Review Bob Murphy slowing down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course he's in decline, he's 32 years old in a couple of weeks.

I've seen him since he was skinny as a whippet tackling blokes twice his size. Saw that big lump Rocca break his ACL at the 'G and cost him a 300 game career.

I love him, always have, he's a rolls royce of a player, he floats like the butterfly and stings like the bee.

Shit thread is shit

Is that because of the OP and thread title or because you don't like criticism of the form of one of our favourite sons? No player should be immune from fair criticism and comment.

I agree the OP was OTT but I think we need to separate the two matters.
I'm going to list every problem I have with this thread:
1. The fact a single player is in the line of fire despite many contributing poor performances, and the lack of support around him.
2. A couple of average games in a row after a quality opening to the season and an excellent 2013, and he's being torn down.
3. The fact an overwhelming majority of our play is directed through his position and as such he's going to make more noticeable errors when out of touch.
4. The completely reactionary response to a loss against a front-running team that would've flogged us at this time last year or the year before.

It is worth discussing where Murphy's at, but honestly, this is an absolutely over the top, offensive and ridiculous method of doing so - in fact, it's not doing, so, it's being deliberately insulting to a champion of this club who exemplifies courage, dedication, loyalty and footballing intelligence.

1. The fact a single player is in the line of fire despite many contributing poor performances, and the lack of support around him.
2. A couple of average games in a row after a quality opening to the season and an excellent 2013, and he's being torn down.
3. The fact an overwhelming majority of our play is directed through his position and as such he's going to make more noticeable errors when out of touch.
4. The completely reactionary response to a loss against a front-running team that would've flogged us at this time last year or the year before.

It is worth discussing where Murphy's at, but honestly, this is an absolutely over the top, offensive and ridiculous method of doing so - in fact, it's not doing, so, it's being deliberately insulting to a champion of this club who exemplifies courage, dedication, loyalty and footballing intelligence.
Ahh there's my words thanks Nathan.

The thread is the most ridiculous thing I've seen on BF. This is how some of our supporters want to thank a great servant of our club. A disgrace.

Murphy's been a bit down, as expected at his career stage. But he is still bloody good and would slot straight into any other side.

Look I don't want to make a campaign out of this but I don't think you have understood my point.

You will have seen yourself that at least half the squad has already been "in the line of fire" so far this year. AFAIK this is the first time Murphy's even been mentioned.
I think most of the comments in this thread (bar one or two) have been fair and that Murphy has not been "torn down". Also I am talking about 2014 in contrast to his excellent 2013. That's my point.
Not sure I agree with this but it's fair comment. For my part I was saying he hasn't been as damaging as in previous years, not that he was making noticeable errors.
Hmmm ... perhaps it's better we have this discussion mid-week, then? ;)

So like I said, separate the OP from the issue of Murphy's form. There's only one post (or perhaps more accurately, one poster) on this thread who I'd say has been insulting to Murphy. If you ignore that, the issue of his form is still there and IMO is worthy of discussion. Hopefully he just has an injury niggle that we aren't aware of, but I'm concerned it might be more than that.

Murphy's been a bit down, as expected at his career stage. But he is still bloody good and would slot straight into any other side.
Exactly right the OP may have been a bit over the top, but with more than a few sub par performances both this year and last he is still not immune from criticism.
Crossy was also one of my favorite players, could still play a role in this team if he wasn't keeping a young one out of the side.
Bob will and always will be a champion of the club but father time waits for no-one.

Look I don't want to make a campaign out of this but I don't think you have understood my point.

So like I said, separate the OP from the issue of Murphy's form. There's only one post (or perhaps more accurately, one poster) on this thread who I'd say has been insulting to Murphy. If you ignore that, the issue of his form is still there and IMO is worthy of discussion. Hopefully he just has an injury niggle that we aren't aware of, but I'm concerned it might be more than that.
No, that's a fair call by you, and perhaps what I've posted is a frustrated response at a thread that I believe to just be reactionary crap that isn't worth the internet bandwidth it occupies.

For what it's worth, my problems with the thread were leveled at the initial post and not the stinging backlash that has occurred since - of course, he isn't immune from criticism, nobody is, but both the manner and purpose of this thread are reactionary and downright offensive. Criticize Murphy if you will - his output against Carlton, Adelaide and Essendon has been far from his best, but up until then he's had a reasonable season, and the player that he is doesn't warrant such criticism as 'bruise free', 'occasional highlight' and the jab at his media work, which would have minimal if any impact on the football he's playing.

Wasn't ever the same player or person after Rocca snapped his leg in half from behind like a coward

CHB as a retirement gig... You're lucky EJ isn't still alive (bless his soul) to hear that...

Wasn't ever the same player or person after Rocca snapped his leg in half from behind like a coward

CHB as a retirement gig... You're lucky EJ isn't still alive (bless his soul) to hear that...

That's incorrect. Rocca accidentally fell over Murphy's knee, because of Gia's hospital 20 metre kick. I was right behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He must be thinking of someone else.

After racking my brain I wasn't really picturing Gia launching a hospital ball backwards into the Collingwood forward 50.

That's incorrect. Rocca accidentally fell over Murphy's knee, because of Gia's hospital 20 metre kick. I was right behind it.
Are you sure you've got the right incident? Rocca threw Murphy to the ground, rag dolled him in a sling tackle that deserved weeks then, would get weeks now. It was a shit act. We've never seen the best of Murphy as a strong marking forward since IMO.

Boydy abuse is not OK at all either, we all know where his strengths and weaknesses lie. Fair to say Bob is in decline, but a thread like this is well out of order. Bob is as Footscray as a hot bowl of pho, irrespective of his form on field he deserves enough respect not to have threads like this written about him. I'm not going to abuse you mate, why would I do that?

Opinion is out of order - FFS ! this site has become very Stalinist

He has set such a high standard over the years it's not a big statement to say he is in decline. It would be unrealistic to expect him not to be.I just wish we had a lot more blokes in a similar decline to Murph. Suggesting that retirement might be as close as this season are very premature.

Acker......what are your thoughts on opposition coaches who still think Murph is such a danger coming out of defence that they continue to have strategies to curb his influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bob Murphy slowing down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back