Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Goodwin had taken them to a prelim. Dimma took them to finals 3 years in a row. Bomber had taken geelong to prelims.
Dimma took them to 3 finals in a row…
In his 4th year in charge.

Bomber took Geelong to a prelim…
In his 5th year. Didn’t make finals after his first year in 2000 until 2004.

Goodwin has taken them to a prelim in his second year after choking a finals spot in his first year…
Finished 17th the year after and missed finals the following year. Would have been kicked out at Essendon.

I think Heppellfreak is probably being a bit liberal with his information or his source is

It seems more likely to me that a group who could be said to represent Essendon (i.e. 2 or 3 members of the board including the President to be) have courted Clarkson on the basis that things are delicate, that we can't be overt but that the plan is thus...we can't promise anything but if these are the terms, how interested are you? They could have kept him updated of developments.

These same people then take what they have to the rest of the board to solidify votes for a coup.

Unless we have been completely ruthless about this and kept Brasher around as the sacrificial lamb. But I doubt that.
I think we’ve been more reactive and last two weeks have made a move to get him. Clarko’s team said they would answer North and Giants this week…and here we are. Maybe if anything Clarko was hoping something else may pop up. Can’t believe he would lead his old team on like this

So if we are talking no one’s job is safe who do we rate and who do we not rate?

In terms of key moving pieces I personally rate Rutten, Mahoney, RFK, Carracella, am on on the fence about Tapping and Murphy purely because it’s too early to tell and do not rate Campbell, Brasher, Dodoro, Stanton, Sheedy and Madden.

There’s lots of bath water being chucked around here, we couldn’t organise a root in a brothel.

You said the same thing when I said he’ll be at Essendon. You either hate people getting info before you or your mad because your not the one that called it. Haters wherever you go i guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ruh roh

Longmuir actually has a proper system which he has successfully implemented and has got improvement year on year. Pressure on rutten isn’t just on yesterday, it’s on many performances where the team simple don’t turn up to play and look like a bunch of traffic cones. That was the 5th disgraceful loss for the year, you only get so many apologies.
Mate Fremantle lost by about 10 goals in the last round to a side with nothing to play for with finals on the line. The only thing that says to me is that you’re criticising Rutten for not being bad in his first year.

Last edited:
Goodwin had taken them to a prelim. Dimma took them to finals 3 years in a row. Bomber had taken geelong to prelims.
Yeah, that's the point
Dimma didn't make a prelim until 2017 (eighth year
Clarkson in 2008 (4th year)
Bomber in 2004 (5th year)

It's almost like successful clubs stick fat through adversity and back their guy in through a rebuild or something, who'd a thunk it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said the same thing when I said he’ll be at Essendon. You either hate people getting info before you or your mad because your not the one that called it. Haters wherever you go i guess.

QUICK, TO THE CHAD MOBILE!!!

Dimma took them to 3 finals in a row…
In his 4th year in charge.

Bomber took Geelong to a prelim…
In his 5th year. Didn’t make finals after his first year in 2000 until 2004.

Goodwin has taken them to a prelim in his second year after choking a finals spot in his first year…
Finished 17th the year after and missed finals the following year. Would have been kicked out at Essendon.
Yeah and in 2020 they finished the year playing a consistent brand of footy which probably saved him.
Dimma took over the worst team in the competition of course it was going to take time, you don’t get judged in year 1 or 2 in that position if you’re winning 6-7 games, it’s only when you have a run like Noble the hammer comes down. If you show growth year on year you get time to build. Same with bomber at geelong, they had a massive group of young talent all coming through together he got time and they showed improvement year on year.

Correct.

I mean other than when Melbourne stuck with Goodwin and he won them a flag.

Or when Richmond stuck with Dimma and he won three flags.

Or when West Coast went for Simpson and he won them a flag.

Or when the Dogs went with Beveridge and he won them a flag.

Or indeed, when Hawthorn went for Clarkson over Wallace and he won them 4 flags.

Or when Geelong stuck with Bomber and he won two flags. Then had another untried coach in Scott take over from him and win another flag.

But apart from them, its unequivocal that you do indeed have to go with the proven coach.

They didn’t move on a 4 time premiership coach, one of the best coaches to ever coach the game. Nice try though

Yeah and he was building from the ground up. He took over and the cupboard was bare. It was full proper rebuild. They then got better year on year. Made finals 3 years in a row, then had a disappointing 2016.
We have had a massive exodus at the start of Rutten's solo tenure. I was genuinely expecting bottom 4 in 2021.

maybe an unpopular question but is Clarkson worth the hype?

Sure he won 4 flags but the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughie, Sewell and Buddy were all already at the club before Clarko showed up. They were all the leaders and players who were the engine room behind those flags, i appreciate a good coach connects the players and builds the game plan to succeed but the cattle are the ones that make it happen and that was a pretty good group of existing cattle!

i dont know if he has much of a record of rebuilding and i certainly don't think the Bombers have the leaders(or potential leaders) that he had a Hawthorn when he started there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back