Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole schmozle of a trade weeks would be a whole lot simpler if they stopped ****ing around, increased the salary caps, paid the players an extra 30-40% and just let the club trade whoever they like & the players just lump it.
The whole “I want to go to this club” is bullshit, take it out of the players scope- they can nominate a preferred state & let the clubs work out the deals

Last edited:
Didn't watch a heap of GWS this year, so I'll defer to you there. My first thought was "hasn't he been injury prone lately", but his last three seasons were 17, 21 and 17 games respectively, which isn't hugely worrying.

As I said though, I doubt the club really consider him anyway given our current stocks down back. Had we called time on Marchbank, it might have been a different story.

Hmmmm….

Cripps played 17 and 20 games in 20 & 21.

He played but he was a shadow of himself when fully fit.

Without wanting to sound like a “wise guy” - just because a player is on the field you can’t assume g[]he is fully fit.

Whitfield was terrible this year.

Any club taking him on will be paying him$700k per year.

Bad move IMHO.

Agreed - did not look right all year. But neither did Taranto and Hopper missed most of the year. Isn't stopping the Tigs.

It is risky though as there is no guarantee about how well they come back from injury.

E.g. O'Meara was a gun but post injuries was just decent. Dawks paid for a gun in that trade losing 2 first rounders. Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow then broke his leg and is now a battler at best with no interest from the comp in a trade.

This whole schmozle of a trade weeks would be a whole lot simpler if they stopped ******* around, increased the salary caps, paid the players an extra 30-40% and just let the club trade whoever they like & the players just lump it.
The whole “I want to go to this club” is bullshit, take it out of the players scope- they can nominate a preferred state & let the clubs work out the deals

Part of me agree with what you're saying, but if I wanted to move interstate and was told I had no say about where I worked, I'd be far from impressed

Good point. Cerra is a good example. If we'd have taken him instead of Dow in 2017 we wouldn't have lost our first round pick last year (and taken Gibcus / Amiss / etc.). So trading had to step in and cover for a mistake by the recruiters.

Likewise to get Kemp, Stocker and Philp we gave up the Lachie Ash pick (looks a good young mid at GWS). Not giving up on Philp / Kemp but all 3 look closer to misses than hits at this point. Georgiadis and Sam Dekoning were the 2 picks after Kemp.

Kemp over De Koning was an all time howler of a decision imo.

De Koning was a prospect who filled a clear need in terms of list balance, had tremendous upside, good character, and his brother played for us. An obvious first selection after we traded back. Kemp had suffered a knee reconstruction, has no clear position or particular skill set at afl level (not that he's a bad player, but he doesn't stand out at anything).

I still believe that we simply got too clever. We intended on drafting De Koning, thought that Geelong had no interest, and felt Kemp too good to pass up because he was a top 10 rated prospect who slid due to injury. We took Kemp, expecting De Koning to be there 3 picks later, got wind he might not be and traded up, then panicked a bit when De Koning was gone and reached for Philp (who was really someone to look at with our next pick at 34 and a reach where we took him).

Our drafting has been honestly quite atrocious since 2015 but that one is likely to haunt us for 15 years...

De Koning was a prospect who filled a clear need in terms of list balance, had tremendous upside, good character, and his brother played for us. An obvious first selection after we traded back. Kemp had suffered a knee reconstruction, has no clear position or particular skill set at afl level (not that he's a bad player, but he doesn't stand out at anything).

I still believe that we simply got too clever. We intended on drafting De Koning, thought that Geelong had no interest, and felt Kemp too good to pass up because he was a top 10 rated prospect who slid due to injury. We took Kemp, expecting De Koning to be there 3 picks later, got wind he might not be and traded up, then panicked a bit when De Koning was gone and reached for Philp (who was really someone to look at with our next pick at 34 and a reach where we took him).

Our drafting has been honestly quite atrocious since 2015 but that one is likely to haunt us for 15 years...
Isn’t it recruiting rule #1- younger brother is always better, it’s normally a pretty safe bet

Don't give üp on Philp. Kid can play..needs 2 get fit.
Absolute ripping kid as well. 100% perfect attitude
Just needs some luck with injuries.

We took Kemp, expecting De Koning to be there 3 picks later, got wind he might not be and traded up, then panicked a bit when De Koning was gone and reached for Philp (who was really someone to look at with our next pick at 34 and a reach where we took him).
This is the one trade I've always thought was a clear error. Port ended up on-trading that pick for two second rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if that was what happened though. We had Jones and Weitering as our key backs and it looked to be a position that we didn't really have a need to spend draft capital on. Of course we weren't to know that their was a pandemic to come and that Jones would refuse to be vaccinated. The Dogs believe that he will be good for another 3 years and if so we wouldnt have needed a high price KPD till 2025.

At the time there was no prior discussion that we had an interest in SDK. We were very allegedly keen on Hayden Young and to a lesser extent Serong. When they were both gone before our pick SOS put in bids on Henry and Green which were both matched and then decided to split and trade down as he wanted Kemp and thought that he would still be available due to injury.

It's also worth remembering that there were 18 picks taken before SDK not just our one pick. If we had a crystal ball and the benefit of hindsight SDK would have been a great pick. Sadly we didn't have either.

This whole schmozle of a trade weeks would be a whole lot simpler if they stopped ******* around, increased the salary caps, paid the players an extra 30-40% and just let the club trade whoever they like & the players just lump it.

I’d go even further, clubs should be able to trade you to whoever they want.
You sign the contract, you get the terms and the dollaroos, whichever club you’re at pays it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Part of me agree with what you're saying, but if I wanted to move interstate and was told I had no say about where I worked, I'd be far from impressed
It's a sport though, which must adhere to some kind of equality, not really comparable to regular employment.
Change occupations if it is unsuitable.

Pretty good narrative here. So good it's actually believable. That line of thinking isn't helpful though. 'What could have been' goes both ways.

Pretty good narrative here. So good it's actually believable. That line of thinking isn't helpful though. 'What could have been' goes both ways.
Plus as I've said before it's not true. We had Jones with about 5 years left on the clock and Weitering with 8+ at that time so no great need with a high draft pick KPD. Can't recall any suggestion that SDK was on our radar at the time. Unfortunately things didn't pan out as we thought that they would. Still holding out hope for Kemp though.

Not sure if that was what happened though. We had Jones and Weitering as our key backs and it looked to be a position that we didn't really have a need to spend draft capital on. Of course we weren't to know that their was a pandemic to come and that Jones would refuse to be vaccinated. The Dogs believe that he will be good for another 3 years and if so we wouldnt have needed a high price KPD till 2025.

At the time there was no prior discussion that we had an interest in SDK. We were very allegedly keen on Hayden Young and to a lesser extent Serong. When they were both gone before our pick SOS put in bids on Henry and Green which were both matched and then decided to split and trade down as he wanted Kemp and thought that he would still be available due to injury.

It's also worth remembering that there were 18 picks taken before SDK not just our one pick. If we had a crystal ball and the benefit of hindsight SDK would have been a great pick. Sadly we didn't have either.

Thought we were also rumoured to be into Cooper Stephens too, who Geelong took before us/Kemp.

**** that's depressing reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back