Bontempelli is the new Kouta

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredible to think he hasn't won a Brownlow and likely won't win it again this season despite being imo the best player in the comp, Cripps the clear favourite from being a bit more consistent this year. The most complete player in the comp and simply a joy to watch when he's on song. His 2016 campaign and that Prelim vs GWS inspired me to play footy again after 5 years off. Love the Bont.

I'll be honest: I'm really not too sure how anyone could argue that Bontempelli didn't go past Kouta quite a few years ago. And Bont's probably got another 4-5 years left after this one.

1-2 in his prime though. If he doesn’t win a Brownlow this season I don’t think he ever will.

Should have one imo, meanwhile Neale almost got 3 and a contender for this year, riddle me that.

The Brownlow is a legacy piece and never a great indication for the best player in a given year. To tell the truth, the Players' MVP is probably the most accurate in deciding the best. And I'm fairly confident Bont will win it before, I'd say his standing as the game's best player is just as solidified now as it was in 2021.

It's a shame that Bont will probably never win a Brownlow, because a decade from now lesser players may well be perceived as greater because they may have won multiple. That's no real slight on Neale and Cripps - they're probably Hall of Famers in their own right.

Neale has more disposals, clearances, marks, goal assists and tackles than Bontempelli. He is the reason why we have won ten in a row.
Neale isn’t better. Neale is a star and is clearly more accomplished as an individual but nobody will ever actually think he’s better.

Neale has more disposals, clearances, marks, goal assists and tackles than Bontempelli. He is the reason why we have won ten in a row.

You don’t think him being 1 vote off having 3 Brownlows (potentially another this year) isn’t a little ridiculous? Many greater players haven’t gotten that close.

The 2023 Brownlow didn’t even come with an AA. The way he plays gets votes for some reason but I don’t think he has the impact Bont has.

Having said all that, I think in time Neale will be remembered as better because of the medals despite being the inferior player to Bont. Especially if Neale gets a flag.

And Bont has kicked 3 times as many goals, gets way more score involvements, is far far better defensively and tbh he's just a far better player full stop.

If you asked every coach in the league who they'd prefer I don't reckon 1 outside of Fagan would pick Neale. Bonts a once in a generation type player, Neale is not.

And Bont has kicked 3 times as many goals, gets way more score involvements, is far far better defensively and tbh he's just a far better player full stop.

If you asked every coach in the league who they'd prefer I don't reckon 1 outside of Fagan would pick Neale. Bonts a once in a generation type player, Neale is not.
I reckon even Fagan would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably, but listening to Lions fans they genuinely reckon Neale is the best player of this generation so who the hell knows with that lot.
Queensland can be quite the echo chamber.

To be serious though, I reckon most fans can put the nuffie aside in a serious discussion and can recognise that some players are just better than their own. At a guess, I'd say most Lions fans are realists and can see that as great as Neale is, there's probably a couple of players just ahead of him.

You might want to check your stats again buddy. Bont actually has way more tackles (and goal assists) than Neale. 45 more tackles in fact (5.5 vs 3.4).

Bont is so much more damaging with the ball it isn't even close. He's kicked 19 more goals (1.4 vs 0.5), 38 more score involvements (8.2 vs 6.6) and averages 90 more meters gained per game than Neale. Bont has also taken 16 contested marks to Neale's 2, and 18 marks i50 to Neale's 7.

So not only is Bont way more damaging than Neale but he's also tougher around the ball with more tackles, contested possessions, centre clearances and one percenters. Here's an amazing stat for you, Bont has 81 one percenters vs 9 for Neale (4 vs 0.5).

Attachments

• BontVsNeale1.jpg
    BontVsNeale1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 25
  • BontVsNeale2.jpg
    BontVsNeale2.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 25
  • BontVsNeale3.jpg
    BontVsNeale3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 25
Got this off X.

If Bontempelli gets 16 more coaches votes this season, it'll be the fourth time he will have 100+ coaches votes in a season. No other player has done it more than twice (Ablett and Dangerfield).

There's a * against it as players are playing one more game now with Gather Round, but 2 of his triple digit seasons were prior to the change.

He's never had less than 34 votes in a season.

That's the point I was going to make. Defensively, Bont is so underrated.

I think if you stack his footywire year up against Cripps/Daicos/Neale/Heeney, Bont will look pretty good. I don't think he'll win the brownlow for the same reason he won't win the AFLCA. His 3vote/10 vote games deserve 4/15, & they're just generally better than 3 vote games from the others. But he doesn't do them as often.

I think he'll win his 3rd MVP & Cripps is the only danger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bontempelli is the new Kouta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back