Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a conspiracy but a good chunk of the media seem to fall into the trap of citing ones clubs 'kids' to be good and another's not so good....even though they haven't seen them. This has been happening for a while now.
Have you heard they talk about the Richmond 'kids' - Coleman-Jones, Dow, Collier-Dawkins? 3 games between them yet the talk is so glowing.

It's the same thing when a name gets brought up over and again and is somehow exalted to legend status before even stringing any games together.

It's just one of those things and when we start winning, our reserves players will magically become 50% better, according to the same reporters. :)
Sure but I'm not sure Montagna's analysis reflects that though.
Richmond are genuine contenders at present and by extension don't require their recent draftees to be first choice selections in their side, whereas we're a helluva lot more reliant on a Dow, Stocker etc making it in order for our club to go from also-rans to contenders.
Context is king and I believe that at times in their rush to feel outraged or slighted that people almost willfully miss the point.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t think so but if they offer him a million a year we are going to have to pay him the absolute max amount that he is worth

Easiest way to get around that is to sign him up as soon as possible.

Should be done reasonably soon with trade week over, and Saad's contract locked in for the amount we'd offered initially.

Not for long
Sure hope not but my worry is that teams like Essendon would be mad to not offer him silly overs which means even if he stays for unders we will be paying him huge bucks. North likewise will go really hard and if Collingwood get Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson, Pendles, Cox, Mayne off their list they could also target him to fill their biggest hole. He would have to be one of the most sort after OOC players for next year.
The quicker the better.

Sure hope not but my worry is that teams like Essendon would be mad to not offer him silly overs which means even if he stays for unders we will be paying him huge bucks. North likewise will go really hard and if Collingwood get Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson, Pendles, Cox, Mayne off their list they could also target him to fill their biggest hole. He would have to be one of the most sort after OOC players for next year.
The quicker the better.

Of course clubs would be enquiring, but none of those you mentioned will feature in finals and or could start a decline

I suspect it will be done in the next couple of weeks

Heppell is 190cm I believe.

Forget that. Tell me about that TV and audio 6 pin socket from Bunnings that you originally linked to in the Bluemour File. ;)

Delisted today. Rookie spot?

Classy player....injuries though.
Attitude issues as well from what I can gather, another Troy Menzel I would say in terms of work rate and attitude so a hard no thanks.

Of course clubs would be enquiring, but none of those you mentioned will feature in finals and or could start a decline

I suspect it will be done in the next couple of weeks
It still puts a price on his head and the problem is he probably deserves say $500k and if he gets offered closer to $1mil somewhere else then we are in a crap position in the short term where he is going to get paid purely on potential.
I expect him to commit for two more years, taking him to FA age.

Given Cameron cost basically three first rounders and Dunkley was valued at two first rounders how do people now feel about Pick 8 for Saad plus change ?
The same as before. If we were going to accept a dud pick back, and given that list sizes are being squeezed, I don't know why we didn't just walk him to the National Draft and use our pick 8 to take him.

We still get him, the currency is very similar, but we don't add to the 'stains already strong draft hand. Oh, and we get a bonus "F**k You!!" to Dodo in the process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the biggest wins of Trade Period for me is that JSOS is still at the club.
I felt sick thinking of him running around in another jumper (especially an * one).

It would've been Collingwood supporter level of melts if that happened.

This was the perfect year to bring in a readymade player and ignore the draft, and Essendon failed on that front.

If Dunkley was 27 I'd agree the Bombers did the right thing in not sacrificing multiple firsts, but he's 23! He'd have been a presence at the stoppages for the next decade.

Now the Bombers are likely the languish down the bottom for a few years, and Merrett wont want to stick around. I think we'd be silently very happy Essendon didn't stump of the picks, as they aren't going to be anymore competitive next year having lost 2 of their 3 best players.

I suspect we will be in very close contact with Merrett's manager next year, but most importantly we have to make the finals to show some concrete progression to sell to any other OOC players.
You write like this is a bad thing

It still puts a price on his head and the problem is he probably deserves say $500k and if he gets offered closer to $1mil somewhere else then we are in a crap position in the short term where he is going to get paid purely on potential.
I expect him to commit for two more years, taking him to FA age.

I must be missing something

I am sure the club will secure him on a decent contract without paying overs because of what clubs like North are offering

A talented player, in a club about to play finals, he and his manager would be well aware of what that means

Ned Guy statement on BigFooty's crash last night:

"This was a really successful website maintenance exercise. We definitely didn't have any server capacity issues. We've just been thinking for a while that we wanted to restart the system. Not because there was a problem, but because the website is going so well, Chief was making too much money and was going to go into a higher tax bracket. And we thought the best time to continue to strengthen the site was 1 hour after trade period ended. And that's what we've done"

However, Guy's comments were contrasted by one of the affected posters HBF. "At no time did I have any indication that the server was being cut off. I first heard about it through the media. I had no contact from anyone at BF. I called up Chief and he said Yeah, we're looking to restart the servers. It's probably best if you look at posting on some other sites. I feel really let down by everyone at BF. It's been a tough year; only 17 rounds of footy, I haven't been able to attend games with my very very very good friend. And now this? Sure, I've got some things I need to work on; both in my posting and IRL. But I just feel let down by the way this was handled".

He-said/he-said stuff here.

Collingwood seem to be implying that when they broached his wife's move to QLD, Treloar intimated he may look at what options were around. Maybe he did, but maybe they saw an opportunity and then tried to force his hand.
That's my take as well, I think Collingwood tried to be opportunistic and it has back-fired on them in a big way.

Treloar's fiance announces she's going to QLD, they think "hey, surely Treloar will want to go too, let's get him up to GC - or at worst Bris - get a decent pick and get his huge f*****g salary off our books". They approach Treloar, he says "no, I'm staying in Melbourne, thanks anyway". But now, they've already been planning all the wonderful moves they can make with picks and freed cap space, so they try to cajole him. That fails too, but the effort to do so has painted them into a corner and left them nowhere to go. Assuming he would go, they've already recommitted to other players and can't afford him any more.

Just amteurish on sooooo many levels, but the "blaming the fiance" line is a media line, not a Collingwood one.

Ned Guy statement on BigFooty's crash last night:

"This was a really successful website maintenance exercise. We definitely didn't have any server capacity issues. We've just been thinking for a while that we wanted to restart the system. Not because there was a problem, but because the website is going so well, Chief was making too much money and was going to go into a higher tax bracket. And we thought the best time to continue to strengthen the site was 1 hour after trade period ended. And that's what we've done"

However, Guy's comments were contrasted by one of the affected posters HBF. "At no time did I have any indication that the server was being cut off. I first heard about it through the media. I had no contact from anyone at BF. I called up Chief and he said Yeah, we're looking to restart the servers. It's probably best if you look at posting on some other sites. I feel really let down by everyone at BF. It's been a tough year; only 17 rounds of footy, I haven't been able to attend games with my very very very good friend. And now this? Sure, I've got some things I need to work on; both in my posting and IRL. But I just feel let down by the way this was handled".

Love it.

Tell me, was it later leaked that blame was apportioned to the motherboard of the primary server?

One of the biggest wins of Trade Period for me is that JSOS is still at the club.
I felt sick thinking of him running around in another jumper (especially an * one).

It would've been Collingwood supporter level of melts if that happened.

Quite surprising sos didn't talk much about us last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back