Bomber's list improvement suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

willydave

All Australian
Oct 25, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Thread title should read Bombers' list improvement suggestions. Not sure how to edit thread title.

My five step list management plan for Essendon to improve over the next 2-3 years.

For Bombers supporters this is probably stating the obvious, but I felt Hird inherited a fairly ordinary list and had them playing like men possessed. They have come back to earth with a big thud and it is time to clear some of the cloggers.

I will preface this by saying I haven't researched contract situations in regard to players below.

1. Cut Mark McVeigh. Needs little explanation really, but will go down as one of the least damaging players to run out on an AFL field. If lucky, a team may be stupid enough to give you a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Must be a really good bloke to have hung on for this long.

2. Cut Dustin Fletcher. What an out and out champion this man has been. But surely 2011 is his last year. Time to retire him and give more responsibility to your quality young backs in Pears and Hooker. Spend the summer with David Myers only kicking on his right. Dustin to stay on as a defensive coach/mentor to work in conjunction with Wellman.

3. Trade Patrick Ryder. This guy has a pea heart and has the potential to pass this on to your younger and more impressionable crew. Bellchambers has shown remarkable improvement this year and his hunger to present, mark and contest has put Paddy to shame. Would have trade value.

4. Trade/delist David Hille. Always hoped for a lot with this guy but at 30 years old and slowing to a walk it may be time to show him the door. His fitness and endeavor looked horrible last night so I won't judge him on that alone. But he hasn't shown his best for three years and its time to bite the bullet.

5. Make a massive play for Jackson Trengove. Wants to come home and has been linked to Richmond. Bombers will need to bolster ruck stocks and will possibly need to spend some speculative picks in the draft on some developing rucks. Bellchambers has shown he can rest forward, so you would be more than capable of playing Trengove and Bellchambers in the same 22.

Will add that by removing these four will open a huge amount of cap space. Could attract a superstar forward or midfielder or two with this extra space. Good spot to be in with free agency around the corner. Frontload contracts for young guns like Heppell and build torwards a challenge in 2014-2015.

The bombers need to forget about high end trading and hit a few drafts hard.

Essendon are going to need more than one draft to make things right. There's not enough talent in the forward line and too many down hill skiers around the midfield. The problems with Gumbleton haven't helped them either.

Draft well, and looks for fringe bargains from other clubs.

Bit drunk last night but still remember bits of the game.

Trade Ryder/Prismall to GWS/another club, get a few draft picks.
McVeigh and Fletcher retire.
Delist Slattery, Welsh and Quinn.

With traded picks, give thems 3/4 1st round picks, 2 2nd round, 2 3rd, 1 4th (just guesstimating)
Use the early rounds on 18/19 y.o who will develop, use the rest including rookie draft on mature age players from the VFL/WAFL. The Bombers have got great service out of this, from Howlett, Crameri, Hibberd and Hardingham.

They have a great strong core, with Zaharakis probably the most underrated youngster in the league imo, Heppell, Crameri, Hocking, Watson, Hurley, Bellchambers, Hooker, Pears and Jetta all quality or will be quality.

Build around that with players who can improve or have shown something in Reimers, Winderlich, Howlett, Lonergan, Dempsey, Hille and Gumbleton.

The last 4 or so spots can be fought out between the gun draftees and a couple of other seniors. Gumbleton, Hille, Winderlich and the youngsters would be the players who are on notice.

Don't think it's that bad down at Bomberland, 3 to 4 new guns to replace some of the deadwood, a couple of more pre seasons under Thompson to learn his coaching style and they will be quality. Short term (1-3 years) pain for long term gain

(Bit more effort

I think they are in the perfect position to bolster there midfield via the draft because they have excess KPP's. In my opinion I think they should:

1. Trade Ryder to GWS for there 17yr old mini draft pick 1 and pick up Jager Omera or Chad Wingard. Both will be top 5 picks next year in a strong draft and would give there midfield some star quality in a few years.

2. See how Gumbleton goes this year but if he is no good then trade him on. Would still have some currency due to his potential and then use that pick for another mid.

3. Delist/Retire...Hille, McVeigh, Welsh and Fletcher. Losing FLetcher and the others may cause some short term pain but in the long term it will help the development.

They do get Daniher next year I believe who is meant to be an absolute star KPF so adding him and Omera would be golden.

All of a suddent they have some serious talent running around instead of these old list cloggers.

My suggestion is they have patience. Yes they have a little bit of dead wood that needs pruning but they do have some great young key position players and some good medium sized forwards like Jetta & Zaharakis so it's far from bleak.

Their midfield needs to develop a bit of depth but that's the easiest part of recruiting is finding midfielders.

They'll be ok.

Hird needs to, and I think will, make some hard decisions at year end. The way I would look at the list is move on the weak of mind and weak of body players and get as much you can for them in trade week. Not that you can successfully trade out 6+ players but you do and get what you can. Those on the trade table:

1. Gumbelton (weak body) - try and get a 2nd rounder for him.
  2. Ryder (mentally weak) - Sheedy and GWS would get them a 1st rounder at least
  3. Stanton - Bomber fans jeer him and IMO he will want out, a late 1st rounder minimum
  4. Alwin Davey (weak body) - is in and out and you wonder if he will even be there when they next challenge. 3rd rounder maybe
  5. Hille (weak body) - has had knee issues but would still have some trade value, Bellchambers looks good.
  6. Fletcher should retire, no benefit to the side long term for him to keep a young developing player out of the side. Champion of the club.:thumbsu:
I'd be talking to Sheedy and GWS with a Ryder plus Stanton package to get a decent pick plus a crack at the best U17 year old. Jetta is close to Ryder and possibly would put his hand up to move together.

Bombers could end up with 3 first round picks, an U17 gun and a 1st compo pick banked for next season which could end up being a top 7 pick in 2012.

That would result in 5 first round selections plus a U17 gun within 2 drafts / years.

There are others amoungst the list that are simply delist material with little trade value.

Ryder is the tough call. Fletcher has played 2 down games and considering what his norm is, im waiting til years end to make that call.
But Ryder, could be an absolute star. Im convinced though he isnt able to play well in the same squad as hille anymore.

we arent going to get a decent trade though.
I like the idea of Morton and Pearce if we can get them. Both have good run in their legs and give us that extra Stanton-type mid we lack.

KPP
keepers - Pears, Hooker, Hurley, Ryder, Bellchambers
yet to see this year : Gumbleton, Steinberg, Danniher
medium size keepers : Hardingham, Crameri.

Midfield
Bulls : Watson, Lonergan, Hocking. All starters
Class : Stanton, Heppell. very lacking
Pace : Jetta, Zaharakis, Winderlich, Dempsey. 2 injuries have hurt us for depth here and i'd love Danyle Pearce to cover it
Periphery : Melksham, Howlett, Hibberd. Really like all three. Not gonna be A graders, but they are the ones when you look to the bottom 6 and you want to see them there.

Rucks
#1 - Ryder. Needs his spot back
#2 - Bellchambers. Best ruck we have up forward in terms of target and the way he presents.
#3 - Hille. lacks the speed and forward presence we need. Trade him and we are short for depth. But he no longer ranks up there. A shame cos he was close to the leagues best ruck recently

End of the line:
McVeigh, Welsh, NLM, Davey, Williams, Neagle.
First 4 play but dont provide us anything.
The last two, if they arent getting into a squad with serious fwd line issues there must be something wrong

Jury is out
Prismall: Needs the time in the middle and looks to have the composure under pressure, but really has not fulfilled expectation
Reimers : We know the talent is there, and the arrogance isnt a major problem if he had the output to back it up. Considering the lack of forward structure we have, if he isnt making it at the moment there must be a question mark
Slattery: been a solid BP player for a while now. But Hibberd and Hardingham have really taken his spot. Possible re-invention to FP? seen him play there once and his defensive skills plus very decent kick could be handy.
Monfries: Much Slattery, not accountable enough in the middle and not doing the role up forward. In his case though, there is no pressure on his spot.
Colyer: Good running small and doesnt baulk from a contest, but has not pushed into a squad missing speed. Again, ?

Sum it all up, we are probably one smart draft away (see 2005) from addressing a couple of missing links.
Pace and class in the middle and a dangerous small forward.
Throw an Isaac Smith, Shane Savage and Rioli into our lineup and we;ll start to look a lot better.

Hille doesn't have the currency to get a worthwhile trade. You are better off getting rid of Ryder and replacing him with a young ruck (Bombers list has a few if IRC).

Not much advice beyond that except focus on youth and drafting.

Would have a go at Gumbleton. Second round pick would be my offer though. He'd do well at a club like us I reckon. Plenty of forward talent to work around, but plenty of young players to grow with. Worth the risk despite his terrible body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be discarding many of the 23-and-unders unless offered a trade that's too good to refuse. They'll listen to Hird and give their all. Of the others, Watson, Stanton and Winderlich (contracted) are the only definite keeps. Monfries & Lonergan - probably keep. Hille - question marks. Fletcher - needs to be handled respectfully. Prismall - borderline. The others have to be on shaky ground.

Don't know how much cap space we will free up by getting rid of McVeigh and Fletcher as they are outside the playing list and hill may be aswell. Also think that McVeigh and hille are contracted for next year so we will loose cap space for a year.

Getting rid of both Hille and Ryder leaves us with only one genuine ruck on the list even if we have Jenkins as a rookie. If we do ad you say and get Trengove it will be to replace Fletcher when he goes. Yes he can pinch hit in the ruck but if Belly went down Trengove in the ruck all day wouldn't be to good.

What essenson really need is 2 midfielders who can actually use the ball and deliver it inside 50. We so need some outside pace as since Lovett left and with winderlich and dempsy going down we look really slow.

We should get rid of some the players mentioned but not till their contracts are over. We have plenty of others we can get rid of.

What essenson really need is 2 midfielders who can actually use the ball and deliver it inside 50. We so need some outside pace as since Lovett left and with winderlich and dempsy going down we look really slow.

f.

Scary Part is Watson has given his other hammy a twinge and from what ive seen over the years players who do both can (not a sure thing but 50/50 chance) of being prone to having trouble for the rest of their carreers

Can't get rid of both Hille and Ryder. Both when playing first ruck then resting forward are awesome. But they are not Forwards who can Ruck.

I say delist/trade Hille (God that pains me to say it)

Ryder needs a kick up the ***

Pretty easy to see that Essendon needs more outside run and skill in their midfield and another good target in the forward line to do well at the G, think they've lost 10 in a row there now or there abouts.

If Essendon can get a top 5 pick for Ryder for GWS they should jump all over that I reckon. They've got some decent KPP's in Carlisle and Steinberg developing in the 2's, and they're not likely to get that sort of trade value for Gumbleton.

Ryder to me looks more and more like a CHB everytime I see him, playing up forward and pinch hitting in the ruck hasn't really worked under the press this season.

Also too one paced in the middle, with Watson, Hocking, Lonergan, Prismall etc. going through there. They've got some outside pace in Dempsey and Winderlich that they've lost, although Dempsey's an unaccountable defender and Winderlich's pretty inconsistent. They should be getting games into Travis Colyer as much as possible I reckon.

McVeigh reminds a lot of Stevie Baker also in terms of where both their careers are at now.

Turn the list over.

Unlike last year............

Players turned over by club....(both lists, excludes delisted players redrafted)

Adelaide 9
Brisbane 8
Carlton 11
Collingwood 14
Essendon 8
Fremantle 8
Geelong 8
Hawthorn 11
Melbourne 10
North Melbourne 8
Port 9
Richmond 7
StKilda 9
Sydney 6
West Coast 7
Western Bulldogs 11

Wasting two rookie spots on Slattery and Neagle , and a a senior spot on Welsh and Prismall was a mistake they cant afford to repeat next year.

Wasting two rookie spots on Slattery and Neagle , and a a senior spot on Welsh and Prismall was a mistake they cant afford to repeat next year.

I think Prismall needs a chance first, and with Watson out again and Lonergan gone for the season, now is his time to stamp his name on to the starting 22 sheet.

But agree generally there. Neagle and Tyson were silly moves.
Neagle was never gonna get a shot ahead of the rucks, Hurley, Gumbleton or even Williams & Danniher for that matter. Add Crameri and he has become 8th option for a KPF.

Despite Hird's comments on radio yesterday, i believe we will see the end of a few careers rd 23.
Trade-wise, we cant afford to give up the picks and its still too early to make calls on who to trade.
With our forward line, we cant afford to give up on Gumbleton, Ryder could very quickly turn the corner and become an elite ruck rover. We know the talent is there. Prime example is Wells. It would be like North giving him up last season just to see him come good.

It will be players with pressure on their spot that arent crucial to us that will be in the gun come trade time.
Monfries is one who is a great player but given his currency and the fact Crameri has stepped into his spot, i could see him put on the table to the SA clubs. Particularly Port for Pearce.

Hille is another one. We need him for depth, but he would be just the ruckman GWS would go for to ensure they are ready to compete. If we can get another young ruckman in for him, the option is there. And i cant see Hille playing third fiddle to Bellchambers and Ryder.

What we really need to do is work out getting the forward line to function and then find some running midfielders to break the lines.
Zaharakis and Jetta have started this. They just need some chop out with depth. Winderlich and Dempsey are handy as well, but are suspect to re-injury now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber's list improvement suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back