AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

A little misleading.

It was mostly because we were in the top four for 9 weeks/top 8 for 14 weeks and we didn't have many injuries. Naturally if you're winning and fit, you're rewarding the side/trying to remain unchanged for consistency and you're not trying to cover injured players compared to other teams. We were also pretty young on raw average age bar Heppell/Goldy/Shiel and thus most of our youth had already had their debut.

The (mostly) selection integrity/dropping players eventually came to the fore a little more in the 2nd half of the year when results and fitness wasn't going our way in the form of Wright/Heppell/Perkins etc; which allowed us to play Caddy more consistently and debut Roberts/keep him there.

So often do people revert to the last 20 years for the Bombers whenever something isn't going amazingly when truth be told we are so far removed from that period that there is no point to use it as a reference. The amount of off-field changes we had to make post 2022, including a new coach which was truly from the outside/wasn't brought in to salvage a club from a saga and lessening off-field drama, meant that we were coming from pretty much the most clean slate than we ever have. Then you factor in that the players we brought in without sacrificing our draft hand (and hence Caddy + this year's picks), meant that they would have needed a year to gel as a team.

As for Perkins, Reid and Cox, I think we've all understood that the 2020 draft was the worst ever (for obvious reasons) and there aren't many picks of that year (even in hindsight) that were much better. Reid's issue has never been talent/ability, it's always been fitness/the need to get his body stronger, with Perkins being the most likely to come good. Hopefully with him being dropped it'll drive him to push himself harder. If we can get at least one of those three to become a consistent role player then that's as much as we could ask for tbh.
We're still in the last 20 years until we prove otherwise, which we haven't at all.

Least the off-season will be exciting
Chill Popcorn GIF

I haven’t cheered, clapped, got excited or angry at a passage of play in about six weeks. I watch Essendon games with emptiness and devoid of emotion nowadays. I love this club, I will always love this club, but I just don’t care right now.
I'm kind of at the same place, but I laugh now when we muck it up.

Have watched the game a couple of times now (other than the last quarter the second time around) .
Although the first half was not great footy from either side we held up pretty well defensively . They got a lot of numbers back and tried to pick through the zone in the first half but we defended it well. If only we had a strong marking FF along with Draper as a FP and a small forward who could crumb. Things may have been different early.
In the end it was three really bad turnovers in around 6 minutes that broke us in the third quarter. We dropped off defensively after that and they got there kick run game going.

Have watched the game a couple of times now (other than the last quarter the second time around) .
Although the first half was not great footy from either side we held up pretty well defensively . They got a lot of numbers back and tried to pick through the zone in the first half but we defended it well. If only we had a strong marking FF along with Draper as a FP and a small forward who could crumb. Things may have been different early.
In the end it was three really bad turnovers in around 6 minutes that broke us in the third quarter. We dropped off defensively after that and they got there kick run game going.
It felt much shitter than that watching it live 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It felt much shitter than that watching it live 😂
I know which is why I like to have another look. It was real Benny Hill stuff in the forward half. I did think we where defending okay until the third quarter when we just handed them 4 goals in a row.

How do we get the right balance in the forward line?

How do we get the right balance in the forward line?
Let Stringer go.
Hope that Alwyn Davey finds a new level.
Pray that Wright can find his 2022 form.
Hope that Kako can make a bit of a instant impact.
Find some replacements.
Caddy plays CHF. Langford plays FP.Gresham has a role if he plays just sall forward.
Perkins maybe plays half forward.

Let Stringer go.
Find some replacements.
Caddy plays CHF. Langford plays FP.Gresham has a role if he plays just sall forward.

One ruckman with 2MP as backup?

Let Stringer go.
Find some replacements.
Where does Jones and Cox fit in? Thought Cox should have been tried forward after he kicked 3 against GC.

But soon as he looked promising, back to the backline where you will be torched. I don't see any role for Cox other than forward. He has failed in every spot, very weak at the contest. Hoping he could have been our Darcy (Dogs) as they have similar builds.

Jones goes missing too much.

Agree with Stringer, 1 good game in 10 is not enough.

Rest Langford this week and if injured get him in for surgery now if needed.

TBH, I would trade delist all of Menzie, Gresham (very disappointing), Guelfi, Hind, all B grade players IMO. Hopefully Davey's, Kako, El-Hawli can fit the bill. How we missed Bobby Hill is beyond me.

With Dodo gone, Rosa needs to bring in durable big bodied runners and Butters like attack on the ball. Our midfield just back to jogging last week.

Rant over, we certainly are not fit enough. Another big preseason needed but get the footy's out early as we are one of the least skilled going around.

Where does Jones and Cox fit in? Thought Cox should have been tried forward after he kicked 3 against GC.

But soon as he looked promising, back to the backline where you will be torched. I don't see any role for Cox other than forward. He has failed in every spot, very weak at the contest. Hoping he could have been our Darcy (Dogs) as they have similar builds.

Jones goes missing too much.

Agree with Stringer, 1 good game in 10 is not enough.

Rest Langford this week and if injured get him in for surgery now if needed.

TBH, I would trade delist all of Menzie, Gresham (very disappointing), Guelfi, Hind, all B grade players IMO. Hopefully Davey's, Kako, El-Hawli can fit the bill. How we missed Bobby Hill is beyond me.

With Dodo gone, Rosa needs to bring in durable big bodied runners and Butters like attack on the ball. Our midfield just back to jogging last week.

Rant over, we certainly are not fit enough. Another big preseason needed but get the footy's out early as we are one of the least skilled going around.
Where do any of them fit in other than Caddy.
Not sure you can blame Gresham for not kicking goals if he spends 15 games playing as an extra midfielder.
But it is all hope.

Redman had a few shocking turnovers early too plus the brainfade. He is one of the worst at defending his opponent. Far too often he was 10 metres away from the contest in no mans land. Very poor year, seems to be one that has gone backwards.

Edit: Kudos to you for being able to stomach the replays like you do. I just can't!!

Where do any of them fit in other than Caddy.
Not sure you can blame Gresham for not kicking goals if he spends 15 games playing as an extra midfielder.
But it is all hope.
Maybe harsh on Gresham. Hopefully doesn't leave the forward 50.

Forward and Defence coaching should be under massive scrutiny.

Re our forward line woes…

Tony Lockett and/or Jason Dunstall would struggle to take a mark in our forward line at the moment.

Why?

For a number of (related) reasons:

- We have zero movement in our forward 50. Absolutely none. Go back and watch that first half again, ant555. Nobody is presenting. Nobody is leading. Nobody’s doing anything. We’ve already got a bunch of marking options down there (Stringer, Draper, Jones, Langford, Caddy) and yet none of them are presenting… ever. There was a moment in the first half that summed up our problems; Merrett marked a rushed Sydney kick out of our forward 50 about 70m out. We’d already pressed forward, so our F50 was clogged. (which I’ll get to in a minute to as well) The TV angle showed basically our entire F50. Merrett stood there for about 5 seconds or so waiting for something… anything… and yet nobody in the F50 even moved… resulting in Merrett having to just bomb it long. Even if 2 or 3 of those guys mentioned above make some kind of unlikely decoy lead that isn’t honoured, they would at the very least drag their direct opponent with them… which would clear some space for a less congested long ball marking contest for a start… or even better, perhaps even open up some space somewhere else for a small forward or mid to drop into as the opposition defence adjusts. But nope. Our entire F50 just stand there like witches hats and allow the opposition to set up around us. Every single ****ing time. And then they all fly for the same contest to make things even better. And then we have no decent smalls to mop up, the opposition clear it, rinse and repeat. We’ve seen it all year.

As I said, Lockett and Dunstall would struggle to do anything in our current forward line the way we’re currently set up and playing.

- Exacerbating the above (obviously) is the fact that our forward press is so extreme (and our forward 50 so flooded as a result) that it’s leaving zero space for any of our targets (Stringer, Draper, Jones, Langford, Caddy etc) to do anything whatsoever. (all the more reason they at least need to be trying to create some space for someone via movement)

- Exacerbating things even further is the fact that our forward line personnel is completely wrong too. If we’re going to play that kind of forward press game, there’s no point having a bunch of taller (and slower - why do you think teams run it out so easily when it hits ground level?) marking options down there with no space to work in. We’ve seen it all year - long bomb forward, big pack fly, ball comes to ground, we’ve got nobody there, opposition clear. Give us one or two key targets, along with a bunch of smaller/faster guys (preferably with skills… which counts out Menzie) who can operate at ground level since that’s inevitably where the ball ends up in such a congested forward line.

- And finally, exacerbating all of the above is the fact that our kicking (particularly going into the F50) is simply ****ing atrocious. Constantly (I’d say more than 50% of the time) kicking over the head of the target and/or to disadvantage. Never lowering the eyes. Never actually kicking to space (even when kicking into an empty-ish F50) and, instead, always kicking directly to a contest. It’s ****ing diabolical… as proven by our inside 50 numbers and then complete lack of hitting the scoreboard.

You guys can talk about trading Stringer, and getting rid of this guy and that guy all you like, but again, Tony Locket and/or Jason Dunstall wouldn’t even solve our problems at the moment.

Tapping needs to go. I seriously can’t see what he’s doing, or what the plan is. There’s also clearly a huge disconnect between the midfield and the forward line. (In fact, it’s as though we’ve completely neglected any kind of forward craft all year…)

And Brad needs to go as well if he can’t see the screamingly obvious ****ing problems.

Re our forward line woes…

Tony Lockett and/or Jason Dunstall would struggle to take a mark in our forward line at the moment.

Why?

For a number of (related) reasons:

- We have zero movement in our forward 50. Absolutely none. Go back and watch that first half again, ant555. Nobody is presenting. Nobody is leading. Nobody’s doing anything. We’ve already got a bunch of marking options down there (Stringer, Draper, Jones, Langford, Caddy) and yet none of them are presenting… ever. There was a moment in the first half that summed up our problems; Merrett marked a rushed Sydney kick out of our forward 50 about 70m out. We’d already pressed forward, so our F50 was clogged. (which I’ll get to in a minute to as well) The TV angle showed basically our entire F50. Merrett stood there for about 5 seconds or so waiting for something… anything… and yet nobody in the F50 even moved… resulting in Merrett having to just bomb it long. Even if 2 or 3 of those guys mentioned above make some kind of unlikely decoy lead that isn’t honoured, they would at the very least drag their direct opponent with them… which would clear some space for a less congested long ball marking contest for a start… or even better, perhaps even open up some space somewhere else for a small forward or mid to drop into as the opposition defence adjusts. But nope. Our entire F50 just stand there like witches hats and allow the opposition to set up around us. Every single ****ing time. And then they all fly for the same contest to make things even better. And then we have no decent smalls to mop up, the opposition clear it, rinse and repeat. We’ve seen it all year.

As I said, Lockett and Dunstall would struggle to do anything in our current forward line the way we’re currently set up and playing.

- Exacerbating the above (obviously) is the fact that our forward press is so extreme (and our forward 50 so flooded as a result) that it’s leaving zero space for any of our targets (Stringer, Draper, Jones, Langford, Caddy etc) to do anything whatsoever. (all the more reason they at least need to be trying to create some space for someone via movement)

- Exacerbating things even further is the fact that our forward line personnel is completely wrong too. If we’re going to play that kind of forward press game, there’s no point having a bunch of taller (and slower - why do you think teams run it out so easily when it hits ground level?) marking options down there with no space to work in. We’ve seen it all year - long bomb forward, big pack fly, ball comes to ground, we’ve got nobody there, opposition clear. Give us one or two key targets, along with a bunch of smaller/faster guys (preferably with skills… which counts out Menzie) who can operate at ground level since that’s inevitably where the ball ends up in such a congested forward line.

- And finally, exacerbating all of the above is the fact that our kicking (particularly going into the F50) is simply ****ing atrocious. Constantly (I’d say more than 50% of the time) kicking over the head of the target and/or to disadvantage. Never lowering the eyes. Never actually kicking to space (even when kicking into an empty-ish F50) and, instead, always kicking directly to a contest. It’s ****ing diabolical… as proven by our inside 50 numbers and then complete lack of hitting the scoreboard.

You guys can talk about trading Stringer, and getting rid of this guy and that guy all you like, but again, Tony Locket and/or Jason Dunstall wouldn’t even solve our problems at the moment.

Tapping needs to go. I seriously can’t see what he’s doing, or what the plan is. There’s also clearly a huge disconnect between the midfield and the forward line. (In fact, it’s as though we’ve completely neglected any kind of forward craft all year…)

And Brad needs to go as well if he can’t see the screamingly obvious ****ing problems.
Well lets see. No one leading . Well **** me I do not have to go back and watch again. I know they do not lead which is part of the bloody problem and when they do they can not mark.
Dunstall and Lockett would fix the problem as they would lead and they can mark and they would mow down anyone standing in the lane.
Stringer and Langford are not marking targets.

And you contradict yourself. is the forward personal wrong or is it the forward coach ?
I am 2000% sure that the message to the forwards is not stand around and wave your arms .
The simple fact is we have one good KPF and that is Caddy. Stringer and Langford are medium forwards being used as KP forwards. We have a bunch of slow small forwards.
And to top it off the forward press has worked for us this year. It has been execution that has ****ed us and not just execution as far as finding a target inside 50 but also kicking points like kicking 1.9 in a quarter. We rank 4th in the comp for inside 50 but 17th for goals inside 50

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Season done, thanks Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back