Bluemour Melting Pot XXVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I actually believe SOS pursued mutually beneficial negotiations; unless it was adelaide showing up with gibbs unannounced at marvel stadium at the beginning of trade week. Beside that I think he was fair with his valuations and dealings.
He came in, scrapped our existing list for parts & slashed salaries - you don't do that unless you're thick-skinned.
At the trade table he was certainly creative but he also carried a certain reputation for staring down opposing list managers, which is why some were pining for SOS' return once the Saad deal had gone through.
I doubt for a second that when discussing a deal that SOS at any point was saying anything to the effect of "c'mon mate, this deal is great for both of us" & some of his commentary on TR validates my perspective.
It's all part of the caper but pretending that it was ever about achieving an equitable outcome is the stuff of fantasy.
Austin appears to have a different approach and frankly, there are a number of ways to get the job done, I couldn't care less about the cult of personality or the identity of the person performing the role, I just want the job done well.

Last edited:

Omg...Treloar confirming Buckley DID say to him that other senior Collingwood players don't want him around...and is saying that they were up for a fight to push him out. They weren't just pushing him out the door, they were putting up barricades once he had a foot out.

So that response from Buckley to Edmund who broke the story was a lie. Edmund said he was sticking with his story and he was right. Collingwood full of lies and spin right now.
Treloar’s camp was obviously the ones that told Sam Edmund, which may have been Treloar’s interpretation of the conversation. Buckley may have had a different interpretation of what he told Treloar

Ned Guy statement on BigFooty's crash last night:

"This was a really successful website maintenance exercise. We definitely didn't have any server capacity issues. We've just been thinking for a while that we wanted to restart the system. Not because there was a problem, but because the website is going so well, Chief was making too much money and was going to go into a higher tax bracket. And we thought the best time to continue to strengthen the site was 1 hour after trade period ended. And that's what we've done"

However, Guy's comments were contrasted by one of the affected posters HBF. "At no time did I have any indication that the server was being cut off. I first heard about it through the media. I had no contact from anyone at BF. I called up Chief and he said Yeah, we're looking to restart the servers. It's probably best if you look at posting on some other sites. I feel really let down by everyone at BF. It's been a tough year; only 17 rounds of footy, I haven't been able to attend games with my very very very good friend. And now this? Sure, I've got some things I need to work on; both in my posting and IRL. But I just feel let down by the way this was handled".
Not enough very's....only B+

Ned Guy statement on BigFooty's crash last night:

"This was a really successful website maintenance exercise. We definitely didn't have any server capacity issues. We've just been thinking for a while that we wanted to restart the system. Not because there was a problem, but because the website is going so well, Chief was making too much money and was going to go into a higher tax bracket. And we thought the best time to continue to strengthen the site was 1 hour after trade period ended. And that's what we've done"

However, Guy's comments were contrasted by one of the affected posters HBF. "At no time did I have any indication that the server was being cut off. I first heard about it through the media. I had no contact from anyone at BF. I called up Chief and he said Yeah, we're looking to restart the servers. It's probably best if you look at posting on some other sites. I feel really let down by everyone at BF. It's been a tough year; only 17 rounds of footy, I haven't been able to attend games with my very very very good friend. And now this? Sure, I've got some things I need to work on; both in my posting and IRL. But I just feel let down by the way this was handled".

What an absolute malaka

I must be missing something

I am sure the club will secure him on a decent contract without paying overs because of what clubs like North are offering

A talented player, in a club about to play finals, he and his manager would be well aware of what that means
Yeah I’ve got no concerns re retaining the players we want to, Harry is not going to go to another club when we are right on the verge of finals and hopefully flags, we saw in this trade period that no one wanted to leave not even JSOS who some had out the door.

I would be staggered if any of our wanted players requested a move for the sake of money, we have built a really strong team culture, especially since Teague took over, that values team success over individual glory, we saw on numerous occasions this year our Captain in Cripps sacrifice his own game for the betterment of the whole and if that is coming from the top down we are in a very handy position going forward.

As for people not rating our young playing stocks I suspect every club in the competition would gladly take our young group of mids in Dow, Philp, Kemp, Stocker, Obrien, Ramsay, Honey and Cottrell in a heart beat, and we don’t even immediately need them which will give them time to harden and mature before they need to step up.

I would go as far to say that we now have the best stockpile of up and coming mids in the comp now that GWS has had there mass exodus, and in 2-3 years time we will have the deepest running midfield in the competition and be the envy of the land.

People in the media have very little idea when it comes to a clubs list outside of the starting 22 and tend to make knee jerk reaction comments based on very little or no information what so ever.👍

Yeah I’ve got no concerns re retaining the players we want to, Harry is not going to go to another club when we are right on the verge of finals and hopefully flags, we saw in this trade period that no one wanted to leave not even JSOS who some had out the door.

I would be staggered if any of our wanted players requested a move for the sake of money, we have built a really strong team culture, especially since Teague took over, that values team success over individual glory, we saw on numerous occasions this year our Captain in Cripps sacrifice his own game for the betterment of the whole and if that is coming from the top down we are in a very handy position going forward.

As for people not rating our young playing stocks I suspect every club in the competition would gladly take our young group of mids in Dow, Philp, Kemp, Stocker, Obrien, Ramsay, Honey and Cottrell in a heart beat, and we don’t even immediately need them which will give them time to harden and mature before they need to step up.

I would go as far to say that we now have the best stockpile of up and coming mids in the comp now that GWS has had there mass exodus, and in 2-3 years time we will have the deepest running midfield in the competition and be the envy of the land.

People in the media have very little idea when it comes to a clubs list outside of the starting 22 and tend to make knee jerk reaction comments based on very little or no information what so ever.👍

JSOS is an interesting one.

Makes me think that he's well and truly in the projected best 22 from the coaches perspective. Had every reason to seek a trade, and if he wasn't in our plans we'd have had an opportunity to cash in a bit. Hopefully all the drama has been brushed off and he lines up R1 on a forward flank. Could see a highly motivated JSOS next year, wanting to prove a point.

Yes. That's not going to please everyone, but if each target makes for significant improvement to our squad, no-one will be complaining.
We know what we're going to get from Saad and Williams and they both make us immediately better.

On the other hand Essendon got Caldwell and paid good money to get a somewhat unproven player.
He may become a wonderful player in time, but is he what Essendon needed? I don't see it. They wanted that big-bodied mid and got a ~180cm player to tack onto other ~180cm mids, in: Shiel, Merrett, McGrath, Smith, Parish and Ham. In fact at 183cm Caldwell is now their tallest starting midfielder.
Height isn't everything but The Dons didn't get what they really needed most.

As you say....we got our premium targets....and Essendon just let their premium target down.

At Bunnings, you have to walk past the 'specials' bins at the front to get to the checkout. Everything is SO cheap, so you buy it all.

Sure, when you get home you realise you now have 6 ratchet sets, 5 impact drills, 8.7 million 3M hooks, enough AA batteries to power a small nation, and 27 dremel accessory kits despite not owning a rotary tool. But think of all the money you saved getting things on special!!!

That is Essendon's recruiting strategy...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never said there are no good players this year, not sure how you reached that conclusion.

There will be very good players in this draft, no doubt, but it is going to be harder to identify them given many didn't play any meaningful footy.

To illustrate - consider 2018. Based on an early draftee ranking from Knightmare, if there was no footy played in 2018 we could have seen:

- Collier-Dawkins go 6th instead of 20th
- Bobby Hill 7th instead of 24th
- Curtis Taylor 11th instead of 46th
- Jack Bytel 14th instead of 41st
- Tom Joyce 17th instead of 40th
- Bailey Scott 20th instead of 49th

Knightmare's not the pinnacle of junior assessment, but he watches a lot more than most of us. The field changes a LOT over the course of these kids' U/18 year. Players perform and rise, or struggle and slide.
Didn't macreadie go from top 3 to 30 over his draft age season?

Finals are coming

“They were a big winner I thought. You add two top 50 players in Adam Saad and Zac Williams in the trade period and only really gave up pick eight, I think it’s a pretty significant performance.”

“With it, comes some pressure to perform and nothing but a finals win in 2021 will be acceptable for Carlton.”
someone got to see if cornes is okay. theres no way he writes this about carlton without a gun to his head

He came in, scrapped our existing list for parts & slashed salaries - you don't do that unless you're thick-skinned.
At the trade table he was certainly creative but he also carried a certain reputation for staring down opposing list managers, which is why some were pining for SOS' return once the Saad deal had gone through.
I doubt for a second that when discussing a deal that SOS at any point was saying anything to the effect of "c'mon mate, this deal is great for both of us" & some of his commentary on TR validates my perspective.
It's all part of the caper but pretending that it was ever about achieving an equitable outcome is the stuff of fantasy.
Austin appears to have a different approach and frankly, there are a number of ways to get the job done, frankly, I couldn't care less about the cult of personality or the identity of the person performing the role, I just want the job done well.

Agree - there's often a mistake that people make that in any deal there has to be a winner and a loser. One of the criticisms of Donald Trump is that he not only wants to win a deal or contest - he has to humiliate the other guy.

In modern business the goal should be to aim for a win/win. This is far more sustainable and frankly produces better results.

I think a lot of people on here got into Donald Trump mode when looking at Dodo and the Saad deal.

People comparing SOS 2015, to Dodo 2020 in terms of draft capital.

Players lost that had some form of value and or continued their careers

2015 - Henderson, Menzel, Yarran, Bell, Hollman

2020 - Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, McKenna, McKernan

2015 v 2020 are similar in the way of KPP's but the biggest difference is the lack of exposure this year across the draft

* don't have a pointy end pick, that's not to say they can't unearth a Weitering, but it is harder. Only benefit they have is being able to take 3 selections in a row, which enables them to add balance of needs
What chance Dodo even remotely matching the 2015 haul of Weitering, Curnow, McKay and JSOS?

What chance Dodo even remotely matching the 2015 haul of Weitering, Curnow, McKay and JSOS?

This draft would be the worst year to be stocked with picks for a rebuild.

Not great for Adelaide, * and North

Such a shame, huh?

:p

At Bunnings, you have to walk past the 'specials' bins at the front to get to the checkout. Everything is SO cheap, so you buy it all.

Sure, when you get home you realise you now have 6 ratchet sets, 5 impact drills, 8.7 million 3M hooks, enough AA batteries to power a small nation, and 27 dremel accessory kits despite not owning a rotary tool. But think of all the money you saved getting things on special!!!

That is Essendon's recruiting strategy...

Good analogy ferris.:)

I used to have one about a car that needed a new carburettor, but the owner found flashier things to buy for it that made it look better
The car looked great but it used twice the petrol it should have and ran like shit......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back