Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t you dare get rid of Philp. Don’t you dare.

Watch him make it at another club. My heart will break.
If he can get his body right, he's exactly the type of player we need - the inside/outside mid who can burst from stoppages.

Still only 21yo, so definitely worth persisting with. I'd rather that than delist him and grab some kid at pick 66, then spend the next 2 years trying to work out if he's any good.

Surely someone would take a punt on him for a 4th round pick swap.

Otherwise, could we agree a pay out and spread it over multiple years?

Unfortunately for LOB, we need the list spot more than we need him.
Do we need the list spot that much?
I'm not sure that it's good practice (or good karma) to be paying out contracts, especially for players without discipline or injury issues.

I see Philp a little like Cuningham. Their Running power probably gives them an extra season more then what you would usually give. Sort of how talls get that extra season, just in case.

I can’t actually remember someone cleaning up the fumbles as much as Philp would have to, to make it. So I’m not confident
Kerridge level imo

If he can get his body right, he's exactly the type of player we need - the inside/outside mid who can burst from stoppages.

Still only 21yo, so definitely worth persisting with. I'd rather that than delist him and grab some kid at pick 66, then spend the next 2 years trying to work out if he's any good.
The two years bit is important. Give me Philp for one over anyone at 60 plus in the draft.

What a tricky game list management is.

6 weeks ago Fog and DC were morals to be delisted. Now they've had a crack at it, and we've seen what they can do, retaining them is becoming a high priority.
If Marchbank (touchwood) can put together a strong final month of football, we know the talent he has, his body has let him down to this point, but the talent is there and as above, 4 good weeks would make us once again desperate to retain.
Philp's ability and what he has shown internally has always seen him really rated by the club, if they could convince him to move onto a rookie contract I'm sure they'd love to keep him around.

So one would assume:
Ed - retire
Fisher - trade
Dow - Trade
Honey - Probably delisted
Plowman - delisted
Then it gets tricky... Marchy vs Gov... Will Marchy stay fit, will Gov take a huge pay cut... Philp... rookie chance? Fog and Cunners ideally on 1-2 year contracts that are incentive based.
And Jack... what will Jack do. What's best for Jack and what's best for Carlton.

If it wasn’t obvious already, I would 1000% be keeping him.

Kerridge level imo
With Kerridge it seemed to infiltrate his whole game.
Not sure with Philp that it is anything other than a confidence issue which will improve as he becomes more accustomed to the speed of AFL environment.
Wasnt an issue in his junior days as far as I’m aware.

Do we need the list spot that much?
I'm not sure that it's good practice (or good karma) to be paying out contracts, especially for players without discipline or injury issues.

You make a fair point, but it seems clear to me that he doesn't have a future at our club beyond being a VFL/depth player next season.

Wouldn't it be better practice/karma to give him the chance to land at a club where he might have a starting role and a long-term AFL career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make a fair point, but it seems clear to me that he doesn't have a future at our club beyond being a VFL/depth player next season.

Wouldn't it be better practice/karma to give him the chance to land at a club where he might have a starting role and a long-term AFL career?
Sure, but there's a big difference between facilitating a trade for 6th round pick, and cutting a contracted player.

I should have stipulated that in my hypothetical scenario, he and his management would be requesting a release from his contract to get to another destination.

Why on earth would they request that when there's no guarantee he'll land a gig elsewhere? Why would we pay him out and cut ties when he might land a gig next year?

Neither of your last posts are logical.

Why on earth would they request that when there's no guarantee he'll land a gig elsewhere? Why would we pay him out and cut ties when he might land a gig next year?

Neither of your last posts are logical.

They might request it if they have an offer from another club.

I'm aware that it's an unlikely scenario, I'm just discussing possibilities on an internet forum.

They might request it if they have an offer from another club.

I'm aware that it's an unlikely scenario, I'm just discussing possibilities on an internet forum.

It's not logical. The other club could just offer a Rhys Palmer equiv. pick ~135 and everyone is happy.

2024 salary protected if it goes pear shaped
We don't pay out someone who might get on a list in 2024
Receiving side gives the equivalent of nada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back