Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Box Hill Hawks vs Casey Scorpions - Sunday, 15 April, 2007

I'll be doing the double-header of Teac oval on Saturday, and the Stangers' first home match against the Coburg Tigers on Anzac Day. Interestingly, Al Neville who performed so well for us under Andy Collins, and then went with him over to the tiges, is in hot form. He was invited to do a pre-season with the Sainters, but was unfortunately unsuccessful in getting drafted. Hope there's still a chance for him this year. The borough nearly caused a boil-over at Willy last weekend, so I'd say this will be a cauldren of intensity on Saturday.

Box Hill Hawks vs Port Melbourne, Saturday at TEAC Oval

Port will be looking to physically impose themselves on the game. They have a lot of tall and strong recruits...including one P. Jolley.
It would be great to see as many people down at TEAC Oval, regardless of it being a TV game. The seniors' match starts at 1:10, and given there is no Hawthorn game on in Victoria, there should be no reason as to why there isn't a big contingent of brown and gold down at Port Melbourne.

Weekly report: Box Hill vs Casey

http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/

Following their bye in the first round the Box Hill Hawks certainly looked out of match practice as they suffered a devastating 129 point defeat at the hands of the Casey Scorpions in their opening game of the season on Sunday.

Coming of a 45 point defeat last week to North Ballarat the Scorpions lead all day and put on an inspired performance to turn their fortunes around at Casey Fields.

Casey looked very dangerous early and had all the play, penetrating their forward 50 relentlessly to score the first six goals of the match.

The Hawks were chasing tails from the outset as it appeared their minds were not on the task at hand.

Indicative of the Hawks day, Steven Daniher squandered a golden chance to get the Hawks off the mark at the end of the first term as he missed running into an open goal.

Shane Birss was a standout for the Scorpions and he led their continued surge in the second term as they kicked their seventh unanswered goal.

The Hawks took until the seventh minute mark of the second to score their first goal through Matthew Little.

The Scorpions had opened up a 63 point lead midway through the second quarter as the Hawks were paying dearly with a number of costly turnovers.

Matthew Little lead a mini-resurgence for Box Hill just before half time as he kicked two goals in quick succession including a long goal from 55m out.

As a result the team went into the half time break with a small glimmer of hope.

Any thought of a comeback for Box Hill was quashed soon after the main break as the Scorpions piled on five of the first six goals.

The Hawks continued in the same vein in which they played the first half playing an inefficient brand of football.

In contrast Casey provided their forwards with quality service, swarmed forward in numbers, and put the Hawks under immense pressure.

“Crowd favourite” Justin Sweeney reaped the rewards of the fine delivery to the forward line and provided a focal point up forward for Casey all day.

Matthew Little slotted his fourth at the end of the quarter but the Scorpions still managed to take an 86 point lead into the break.

In his three-quarter-time address Box Hill coach Damien Christensen accused his players of “accepting” the result.

Christensen implored his players to ‘take action and show some aggression towards [their] direct opponents’.

However, his words fell on deaf ears as the trend continued.

Apart from a Sam Gibson goal on the run the Hawks were outscored eight goals to one in the final term to round of a disappointing display.

Overall, what hurt the Hawks most was their inability to penetrate the forward 50 zone with any real vigour.

They struggled to find a winner in the midfield all day and were starved of any meaningful possession for the majority of the contest.

Matthew Little was one of the few shining lights for the Hawks, he scored four good goals and presented well with limited opportunities coming his way.

Richard Eva provided good run off half back and Beau Muston staked his claim for a spot in the Hawthorn lineup with a solid 20 possession performance.

Josh Thurgood manned the dangerous Brett Voss up forward all day and kept him relatively quiet considering the amount of forward 50 entries the Scorpions boasted.

In reality though, the Hawks were comprehensively outplayed and will need to regroup quickly if they are to reverse the result against Port Melbourne next week.

Casey Scorpions: 5.4 / 12.8 / 20.9 / 28.13 (181)
Box Hill Hawks: 0.4 / 3.7 / 6.7 / 7.10 (52)

Goals: Little 4, Gibson, Holmes, Smith

Best: Little, Ball, Eva, Muston, Thurgood

VFL RESERVES - ROUND TWO

The Box Hill Hawks continued their impressive start to the season on the back of their premiership winning year in 2006 recording a resounding 55 point win over Casey Scorpions on Sunday.

Box Hill, coming off a 45 point demolition of Sandringham last week broke the game open with an impressive second half.

After taking a seven point lead into the main break the Hawks kicked the first five majors of the third term to open up a match winning 37 point lead.

The Hawks shared the ball well and ran over the top of a scrappy Scorpions outfit to take a 32 point lead into three quarter time.

Kurt Batt put the result beyond any doubt when he took a tremendous mark running back with the flight early in the fourth term, goaling from the resultant kick.

The Scorpions seemed to battle with the strong breeze blowing across the ground lacking rhythm in their play and finding very few targets up forward.

In contrast the Hawks were simply too powerful up forward with a bevy of tall marking options; Kurt Batt and Darren Bradshaw in particular proving a handful for the Scorpions’ defence.

The Hawks scored 10 of the 12 goals kicked in the second half led by a four goal performance from Luke Barker.

Barker also racked up 29 disposals and took nine marks in best on ground display.

The Hawks will certainly be looking forward to their clash at Port Melbounre next week and again look a genuine contender to take home the Premiership cup.

Casey Scorpions: 7.11 / 8.13 / 9.16 (70)
Box Hill Hawks: 9.6 / 14.9 / 19.11 (125)

Goals: 4, Batt 4, Bradshaw 2, Coombes 2, Pedersen 2, Shore 2

Best: Barker, Kelleher, Seehusen, Kennedy, Buchanan, O’Sullivan

Re: Box Hill Hawks vs Port Melbourne, Saturday at TEAC Oval

i'll be watching on the abc, the teams are:

b: Murphy, Dawson, Height
hb:Thurgood, Dowler, Buchanon
c: King, Ball, Eva
hf: Gibson, N.Smith, Muston
f: Holmes, Little, Morton
r: Renouf, Kennedy, McGlynn
int: Markovic, Bull, Hill, Allan, Daniher, McEntee, Pollett, Barker(4 to be omitted)

we have a crap forward line, we need cook back to give us something other than little............

Leaving to catch the 109 Box Hill to Port Melbourne tram in 5 mins. Carna Stangas!

Muston has three goals to half time playing up forward. Pretty scrappy game with plenty of turnovers....probably due to the weather.

Lost the game in the premiership 3rd qtr, however never stopped their endeavour, and I think they were only outscored by a goal in the last. Christo's biggest problem IMO is that he is still coaching 2 sides. HFC players look for each other 99 if not 100% of the time. Dismal, if not totally unacceptable observation. Still no Cook(susp), Height must either heighten his standards, or take a walk interstate or back to the EFL. His examples are not leadership material, maybe back in the neanderthul days of the 70s they would have been. Bally is clawing his way back to match conditioning. Gibbo was great, but also looked for the HFC listed players too much. Once again I'll say their endeavour in refreshingly wet and slippery conditions was unquestionable, but I would think that next Wednesday, their first home match of the season, against Andy Collins' Tigers cannot come round quick enough. HFC listed players: No surprise to say that Murphs acquitted himself exceptionally well. Big Zac, I thought had a very good game, in all facets of a defender's game. Renouf should be at HFC now! Thurgood was aguably the best performed HFC player, until (dare I say it?) what seemed to be an injury. Little presented relentlessly to woeful delivery. What's the guy supposed to do? No TUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? What most people have been waiting for, Kennedy and Muston were superb.:cool:

Lost the game in the premiership 3rd qtr, however never stopped their endeavour, and I think they were only outscored by a goal in the last. Christo's biggest problem IMO is that he is still coaching 2 sides. HFC players look for each other 99 if not 100% of the time. Dismal, if not totally unacceptable observation. Still no Cook(susp), Height must either heighten his standards, or take a walk interstate or back to the EFL. His examples are not leadership material, maybe back in the neanderthul days of the 70s they would have been. Bally is clawing his way back to match conditioning. Gibbo was great, but also looked for the HFC listed players too much. Once again I'll say their endeavour in refreshingly wet and slippery conditions was unquestionable, but I would think that next Wednesday, their first home match of the season, against Andy Collins' Tigers cannot come round quick enough. HFC listed players: No surprise to say that Murphs acquitted himself exceptionally well. Big Zac, I thought had a very good game, in all facets of a defender's game. Renouf should be at HFC now! Thurgood was aguably the best performed HFC player, until (dare I say it?) what seemed to be an injury. Little presented relentlessly to woeful delivery. What's the guy supposed to do? No TUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????? What most people have been waiting for, Kennedy and Muston were superb.:cool:

Good report GNC :thumbsu:

I heard on the radio whilst driving home from the Dome that Zac was B.O.G! 3AW around 6.30pm VFL report. Sorry, didnt get the name of the person providing the report.

Tucky hasn't trained with the main group for at least 2 weeks. He denies he is injured but trains with the rehab group and doesnt play on the weekend?

Definitely a poor 3rd quarter. We had a reasonable-enough start, but faded when the pressure was really applied. And I do think that we are still a light side, lacking in physicality.
But I still believe that we've improved from last year, even if only in that intangible area of experience.
Coburg on ANZAC should be a huge match. Big crowd expected, unveiling of the new gates, special day. All points to a big performance from the Hawks to pull in an upset in their first home match of the season.
Well, fingers crossed anyway;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good report GNC :thumbsu:

I heard on the radio whilst driving home from the Dome that Zac was B.O.G! 3AW around 6.30pm VFL report. )"

I thought Kennedy was the best of our players with a 4 quarter sustained effor. He has very clean hands and therefore is a "one grabber". He showed good pace, vision and coolness in close, as well as good foot skills.

His body size might have given him an edge in the wet slippery conditions yesterday and it will be interesting to observe him in dry conditions which would give smaller bodied players more stability on the ground.

But it was a very exciting performance.

I was rapt in Muston. He is a gun. After quarter time he was heavily tagged and as the conditions worsned it made the taggers job so much easier. I also thought the umpires allowed blocking, holding and pushing on Muston which were pinged on other players, albeit not consistently so.

Muston is everything he has been written up as being. Second half 2007 and beyond will see another good'en come on for the Hawks.

Dowler copped a bad wack to the head and it was not a day for marking forwards due to both the conditions and woeful use of the ball by Bokky players. But this was the best Dowler has performed to date. He has that "something" the really good players have. There was one passage where he chased down a loose ball, was under pressure throughout but collected the ball, made space for himself and made a clever kick inboard to Little to have a kick on goal. It was cool intelligent skilful play. Despite the observations of one person to the contrary from the inner sanctum at Hawthorn ( and RustyHawk knows to whom I refer ) Dowler showed courage, tenacity and was hard at it.

Dowler will be a fine player as he develops overall body strength and particularly his lost core strength since the broken pelvis.

Dawson was not helped by the lack of accountability from team mate further upfield and was caught on occassions trying to cover two opposition forwards. But he was still a good player on the day.

Can't see a future for Little. He seems to be a one trick pony to me. Mark and kick and not too much else to his game.

Murphy got a fair bit of it but turned it over a lot. Maybe just one of those days.

Thurgood was quite serviceable until he did his shoulder..again.

McEntee and Renouf were good contributors and the grab and goal by Renouf for the first of the day showed he has the ability. He is something to look forward to later this year and next after another good pre season.

My observations for what they are worth.

Look, i follow Box Hill but not Hawthorn, and i have to say i was really impressed with Muston. He was vocal on the ground, and gave Tommy Pollett (Box Hill listed player) a big rap when he smothered a ball. Happy to have players with that attitude playing with us at Box Hill.

Need Cook back, Hunter would be a big plus, King needs some form, missed a sitter in the 2's in the last term that would've made the game winnable, and Nick Smith needs a bit of dry weather to show us what he's got.

Also, bring back the GOOCH! He must be injured cos i didn't see him in the 2's, but it's about time he got some senior game time to gain some confidence.

It's weird playing again in a few days!

Check out photos etc. at http://boxhillfc.vox.com
Looking forward

By the way stadium king, how'd you come to follow west coast and box hill? Seems like a strange double. And GNCLongJack, you follow Box Hill AND Port Melbourne, who'd you follow on the weekend?

Ugly result really but our side was definitely undersized in terms of maturity against guys like Spriggs, Livingston, Fanning and co.

We'll be a much better outfit when we can get King, Hunter, Cook, Marguccio and Bradshaw into the team.

Re: Box Hill vs Coburb - Who's going?

Most definitely I'll be there. Should be a great crowd and atmosphere, and hopefully the boys can put on a show to match this.
First home game of the year, looking for that first win of the season, unveiling of the new gates, ANZAC Day special occaision, looking to upset a strong Coburg team.
Bring it on!

Box Hill Hawks vs Coburg Tigers ANZAC Day Clash @ BH City Oval

www.boxhillhawks.com.au
ANZAC DAY CUP - Match Preview Tuesday, April 24, 2007

By Tom Kelly

The Box Hill Hawks and the Coburg Tigers will kick off Round Four with their blockbuster ANZAC Day clash.

The two teams will be the focus of the VFL as the new gates at Box Hill City Oval are unveiled before the match.

Box Hill suffered yet another disappointing loss last week to a much-improved Port Melbourne side. The Hawks went down 10.8.68 to 15.17.107, and remain winless this season.

Despite a strong start, the players were overrun after quarter-time and struggled with the wet conditions and strong bodies of their Port opponents.

Positives from the match included the good form up forward of Beau Muston (three goals), and his Hawthorn team-mates Josh Kennedy and Zac Dawson.

All three will be putting pressure on the players who beat Geelong at Aurora Stadium on Sunday to hold their positions; however Hawthorn will not be looking to field a tall team against the quick-paced Western Bulldogs.

Meanwhile, the Coburg Tigers easily accounted for Werribee at Bartercard Oval, scoring a 61-point win, 19.8.122 to 9.7.61.

It will be important for Box Hill to hold down Coburg’s key players if they are to compete for the points on Wednesday. Cleve Hughes was dominant in the forward line with five goals, whilst former Hawk Alister Neville continued his sensational form this year with a best-on-ground performance.

The Tigers currently sit fifth on the ladder with two wins and one loss.

The last time the two sides met, Coburg defeated Box Hill by 46 points in their Round 11 match, 8.13.61 to 15.17.107 at Box Hill City Oval. A win for the Hawks against Coburg has proved elusive, with the Tigers also running out 54-point winners in their 2006 ANZAC Day clash at Coburg City Oval.

The Hawks will be looking for a huge crowd to support them in their first home game for the season. The opening of the new gates is around 12pm in preparation for a 2pm start to the match, so bring the family down to Box Hill City Oval and throw your support behind the brown and gold.

Re: Box Hill vs Coburb - Who's going?

I'll be there.

I can't wait to see the DAWKETTES get another ANZAC day hiding.:D

I will have full Coburg gear on, so come and say hello.

I might even buy you a beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back