got a ~180cm player to tack onto other ~180cm mids, in: Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Smith, Parish and Ham. In fact at 183cm Caldwell is now their tallest starting midfielder.
Height isn't everything but The Dons didn't get what they really needed most.

As you say....we got our premium targets....and Essendon just let their premium target down.

Nothing wrong about injecting an unproven talent into your club.

Heppell is 190cm I believe.

Doesn't play a lot of midfield anymore though and Clarke can't get a game.
This year he only got three games and not one centre clearance -

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 1.51.03 pm.png

Here are this years centre clearances for Essendon.
As is often the case, there are four that are principally employed and then it's all dribs and drabs for the others.

Just from that it tells me hat McGrath is going back to the backline, with Caldwell involved.

Nothing wrong about injecting an unproven talent into your club.

.....but something is wrong when the club is injecting you....although that never happened, did it? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C'mon then - put your mouth where your mouth is.

Philp, Kemp, Honey, Ramsay, Stocker - all largely untested.

The Tigers would have taken Philp if we hadn't. kemp was a potential #1 pre ACL.

Dow and O'Brien - I guess we've these two off covered off during trade period.

Setters - would get a game in most 22s.

SPS and Cuners - both arguable played out of position, both inconsistent (Cuners more so). SPS would get a game in most 22s. Maybe not all.

Cuners needs to extract a digit or three.

TDK - the best emerging ruck in the AFL arguably.

Weiters - should have been AA ahead of Moore.

Walsh - no need for comment.

Willo - still a maybe, promising signs he's over his back issues....touch wood.

Fish - good player, maybe better than 'good'.
How much have we seen from Stocker, Philp, Cottrell Kemp, Honey, Ramsay etc to suggest that we're set for the younger age range?
Personally, I wouldn't consider a soon to be 23yo Weitering to be either a kid or a developing prospect.
With that in mind, I understand where Montagna is coming from as outside of Walsh, our strongest representation of younger footballers are in the 22-23 age bracket where they are expected to now be playing some reasonably consistent footy.

How much have we seen from Stocker, Philp, Cottrell Kemp, Honey, Ramsay etc to suggest that we're set for the younger age range?
Personally, I wouldn't consider a soon to be 23yo Weitering to be either a kid or a developing prospect.
With that in mind, I understand where Montagna is coming from as outside of Walsh, our strongest representation of younger footballers are in the 22-23 age bracket where they are expected to now be playing some reasonably consistent footy.

Not a conspiracy but a good chunk of the media seem to fall into the trap of citing ones clubs 'kids' to be good and another's not so good....even though they haven't seen them. This has been happening for a while now.
Have you heard they talk about the Richmond 'kids' - Coleman-Jones, Dow, Collier-Dawkins? 3 games between them yet the talk is so glowing.

It's the same thing when a name gets brought up over and again and is somehow exalted to legend status before even stringing any games together.

It's just one of those things and when we start winning, our reserves players will magically become 50% better, according to the same reporters. :)

Noticed the Whisper in todays H/S "Could a high-profile list manager be on the move to his third club following the conclusion of trade week"

Probably doesn't take too much to work out who they are referring to.

Imagine Silvagni, Eddie and Buckley all butting heads

A couple of points. I still think we need a huge thank you to SOS to gives us this balanced list that enabled us to be able to give up a pick 8 for a targeted player.

The game changes and what is flavour of the month in terms of game styles also changes quickly but I feel we basically have all the areas covered if the games shifts again.

- Big Forwards - even without Charlie I think we look strong in this area with McKay, McGovern and Casboult for another year or two (maybe DeKonning as well, Kemp ??).

- Midfield - strong and adaptable group. Maybe some more rotations needed ? Fogarty to assist here. Kemp as well ??

- Defence - I think very good and potentially as good as any group in the league.

Speed and x-factor - The addition of Saad and Williams top us off here and maybe will enable players like O'Brien and Dow a bit more room to move.

Kicking skills - Not sure on this area. Always think back to Clarkos mantra of 'get me players who can kick !'.
Literally no one:

Carlton board on Bigfooty: you've got to give a huge thank you to SOS...

The reality is SOS and Dodoro have earned reputations for their hardnosed approaches to negotiations which has seen them miss on some targets - hence the comparison, whereas Austin has been labelled soft or weak for accepting less back than what the armchair experts determined was warranted given our outlay for Saad.
Wells has long been considered to be reasonably generous in his dealings and is considered to have the approach of getting the right players into his club rather than worrying about winning deals at the negotiating table.
I wouldn't mind if Austin shared a similar approach if it leads our club to further success for which both SOS & Austin would deservingly receive their praises.

Last edited:
Literally no one:

The reality is SOS and Dodoro have earned reputations for their hardnosed approaches to negotiations which has seen them miss on some targets - hence the comparison, whereas Austin has been labelled soft or weak for accepting less back than what the armchair experts determined was warranted given our outlay for Saad.
Wells has long been considered to be reasonably generous in his dealings and is considered to have the approach of getting the right players into his club than worrying about winning deals at the negotiating table.
I wouldn't mind if Austin shared a similar approach if it leads our club to further success for which both SOS & Austin would deservingly receive their praises.
absolutely it is the right approach now as we are entering the top us phase. i think Austin did the saad deal correctly overpaying now just incase we have a crack at merett next year. Goodwill never hurts. SOS lucked out in the 2015 draft. His drafting was average trading was excellent

Literally no one:

Wells has long been considered to be reasonably generous in his dealings and is considered to have the approach of getting the right players into his club than worrying about winning deals at the negotiating table.

SOS had a hardnosed approach? When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back