Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Box Hill Hawks vs Bendigo Bombers, Monday Jun 11, QE Oval

Thorp named, finger injury maybe not too serious.

No Jason Cook, Batt to step up?

Box Hill Hawks:
B: Height, Dawson, N. Smith.
HB: Bull, Dowler, Tuck.
C: Ellis, Ball, Gibson.
HF: Thorp, Shore, Murphy.
F: Muston, Little, Thurgood.
R: RenouF: Kennedy, Moss.

Int: Kelleher, Holmes, Breese, McEntee, Eva, Johnson, Batt, Daniher

Thorp named, finger injury maybe not too serious.

No Jason Cook, Batt to step up?

Box Hill Hawks:
B: Height, Dawson, N. Smith.
HB: Bull, Dowler, Tuck.
C: Ellis, Ball, Gibson.
HF: Thorp, Shore, Murphy.
F: Muston, Little, Thurgood.
R: RenouF: Kennedy, Moss.

Int: Kelleher, Holmes, Breese, McEntee, Eva, Johnson, Batt, Daniher

I hope Dowler carves up at CHB!

14 goals to 4 in the second half isn't too flash at all. Quite disappointing that they must have crumbled after being 2 points down at half time.

Saw the game. Thorpe started well, but needs a few more runs under his belt. Renouf impressed in patches and will be able to play forward or back as well as the ruck. Couldn't understand at stages that they had Renouf and McEntee playing on the wing. Quite amazing to say the least. Seen Little a few times now and will unfortuantely not be give the chance to make the next step. He is a pretty stock standard forward with no tricks in his bag. Muston IMO was very good. Reminds me of Dipper a bit in the way he goes about it. A lot to like about the kid. Kennedy too slow and have real reservations about his ability to step up. Murphy good, Dawson was also good. Dowler did some good things but looks like he lacks confidence. Thurgood played up forward for three quarters. Did well early but lacked a bit of confidence with his kicking. Was moved up back in the last quarter but was over run by the avalanche of goals. Gibson was fair.

In the Reserves game Collins played half quarters and would have picked up 12-14. Suckling was excellent and easily best... probably had 25-30 possesions.

Ground surface was terrible and affected play.

Was at the game and got a different view. Renouf did well and Dowler seemed to get the pace much better, did some nice things. Muston went much better and Thorpe showed plenty. Moss played ok and got decked third term (report). I thought Dawson was awful, and he definitely pulled out twice, and very noticeable too. Skills by foot were shocking, and the delivery to forwards apalling. Counted six clearing punches by their defence in five minutes from rain makers kicked to Little and co. Thurgood hardly got a touch and seemed to be where the ball aint all day. Got the impression a matrue head out there would have been useful. The coaching panel were yelling all day for players to pick up the likes of Ramanauskas who did as he liked. Not as good day for Box Hill Hawks and the coach has to be worried that the players didn't respond, especially in the last 1/4.

The coaching panel were yelling all day for players to pick up the likes of Ramanauskas who did as he liked. Not as good day for Box Hill Hawks and the coach has to be worried that the players didn't respond, especially in the last 1/4.

Agree with the mature head. Need more than one though. Can't see where the ball carriers are going to come from. Would like to see some of the stats for the onballers.

Box Hill: Bad signs!

I was down at Bendigo on Monday watching the Box Hill match and was left wondering how it all unravelled once again. As has been the case all season the Hawks were in the game only to surrender the lead and the game within half a quarter.

There's seems to be a real lack of fighting spirit amongst the side, whether it's the coach, young players or a combination of both? We've got the players on the park but they give up too easily. For e.g. the Bombers kicked 11 unanswered from the end of the third term to midway through the last. This isn't the first time either. the hawks were leading 66 to 61 midway through the third, and ended up losing by 70 odd points!

I've NEVER seen a side in so many contests, only to concede multiple streaks of goals (often in exess of ten, no joke!)

Whenever they are challenged they fall in a heap. We lost to the Scorpions by 129, Williamstown and Coburg by around 70 as well. This isn't a good sign for our young and up and coming players if they lack this quality because it directly opposes the ethos Clarko tries to instill amongst our playing group.

Re: Box Hill bad signs!

I was down at Bendigo on Monday watching the Box Hill match and was left wondering how it all unravelled once again. As has been the case all season the Hawks were in the game only to surrender the lead and the game within half a quarter.

There's seems to be a real lack of fighting spirit amongst the side, whether it's the coach, young players or a combination of both? We've got the players on the park but they give up too easily. For e.g. the Bombers kicked 11 unanswered from the end of the third term to midway through the last. This isn't the first time either. the hawks were leading 66 to 61 midway through the third, and ended up losing by 70 odd points!

I've NEVER seen a side in so many contests, only to concede multiple streaks of goals (often in exess of ten, no joke!)

Whenever they are challenged they fall in a heap. We lost to the Scorpions by 129, Williamstown and Coburg by around 70 as well. This isn't a good sign for our young and up and coming players if they lack this quality because it directly opposes the ethos Clarko tries to instill amongst our playing group.

Hmmm sounds like the Hawthorn FC circa 2004 -2006. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Box Hill vs Williamstown - Saturday, June 2, Box Hill City Oval

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.

That's the whole purpose behind the relationship, no?

since when did forming an alliance throw 'promotion based on merit' out the door?
box hill existed as a football club long before hawthorn started loaning them its fringe players - it has a purpose beyond powdering alistair clarkson's arse.
if a young player is ever going to become AFL material, they have to become VFL material first.

I was at the game and this is how I saw the performances of our guys:

Dawson - was good in the first quarter with some good spoils and did a good job mopping up down back. After 1/4 time he had his pants pulled down by Bradley, played on him all day, Bradley kicked 4 goals and missed a couple he should have got. Not strong enough in contested situations, his disposal was fine when he got the ball but it wasn't that often.

Muston - was good today playing out of a back pocket. Provided plenty of drive out of defense and I am assuming they are trying to develop the defensive side of his game. At times I think he forgot he was the backman and would run off and create and then forget to get back and pick up a man. Heighty was yelling at him all day to get back and pick up his man. Like I said provided a lot of run but he did miss targets by foot on a regular basis. I like his talk and encouragement of team mates, was yapping all day, gave Richie Cole a nice spray to when he pulled out of a contest.

Murphy - was not impressed with Murphy today, he was easilly out marked on at least 3 occasions, he needs to be stronger in the contests. He made a couple of really bad turn overs as well, I like Murph but today was not one of his better efforts. He will never develop into a KPP, he was out of his depth whenever he picked up a guy that was bigger than him.

Dowler - was good early (1st half) and presented really well at CHF. He covered a lot of territory presenting as far down as half back, similar to Riewoldt. He just doesn't like the body contact though and was easilly beaten when he had to push and shove with the defender. Went bak in the last 1/4 on to Cloke and got smashed both on the lead and in contested situations. Those who think he will be our savior at FB think again.

Thorp - Started the game on fire, took a really good pack mark to get the first goal and was good when he was on the lead. He kicked some really nice balls to leading forwards but just didn't do enough, a lack of match fitness really showed. I would have given the points to Johns who ran off Thorp on several occasions and delivered forward, he needs to do some work on his defensive pressure. Will get off the

Kennedy - dogs breakfast, looked slow, un fit and turned the ball over to often. His hands are really clean in tight, he rarely fumbles or double grabs at the ball but he just doesn't do enough with the pill. He was run off his legs all day.

Thurgood - ineffective, he got a bit of the football earlly but was hardly sighted for the rest of the day. Played forward all day except for the last 1/4 when he went back but like I said was hardly sighted.

Little - I'm a fan but he wasn't great, he chipped in with a couple of goals but he got a lot of footy just outside his range and came up short with 3 or 4 shots. His pace on the lead is great and he leads to the right spot but if his team mates don't look after him he can't get himself into the game. I would like to see them pinch hit him on the ball every now and then to see if he can work himself into the game.

Moss - didn't do a lot, he won his share of the footy but didn't use it well. He throws himself in which is good to see from a little guy just didn't hurt the opposition with his ball use. One really bad turnover in the 3rd when he tryed to kick across goal to Renouf and found the opposition 15m right in front cost us a goal that really got bendigo rolling along.

Renouf - took some good marks but I thought he was the least effective of our rucks today, Smith was the pick of them. I don't think he will develop as a ruck but he will as a key back or forward. His kicking isn't pretty but it usally gets the job done, except for one shot he sprayed from 20m right in front.

Gibson - ran hard but was not great, he kicked some good balls inside F50 but didn't get enough of the footy for my liking. Got a fairly short fuse he looked really frustrated when things weren't going his way, a few team mates copped sprays as well.

McEntee - always impressed with him, his ruck work is great and he has got a huge leap. He has great agility and wins a lot of ground footy for a big guy and he won a lot of hard footy. Doesn't take enough marks around the ground though, he dosen't position himself well around the ground. He tried to drop in the hole a few times but wasn't deep enough and the ball was delivered over his head, he doesn't run forward either which I would like to see him get more dangerous.

Tuck - was happy with Tucks game, he uses the ball really well and has a really cool head, never seems rushed. Had bursts in the middle but played mainly in defense, still needs a bit more match fitness. Although he used the ball well I would say that 80% of his kicks were short kicks which was fine because he didn't turn it over but I would like to see him kick more long balls.

I think thats all no Ellis, no Morton and I think Suckling and Collins were in the earlly game which I missed. I was really impressed with Richie Eva did a good job down back and then went forward in the last a provided a bit of a spark

Saw both matches today. Seniors started well but quickly surrendered their lead and seemed to struggle from there until grabbing a narrow lead in the 3rd quarter. Then got smashed in the final quarter. As we have seen in previous weeks, there seems to be a lack of self-pride and fighting spirit in this group of players. Why is this happening? There is a lot of talent on the field but little heart and very little fighting spirit. In a very unremarkable game, I thought Thorpe, Renouf and Smith were consistent triers. The rest were a rabble. The reserves returned to their previous good form with a sound 25 point win, which should have been much more but for some terrible inaccuracy in front of goal. Cookie excelled but desperately needs some goal kicking practice. Marguccio, Breese and King were always in the play and Kelleher again dominated in the backline with silky delivery skills and strong marking.

Skills in the Box Hill reserves games were appalling. Amazed Suckling wasn't listed amongst best. Hit a player with every possession and had plenty of them.

Skills in the Box Hill reserves games were appalling. Amazed Suckling wasn't listed amongst best. Hit a player with every possession and had plenty of them.

How did Mr. Collins (the real new James Hird of the Hawthorn footy club) go?

Muston - was good today playing out of a back pocket. Provided plenty of drive out of defense and I am assuming they are trying to develop the defensive side of his game. At times I think he forgot he was the backman and would run off and create and then forget to get back and pick up a man. Heighty was yelling at him all day to get back and pick up his man. Like I said provided a lot of run but he did miss targets by foot on a regular basis. I like his talk and encouragement of team mates, was yapping all day, gave Richie Cole a nice spray to when he pulled out of a contest.

Thanks for the write up Messenger.

For Musto the education continues. The club are working him overtime on his kicking and accountability. Could be easy for a lot of the youngsters to loose their way as we venture into June and July.
The season gets long and the weather get's cold. (even colder if you're getting beaten each week)
Good to hear Musto "talking it up" and making a real efforts to learn.

Plaued a half a game again as he did last week. Went ok. Finished with about 12+ possies from about 50 minutes of game time. Played across half forward for half of each quarter. Took soem contested marks on long leads and importantly kicked a lot on his non preferred left foot which was the one he injured. Slowly building up to a full game. Suckling also played very well off a half back and appeared to not have a man for most of the game. Knocked up getting kicks after quarter time and along with Collo used the ball well.

Fully agree Suckling had tonnes of it. Both Suckling and Collins disposal was by far better than other players from both sides. Nearly all of their disposals were effective, barely missed a target

Looking forward to seeing a Collos first full game next week maybe

Re: Box Hill: Bad signs!

I just put it down to most of our kids from the last 3 drafts are playing down there,with the exception of Zac Dawson and he was under age when we drafted him.So Zac,Murph and Matty Little would be the oldest Hawthorn listed kids there and kids are naturally inconsistent.I dare say Box Hill is going through what Hawthorn have in the previous couple of seasons.

yer collins was ok... look good last week...

Seemed to be carrying his foot,, just looked a touch slower.
Only 2nd game back tho,,, Used the ball well with both feet..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back