List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

A new key forward? As per bluemour from 43.

Fair enough. Both Mitch and Weiters played forward early on didn't they? Turned out ok.

BUt yeah, I take you point. Back up for Weiters definitely seems the go.
Unless there's a definite/specific target with the skillset already, it's a big hailmary. Paying big $$ for Midfielders is what burns me. We've needed a KPB for so long we could have stockpiled and paid the extra $$ there. Mids are a dime a dozen, and half of them have average disposal these days.

Maybe Connor Stone. Fits that hybrid profile.
Max Gruzewski would be the dream....reckon this kid is gonna be a gem. The problem is that GWS also seem to think so - not getting a game right now behind Hogan, Riccardi, Brown and Cadman - but they re-signed him last year until the end of 2026.

Connor Stone probably sits behind all of them, so is gettable. Out of contract the end of the year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless there's a definite/specific target with the skillset already, it's a big hailmary. Paying big $$ for Midfielders is what burns me. We've needed a KPB for so long we could have stockpiled and paid the extra $$ there. Mids are a dime a dozen, and half of them have average disposal these days.
As soon as L.Jones jumped ship, Austin and his talent spotters should have been looking for someone to fill the gap at CHB as it has been one of our weaknesses since then. Even though Gov does a good job down there and we miss him when he gets injured, we still have had a need for a 198-200cm defender for the future. Obviously S.Durdin is not considered good enough or he would not be stuck in the reserves like he is, and the same goes for Lewis Young. Hopefully it can happen this draft as we have two mids in the Campo boys coming in, so if Austin could land an early pick somehow(?) before Ben Campo is bid on then perhaps that would give us a chance to find a tall key defender......if there are any good KPD in this draft that is?!!

As soon as L.Jones jumped ship, Austin and his talent spotters should have been looking for someone to fill the gap at CHB as it has been one of our weaknesses since then. Even though Gov does a good job down there and we miss him when he gets injured, we still have had a need for a 198-200cm defender for the future. Obviously S.Durdin is not considered good enough or he would not be stuck in the reserves like he is, and the same goes for Lewis Young. Hopefully it can happen this draft as we have two mids in the Campo boys coming in, so if Austin could land an early pick somehow(?) before Ben Campo is bid on then perhaps that would give us a chance to find a tall key defender......if there are any good KPD in this draft that is?!!
Luke Trainor (likely out of our reach)
Matt Whitlock
Harry O'Farrell (son of our gun lawyer)
Noah Mraz

I would expect Jack to perform very well as a lockdown Backman. I'd try him at FB and move weiters to CHB as intercept

Hmmm... I think it's one of the more forgotten things in footy, but a certain 191cm Stephen Silvagni began his career as a forward, spent time as a utility who shifted all over the park, then really only settled into the backline after a bad injury. Stephen only shifted to full back permanently at age 26 (promptly ripping off 5x All-Australian seasons in the next 6 years and being voted full back of the century).

191cm Jack Silvagni... starts his career as a forward, becomes a utility playing mostly as a ruck/forward, then at age 26 returns from a bad knee injury to full back, followed by 5 All-Australian seasons in 6 years, and cementing his status as full back of the 21st century?

It's not impossible, although by this stage Stephen had a) played more than a few dominant games at full back (including the 1987 GF), and b) spent a season as a CHB where he came second in the Brownlow (no AA team was picked in 1990, but he would have been in it). I don't really know why our coaches (particularly Walls) wanted him to be a forward when it was clear that he was much better as a full back, and in hindsight we were also rolling out some ridiculously tall forward lines (in his 8 goal game in 1992 we had Silvagni, Kernahan, 198cm Earl Spalding and the famous Stephen Oliver all as tall forwards).

While they are both the same height, Jack is now undersized in a league that has generally got taller. TBH Stephen was also slightly undersized (hence spending most of the first half of his career as a CHB, utility or forward) but at least Plugger Lockett was also only 191cm (Max King is 202cm). Then again, McGovern is also only 191 so pretty similar...

Hmmm... I think it's one of the more forgotten things in footy, but a certain 191cm Stephen Silvagni began his career as a forward, spent time as a utility who shifted all over the park, then really only settled into the backline after a bad injury. Stephen only shifted to full back permanently at age 26 (promptly ripping off 5x All-Australian seasons in the next 6 years and being voted full back of the century).

191cm Jack Silvagni... starts his career as a forward, becomes a utility playing mostly as a ruck/forward, then at age 26 returns from a bad knee injury to full back, followed by 5 All-Australian seasons in 6 years, and cementing his status as full back of the 21st century?

It's not impossible, although by this stage Stephen had a) played more than a few dominant games at full back (including the 1987 GF), and b) spent a season as a CHB where he came second in the Brownlow (no AA team was picked in 1990, but he would have been in it). I don't really know why our coaches (particularly Walls) wanted him to be a forward when it was clear that he was much better as a full back, and in hindsight we were also rolling out some ridiculously tall forward lines (in his 8 goal game in 1992 we had Silvagni, Kernahan, 198cm Earl Spalding and the famous Stephen Oliver all as tall forwards).

While they are both the same height, Jack is now undersized in a league that has generally got taller. TBH Stephen was also slightly undersized (hence spending most of the first half of his career as a CHB, utility or forward) but at least Plugger Lockett was also only 191cm (Max King is 202cm). Then again, McGovern is also only 191 so pretty similar...
Jack's issue is his speed and vertical leap. He's a smart player but he's pretty ordinary athletically compared to most key positions players around these days.

Could it work? Maybe... But I don't think he's much chance of making a shift there this late in the piece, we already trialled him in the VFL a few times down back a while ago and it didn't work out too well.

Apparently we are more interested in adding another Charlie to our forward line.
A KPD would make a ton of sense. But the general feel across the AFL is these are easier to find from forwards that didn't work out and the big money is better spent elsewhere.
Not that we have a large amount of wiggle room as is.
Could give kemp a try forward and find that taller kpd to slot in.

Lockett was 110kg & quick on the lead.
Setting aside sentiment, JSOS isn't quick or great overhead which are problematic when it comes to him making the adjustment into a KPD.

Don’t think drafting would be the answer as we need someone yesterday. I’d be trading picks, players etc if we can identify a decent gettable target. I know that this will be an unpopular view but clubs are currently circling Owies, and TDK seems to operate better without Pitto, and Rucks currently hold good currency. These are option I would look at to get support in for Weiters asap.

Jack is a VERY smart and natural footballer. He isn’t quick of body but can read the play better than most and put himself in the right spot (much like Deisel). Also, his body on body work is very good, and when he was rucking I was very surprised to see him holding his own, even against much larger opponents. He is also a very good contested mark. I think he would play taller as a FB much like Scarlett did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back