List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

The commentary we have done trades and we don't have cap space is not entirely correct.
lt is flexible tool, l would suggest at least 4-5 players on reasonable $ will be let go, plus potentially Carroll & Owies may be traded for picks also, we have the core group to challenge, but the fact we are in a similar position now to Voss's 1st year indicates we still have some finishing touches to the list without doubt.

l personally would prefer we go to the draft heavily this year & bring in some talented young players, but can also see the Houston argument, we're we have many older defenders & combined with the fact he is a elite kick.
Maybe a F1st and a pick acquired from Carroll may give us a chance as don't see many clubs giving away a 1st round pick this year.
What we havenā€™t got right since Voss tenure are a kpd (young and durdin havenā€™t worked) and our ball movement from back half to front half and f50 entries.

So in part list management and in part coachingā€¦

Coaching was good last week against weagles. Hopefully we transition to that style of play.

2 areas to work on over off seasonā€¦
a KPD and modern game style.

Whether itā€™s Houston, Rachelle, B.Smith, Barras, McGovern, Battle or whoever else, we need to strengthen our best 22, otherwise we will stagnate and get overtaken.

We dont have an up and coming, young and inexperienced side, thereā€™s not a great deal of internal growth left, so its a concern if we only add some players around the edges and expect a big uplift next year.

Looking at Fremantle and them targeting Baker and Bolton, why will we overtake them next year? Why will we jump Geelong after they add Smith? Hawthorn if they add Battle and Barass?

With a super tight comp, if teams around us or above are adding better quality than us, then how will we keep up?

Dunno about that. Bottom up:

Wilson was drafted with a view to adding much needed pace, is developing in the ressies but could easily feature next year. He's not likely to be a gun from day one, but he adds something we lack.

Moir has played one quarter, fantastic skills, definitely scope for him to improve us. Kid could be anything.

Lord and Binns with 1 and 1.1 games respectively, both shown they can play at the level when called upon. Not likely to feature prominently yet but they're ready to be AFL-grade depth which is handy from a player management perspective to get the most out of our senior players.

Kemp, Hollands (x2), Cowan, Motlop, Boyd, Cincotta and Durdin all with less than 50 games to their names have plenty of growth still in them. Carroll too, if he doesn't seek a trade.

De Koning, amazingly, has played more games in his career than Pittonet. Both are only in the 70s though, neither have peaked.

Williams has played maybe 5 games as a forward - more time in the new role will very likely come with improved connection with the other forwards.

Walsh and Curnow have both been playing under duress this year. A change in fitness management now and a preseason spent getting them right for next year could easily see both improve significantly in 2025.

If you think we don't have significant internal growth potential then you're not looking very closely.

Some of this will be balanced out with a bit of a decline from some older players, but with Newman our oldest at 31yrs, I'd say we're better placed than almost any other club in this regard.

Arenā€™t we a top 4 team in scoring from our back half?
Yeah thatā€™s trueā€¦weā€™ve been better this season up until 6-7 weeks ago.

However, I thought it was more based on contested playā€¦in other words hard work šŸ˜“

Would be nice to do it in a less taxing wayā€¦

Hawks currently doing a magnificent job.

What we havenā€™t got right since Voss tenure are a kpd (young and durdin havenā€™t worked) and our ball movement from back half to front half and f50 entries.

So in part list management and in part coachingā€¦

Coaching was good last week against weagles. Hopefully we transition to that style of play.

2 areas to work on over off seasonā€¦
a KPD and modern game style.
ln terms of modern game style we have had a stable list & coaching team for 3 years now, the quality teams are going to continue to try to expose us with our lack of mid field speed, in the past month this has been clearly evident, so more quickness & improved ball use is a key to taking the next step, so our list management team will need to address this.

ln terms of modern game style we have had a stable list & coaching team for 3 years now, the quality teams are going to continue to try to expose us with our lack of mid field speed, in the past month this has been clearly evident, so more quickness & improved ball use is a key to taking the next step, so our list management team will need to address this.
Yeah I agree.

Stats might tell a different story but to the eye our ball movement often looks like really hard work.

Iā€™m not sure that is the sole reason of our recent bout of injuries but itā€™s got to be a factor.

Midfield is the key as they are the ones playing between the arcs and feature heavily in our ball movement.

Yeah I agree.

Stats might tell a different story but to the eye our ball movement often looks like really hard work.

Iā€™m not sure that is the sole reason of our recent bout of injuries but itā€™s got to be a factor.

Midfield is the key as they are the ones playing between the arcs and feature heavily in our ball movement.
Next best thing is having elite high half forwards who can push up around the ball and burn their opponents on the way back. GWS utilize this to its best effect, their inside mids are no quicker than ours but Daniels, Jones, Bedford etc push up and completely overrun opposition midfields.

IMO our chances of getting a quality inside mid with pace is very very low, so I'd be trying to add that pressure through our half forward line to help out Fog with his pressure up the field.

Yes heā€™s shirked a few contestsā€¦

However, Iā€™d still give our F1 for Rachele. Kicked 30 goals this year and is only 21yo (still has 10+ years in the game).

Major upgrade on Owies, plus weā€™d get the additional pick for trading Owiesā€¦

Iā€™d also offer this years first for Leek Aleerā€¦

OUT: 2024 First, 2025 First & Owies
IN: Rachelle, Aleer, 2024 Second

If the top 30 of this draft is as even as they say, losing our first but gaining a second wouldnā€™t be that badā€¦

As good as Houston is. Gaining 2x players, 23 and under, in 2x areas of need for the same cost, is a no brainerā€¦

Rachele has the stink of St Kilda or Essendon IMO.

Clubs that fall in love with potential and are willing to gamble

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair to the kid even in a year he's been considered a bit 'down' he's still kicked 30 goals and averages a tick under a goal assist per game.

We'd be absolutely going nuts if a 2nd year small forward did that for us

Durdin is the one we need to make a player out of and he teased us again last week. He is the type we need at HF.

Doc and a long shot in Wilson through the wings and midfield would improve our speed through there massively. Possibly even at HF.

Iā€™ve said it before but for me it doesnā€™t matter how good a forward or midfielder is, with where our list is atm if they arenā€™t a great runner I wouldnā€™t bother.

To be fair to the kid even in a year he's been considered a bit 'down' he's still kicked 30 goals and averages a tick under a goal assist per game.

We'd be absolutely going nuts if a 2nd year small forward did that for us
I phrased it poorly.

I meant that the situation feels like a vic club has been in his ear.

Not that he's not a good player

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are currently selling the dream to Luko.

They need collateral to make a trade happen and to convince his management that he should nominate them over the Crows.

Hence, theyā€™ll bend at their demands for 2x 1st round picks.

Selling the dream!!

Itā€™s purely about cashā€¦

Heā€™s currently on the Gold Coast, dream doesnā€™t get much betterā€¦!

Big no for Houston.

Doesn't fit a need and not really an upgrade on anyone in the position.

I rate Doc, Saad and Newman above him.

Cowan is developing beautifully so don't want him to get less opportunities and Boyd can play a larger role I reckon.

Also the draft pick cost for a player who is not a star is ridiculous.
I get it. No to Houston based on assumed price. However, I would not knock back Houston for a pick between 25 & 30

sides may back themselves to do better managing jack's injuries than us. supporters opinions on russell would dictate whether they feel the same.

it happens. jarrad waite managed to spend a lot more time on the ground in his first contract with north than with us. kaput after that though.

Last edited:
McGovern Weitering Saad
Newman Aleer Houston
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Berry McKay Fogarty
Williams Curnow Kemp
Dekoning Walsh Cowan

Cerra Kennedy Docherty E.Hollands

I could live with this if it was somehow possible. I suspect it wouldn't be with our current draft picks, but if it was Id definitely allow it

If there are indeed multiple clubs interested, then that works massively in our favour. A bidding war drives his contract offers up, and a higher contract offer makes it feasible for us to set a higher price at the trade table.

Depending on what else we have going on, if we could get a second rounder for Martin (this year or next, say in the 27-36 range) then I'd take it and run.

Martin out (hypothetically) a future second rounder from Freo.
Aleer in for that future second as well as our own future second (GWS stockpile some solid picks for future academy bids in case the discount goes out the window).
Take our first to the draft for Berry or Lindsay.
Take the Campos wherever the fall.
Retain our 2025 first rounder to address further needs next year.

If you think we don't have significant internal growth potential then you're not looking very closely.

I watch every week and Iā€™m well aware of the players on our list, Iā€™m also aware that our core group of players McKay, Weitering, Curnow are 27 years old this year and our best player and possible competition best is 30 by the start of next season, these players are fantastic but i think they are all at their peak, how long their peaks last is dependant on the individual.

My comment about significant internal growth is that we arenā€™t a young rebuilding team anymore whoā€™s loaded up on top draft picks, we have already done that, you also gave me a list of Carlton players to say we have significant growth, yet any poster on any clubs board will list several of their players as a reason for projected growth. Every team has developing players.

I think we sat on our hands a little bit at the end of last season and a few teams have gone past us, i just dont want us to do the same this year, regardless of how we do it, i dont care but other clubs will be pushing hard to add to their lists and we need to keep up.

I watch every week and Iā€™m well aware of the players on our list, Iā€™m also aware that our core group of players McKay, Weitering, Curnow are 27 years old this year and our best player and possible competition best is 30 by the start of next season, these players are fantastic but i think they are all at their peak, how long their peaks last is dependant on the individual.

My comment about significant internal growth is that we arenā€™t a young rebuilding team anymore whoā€™s loaded up on top draft picks, we have already done that, you also gave me a list of Carlton players to say we have significant growth, yet any poster on any clubs board will list several of their players as a reason for projected growth. Every team has developing players.

I think we sat on our hands a little bit at the end of last season and a few teams have gone past us, i just dont want us to do the same this year, regardless of how we do it, i dont care but other clubs will be pushing hard to add to their lists and we need to keep up.

I still disagree :p but that's OK, conversation is good.

You could easily name a best 22 for us that has up to 8 players with less than 50 games experience. And those players aren't talentless rookies either, there's some genuine pedigree in the mix.

I think we over-analyse our own list, frequently. We're looking for the thing that will give us that edge going into the next season. Sometimes that thing is a key signing or two, sometimes it's a couple of kids stepping up a notch, sometimes it's a mid-tier player finding a role and excelling, sometimes it's a group coming together and deciding what they stand for. There are lots of paths to improvement, and ideally you want to be making progress on all of them, not going all-in on one.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back