Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interested to see if the Hawks get any takers with their shopping out. Don't think the pick valuations will be anywhere near what they are hoping for.

All good. I have little idea if player worth either. I always try to find a player on an opposition teams list that is similar and then think what would we rate him as. We all over rate our own so I reckon this helps. The players on other lists similar to Dow would never get that high a pick.

Have been his #1 optimistic fan this year...
But, Dow concerns me now, would have liked to move him on whilst his value is high...

He concerns me because he has to make the biggest improvement of anyone on our list to even get a game next year..
Dow's positives, he has
  • Great vision
  • Great hands
  • Improved his kicking
  • Pace - haven't seen much of this, may be a myth
  • Youth - time to improve
Dow's negatives, he has
  • Poor desire to chase
  • Poor desire to tackle
  • Poor tank to 2 way run and defend
  • Poor game awareness
These negative under an accountable coach and game plan may see Dow not even get a game...
Not sure if these areas can be fixed or not, part effort and part Dow's body...

Badly want him to make it, but starting to get concerned.. Starting to think LOB has more upside...
If you check the kms ran game to game Dow actually runs quite a lot, and is always in the top 3/5 in defensive running. I think the issue is not so much how much running he is doing, but where he is running to and when. More of a cerebral and positioning thing than a pure fitness thing

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you check the kms ran game to game Dow actually runs quite a lot, and is always in the top 3/5 in defensive running. I think the issue is not so much how much running he is doing, but where he is running to and when. More of a cerebral and positioning thing than a pure fitness thing
Bingo. He had quite a few good quarters in the second half of this season too - just hasnt had too many matches where he's put it altogether.....but that's been Carlton in a nutshell in the last 2-3 years. Hold up well for 3 quarters and have 1 where we fall to pieces.

With the uncertainty around draft these last two years I would like to see if we could clear some rookie space and bring in some players to develop - use the rookie list for what it meant for .. trying players without having to commit them to primary list ..

Some Richmond board nuffies seem convinced we will trade Paddy to them.

They must be running out of kool aid at Tigerland. No chance of that happening.

He is a required player whom i firmly believe will play his best footy next year under Vossy.

Haven't been Dow's biggest fan in the past, but what we saw from him in the 2nd half of last year really has me excited and optimistic.

Some players just probably need an extra season or two to develop as players than others, and that is perfectly okay.
Kouta - fida- Medes got to the club as a 15 yr old and worked his way through the 3rds ,then the 2nds ,and then had a Breakout senior game halfway through season 1994 .... Two and a half years after his debut senior game in R13 1992 [1992 was awarded best and fairest in the reserves/2nds competition
but never played any consistent AFL football until 1995
so even the best of our champions developed exceptionally slowly[ countless other examples of our champions that took time to develop I,E, Bruce Doull play 3/4 years of reserves football before he was developed enough to play the senior level .... And then he became a legend of the club and AFL over 17 yrs

I think we can give Dow a bit more time to develop but I do understand that he needs to do everything he can to fast track his own performances = and I'm thinking his body is just about to develop to a standard where he can play consistently throughout games/ entire seasons

Trade Dow for a player that had a major injury, yeah na

On SM-N986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not saying I support the idea but name a midfield better than Walsh, Mitchell, Cripps, Cerra, Hewett? Melbourne, sure. Probably the Dogs. I reckon that's it.

This is the disappointing thing about Teague - we're in a position where we aren't sure what we've actually got in terms of coaching and a list. If Teague had worked out, we'd be far more bullish about doing something like that.

If by better, you mean, has Fisher covered in average disposals, marks, tackles, goals, contested possessions, then yes, he is better.
Most of us thing of Wingard as a useful half-forward who can run through the middle. That isn't how he played this year. He is an elite midfielder who can hit the scoreboard. We should absolutely be looking at him if we can get him for a fair price.

See: https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I291962/Wingard-Chad

He's closer to Walsh than Fisher.

1633663758539.png

Carlton out: future1st, 25. In: 15 Tigs 21hawks future 3rdtigs
Tigs out: 7, 15 future3rd in T Mitchell Carl future 1st 25Carl
Hawks out: 21 T Mitchell in: 7Tigs
Something like this could work for all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they will find they have bitten off more than they could chew by turfing out Clarko for Mitchell

Wouldn't surprise me at if they won the spoon in 2022 (although my money is on Collingwood)

I think they may be aspiring to get the spoon - looks like Mitchell wants to get to rock bottom first and load up on high draft picks and works his way up the ladder over 5+ years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not saying I support the idea but name a midfield better than Walsh, Mitchell, Cripps, Cerra, Hewett? Melbourne, sure. Probably the Dogs. I reckon that's it.

This is the disappointing thing about Teague - we're in a position where we aren't sure what we've actually got in terms of coaching and a list. If Teague had worked out, we'd be far more bullish about doing something like that.

Agree - for the right offer (late first round pick or better ???) I'd entertain a Dow trade.

For me he's a bit like Samo - just not sure he is going to come on any further.

Happy to have him stay though and prove me wrong.

I would 100% hit up Rowell next year if he's not extended by mid-year. Problem is, if he comes out of the blocks flying as I expect - his price will rise astronomically.

2022 and 2023 firsts wouldn't even do it.

If we are able trade in Rowell then several of our players become redundant and would get us some third and fourth rounders which can also be used with our two first rounders to offer the Suns something equivalent to pick 1 and then some

He's 28 and he's a gun.
I would be concerned about him being the right fit in our group, not known for his defensive running and doesn’t break lines.

Would prefer someone with more outside capabilities & polish, would O’Meara be a better fit perhaps or have more defensive running and a better balance of inside/outside to fit around Cripps, Kennedy, Ed etc

Most of us thing of Wingard as a useful half-forward who can run through the middle. That isn't how he played this year. He is an elite midfielder who can hit the scoreboard. We should absolutely be looking at him if we can get him for a fair price.

See: https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I291962/Wingard-Chad

He's closer to Walsh than Fisher.

View attachment 1255849
The way he abused his young Hawks team mate was pretty ordinary, there’s a reason why 2 clubs now are/were happy to see the back of him.

In your hypothetical the following clubs would still have a stronger midfield than us:
Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Geelong,
Giants and probably the Swans, Port and the Lions. But beyond the midfield we are also building something special in our forward line and back line.

With the uncertainty around draft these last two years I would like to see if we could clear some rookie space and bring in some players to develop - use the rookie list for what it meant for .. trying players without having to commit them to primary list ..
Yep - at the moment we have 25, 64 & 82.

Go to the dogs and do 23 & 93 for 25 & 64

Spend 82 & 93 to upgrade Kennedy and OMac/Honey to the senior list - theres the three draft selections.

Nothing wrong with Sayer's doing what he's doing. He doesn't have the media, tv, radio slots that a Koshie, Eddie have/had and is obviously a real passionate Carlton man who has come in as president to get the footballing stuff back on track. Cook is more of a behind the scenes man so having Sayers be the face is fine as long as he knows when to stay out of footy dept matters. Cerra did say a part of his swaying to us was the changes and the positivity around the club and I'd think part of Sayers being confident and selling us publicly and telling media to kinda get stuffed may have played a part.

Personally I've always enjoyed his work

1633665062968.png

Sorry JJ...play on.

I would be concerned about him being the right fit in our group, not known for his defensive running and doesn’t break lines.

Would prefer someone with more outside capabilities & polish, would O’Meara be a better fit perhaps or have more defensive running and a better balance of inside/outside to fit around Cripps, Kennedy, Ed etc

JOM is all contested work these days - really struggles to kick due to his knee injuries.

I'd prefer Wingard, but like others wouldn't give up much for him. Pick 25 is about par.

Speaking of SPS.

I’m trying to understand why posters think Betts could mentor Stengle to stardom - when he couldn’t even get close with SPS?

Makes no sense to me.

move not heard about this one, what’s the story on Betts and SPS’ relationship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back