Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool fc
Bomber's doubt for season start

By Mark Robinson
February 18, 2008
<DIV id=storybody>ESSENDON coach Matthew Knights and high-performance manager John Quinn will map out a reshaped rehabilitation schedule for Scott Gumbleton, who tore his hamstring for the third time in 12 months on Saturday night.

Gumbleton, who was visibly shattered after tearing the hamstring in the early minutes of the Bombers' win over the Brisbane Lions at Gold Coast Stadium, will miss at least four weeks, meaning round one selection is doubtful.

The continued problem in his legs is a major concern, as is the severity of tears.

"We're not going to hide away from what's happened because we want to assist him so it's no use saying it's not serious, because it is," Knights said after landing back in Melbourne.

"Scott's devastated, very disappointed because he understands the club is very keen to give him a lot of opportunities at centre half-forward or high forward and he understood he would get a lot of opportunities to settle into the team. It's disappointing because he is a prodigious talent.
"I said to him last night, when I went down at quarter-time, his time will come and that he has to hang tough and believe in himself and there will be a time when he'll play three or four years without injury."

Gumbleton, the No. 2 selection in the 2006 national draft, played five games in his debut season last year, mainly as a key forward.

There's an expectation he would take over from Scott Lucas and skipper Matthew Lloyd in the forward line.

Saturday night's injury was to the opposite hamstring he tore last year.
"I will talk with John Quinn in the morning," Knights said. "There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason this point in time why it happens.

"He trained magnificently on the Wednesday, did some one-on-one leading out and then early in the game, out of the blue, he goes for a marking contest and it goes. It's hard to get your head around as coach. I've watched him work so hard and as coach I feel empathy.

"For young players taken very high (in the draft), there's a lot of expectation . . . and Scott hasn't had a lot of continuity in playing and training."

Knights said Gumbleton was mentally capable of dealing with this latest setback.

"He's a quiet lad, but he has got a fair bit of steel about him. He's similar to Brent Stanton when he started, he was quiet, but that's not to be mistaken for their steel and constitution," he said.

"Maybe fighting through this might set him up mentally for the rest of his career."

Essendon's other injury concern was Courtney Johns, who hurt a hip, but it's not thought to be serious.

The Bombers expect up to 10 players to return for Friday's game against the Western Bulldogs. They include Scott Lucas, Jobe Watson, Mark McVeigh, Brent Stanton, Andrew Welsh, Alwyn Davey and Dustin Fletcher.

MEANWHILE, Geelong was confident Gary Ablett has not seriously hurt his calf muscle, although a likely MRI scan will reveal the extent of the damage, if any.

Football manager Neil Balme said there were no concerns after the game, meaning Ablett could play this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber doubt for season start

Remove this Banner Ad

Back