Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sandringham vs Box Hill - Sunday, June 17, Trevor Barker Oval

Thanks Dipper - Any updates on the hawthorn listed players? Particularly Thorp?

Thorpe is just a gun, ohh man he is the goods, he had a quiet second half because the rain started to poor down and Sandy preety much controlled the second half but when he did seem to touch it you thought anything could happen, he has a real presence about him, He took a nice mark in the goal square in the 1st, and i think he ended up with 4 goals for the match.

Muston, very nice pace and the good thing about it he actually used it, he was everywhere, kicking is a touch iffy, but the conditions wern't exactly great.

Dowler did some nice things, noticed he was led to the ball quite a bit, just doesn't seem to have any urgency in his game.

Thorpe is just a gun, ohh man he is the goods, he had a quiet second half because the rain started to poor down and Sandy preety much controlled the second half but when he did seem to touch it you thought anything could happen, he has a real presence about him, He took a nice mark in the goal square in the 1st, and i think he ended up with 4 goals for the match.

Muston, very nice pace and the good thing about it he actually used it, he was everywhere, kicking is a touch iffy, but the conditions wern't exactly great.

Dowler did some nice things, noticed he was led to the ball quite a bit, just doesn't seem to have any urgency in his game.

Cheers for that mate. How did kennedy, tuck, renouf and dawson fair?

WOW!

2007 TRUenergy VFL Seniors

Sandringham 2.2 6.9 7.14 8.20 (68)
Box Hill Hawks 8.4 11.5 12.8 12.11 (83)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Newton 3 Sautner 3 Pickett 2
Box Hill Hawks: Thorp 4 Little 2 McEntee Gibson Marguccio Tuck Breese Moss

BEST:
Sandringham: Warnock Pickett Whelan Summers Crowe Garland
Box Hill Hawks: Kennedy Renouf Thorp Breese Thurgood Smith

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Sandringham: J. Bode (Sandringham) for misconduct against G. Moss (Box Hill Hawks) in the 1st quarter.
Box Hill Hawks: Nil

It was a great win by the boys today. They showed a heap of spirit. For the hawthorn boys I thought Muston, Kennedy and Thorp were best.
Muston played on Poyas and beat him rebounded alot of half back seems to have his confidence back. Playing with alot of enthusiasm.
Kennedy won a heap of centre clearances and was good in close around the ground all game, the conditions suited him. Needs a year or two to get his body right and some more pace into his game.
Dowler started well apart from kicking into the man on the mark from ten metres out. His second efforts were a bit better today. Plays at CHF, will be a similar player to Hansen from West coast, still a couple of years away but worth persisting with.
Renouf was good, had clean hands and positioned himself well around the ground.
Tuck was serviceable, made a few poor decisions but is slowly getting match fitness.
Thorpe started well, but was limited in his opportunities in the second half. His hands are very clean and he plays with agression, he competes well when the ball hits the ground. Was cleaned up in the goal square and five minutes later felt the need to take out a Sandringham player. Certainly gets white line fever. Sometimes he seems to want to wrestle too much though and is a better player on the lead, should get his chance at some stage.

Little was ok. but wont make it IMO
Murphy was also serviceable, made a couple of mistakes but tried hard.
Thurgood was ok, always has a dip.
Dawson was ok, did his job on Sautner.
Moss is very clean and smart player not his best game today but was not disgrased.
Mcentee was also quite good when he was on and kicked an important goal in the third.

Seconds got beat today, only seen the last quarter so cant comment much. Collins played the first 3 quarters and is expecting to play a full game next week.

Alot of the hawthorn boys were down there, say McGlynn, Chance, Youngy, Birch and Xman. Good to see them supporting the younger players.

It was a great win by the boys today. They showed a heap of spirit. For the hawthorn boys I thought Muston, Kennedy and Thorp were best.
Muston played on Poyas and beat him rebounded alot of half back seems to have his confidence back. Playing with alot of enthusiasm.
Kennedy won a heap of centre clearances and was good in close around the ground all game, the conditions suited him. Needs a year or two to get his body right and some more pace into his game.
Dowler started well apart from kicking into the man on the mark from ten metres out. His second efforts were a bit better today. Plays at CHF, will be a similar player to Hansen from West coast, still a couple of years away but worth persisting with.
Tuck was serviceable, made a few poor decisions but is slowly getting match fitness.
Thorpe started well, but was limited in his opportunities in the second half. His hands are very clean and he plays with agression, he competes well when the ball hits the ground. Was cleaned up in the goal square and five minutes later felt the need to take out a Sandringham player. Certainly gets white line fever. Sometimes he seems to want to wrestle too much though and is a better player on the lead, should get his chance at some stage.

Moss is very clean and smart player not his best game today but was not disgrased.
Mcentee was also quite good when he was on and kicked an important goal in the third.

Seconds got beat today, only seen the last quarter so cant comment much. Collins played the first 3 quarters and is expecting to play a full game next week.

Alot of the hawthorn boys were down there, say McGlynn, Chance, Youngy, Birch and Xman. Good to see them supporting the younger players.
Much appreciated mate. Cheers for that. Good to hear about Muston and Thorp.

thanx a million for that report. I have been looking at various sites all over the place to get feedback of the game and found zilch.... cheers ......... maybe you should apply for a job on the bhh website for match reviews.

Great report Loyal Hawk :thumbsu:

Question: How did Nick Smith go? I keep seeing his name in amongst the best for BH each week.

thanx a million for that report. I have been looking at various sites all over the place to get feedback of the game and found zilch.... cheers ......... maybe you should apply for a job on the bhh website for match reviews.

There are match reviews. Every week.

As SK pointed out bak2bak, there are match reports posted every week on the BHH website - you just need to show a little patience for them to be uploaded!

I caught the train down to Sandy, having to ask the natives for directions to the ground. Left Croydon in sunny weather, even felt compelled to take my sunnies. Horizon to horizon cold front by the time I got off the train at Sandy and got drenched during the 10 minute walk to the ground from the station. Hawthorn listed players in the 2s were Morton, Collins and Suckling, saw Collins score his goal which eked of class, but then he formed part of the bench for the last change and didn't notice his return. My perception was that if the 2s had applied the same endeavour as was later shown by the 1sts, the ressies could have won too. Prominent BH players also playing for the 2s were Crook, Marcius, Barker and Daniher, and unless I'm seeing things, Evan Johnson did a double gig. Hawthorn watchers: DOWLER, easily the best game I've seen him play, constantly contributing an AGGRESSIVE presence ! My interperetation is that the best thing that's happened to/for him is the arrival and emergence of Mitch Thorp as a legitimate player of competition for Beau's role at Hawthorn. With these 2 blokes, Cookie will have to lift his mindset to force his way into the 1sts. I've seen the listed best as per the paper, this time I think they've got it right. Others with merit were Zac, Little, Moss, McEntee. The commitment of the Box Hill players to tough it out in freezing, wet conditions was fantastic eg. 3rd qtr I think it was Darren Bradshaw attempt an uncontested overhead mark and the wet heavy piece of inflated ice seemed to bust either fingers or his wrist, with him signalling the trainers immediately. Hawthorn has got some serious depth now. Box Hill having the Gooch, Breesey, Eva and Buchanan with Ball/Height to cover the midfield. These young blokes have some serious hunger and spirit. Add to that Moss. Last note here is Nick Smith. He should nominate for the draft again. He's only 23, 27/8/07. With Smithy, McEntee and Renouf, Christo has a fantastic rucking combination. Smith's ability in the ruck with his obvious ability at either chf or chb is something AC needs to take note of...198cm and 98kg....hello.

Box Hill insiders..............please advise injury update of BH list, because I didn't sight Hunter, Holmes, Allan, Batt, Hassett, Shore or Kelleher.

Box Hill insiders..............please advise injury update of BH list, because I didn't sight Hunter, Holmes, Allan, Batt, Hassett, Shore or Kelleher.

Hunter, Holmes, Allan, Batt and Hassett did not play.

Shore played in the ones (as number 5). Darren Bradshaw did not play.

Kelleher played for the ressies, Morton did not play ressies or seniors.

Evan Johnson only played in the ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter, Holmes, Allan, Batt and Hassett did not play.

Shore played in the ones (as number 5). Darren Bradshaw did not play.

Kelleher played for the ressies, Morton did not play ressies or seniors.

Evan Johnson only played in the ones.
Many thanks chuggg, that explains to me why Morton is shown as injured with quad trouble. Mebbe Kelleher was wearing his guernsey ? So is Shore just very sore from that attempted mark, or did the heavy conveyance do some damage ?

I Hawthorn listed players in the 2s were Morton, Collins and Suckling, saw Collins score his goal which eked of class, but then he formed part of the bench for the last change and didn't notice his return. My perception was that if the 2s had applied the same endeavour as was later shown by the 1sts,

Standard to 2's game was atrocious with poor decision making and disposal. We have one game plan going forward......kick it to Cook. Very hard to score when the opposition wakes up and has three players on him. Backline try to handball and run it out. Unfortunately we haven't the skill level to do it.

As SK pointed out bak2bak, there are match reports posted every week on the BHH website - you just need to show a little patience for them to be uploaded![/quote I understand and I wasn't having a go at anybody... anyway fellas there's nothing wrong with an extra report here and there. It was stated as a compliment to loyalhawk.

Bradshaw and brother have both left the club . . . Kris Shore seems to be the new number 5, at least he was on Sunday! Remember, Matt Ball's last match for the year this Sunday at City Oval, as he's heading overseas.

Bradshaw and brother have both left the club . . . Kris Shore seems to be the new number 5, at least he was on Sunday! Remember, Matt Ball's last match for the year this Sunday at City Oval, as he's heading overseas.

It could quite possibly be his last match for Box Hill. When he gets back mid-way through 2008, he won't be able to play for the Hawks for the rest of that year. Bally has said that he wants to return to playing some sort of footy when he returns; whether that will be for Box Hill in the VFL or for Old Xavs will be seen.
So he needs a big send-off, whatever happens!

sounds like we have ourselves the next dermott..

Box Hill vs Frankston, Sunday at City Oval

http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=257

ROUND 11 PREVIEW - BOX HILL VS FRANKSTON
Friday, 22 June 2007

By Tom Kelly

Round 11 sees giant-killers Box Hill return home to City Oval on Sunday to take on Frankston.

The Hawks will be looking to repeat their performance from last week, when they knocked off triple reigning-premiers Sandringham.

It will also be a chance for Box Hill to claim their second victory in a row, something the team hasn’t yet been able to achieve this year.

The Hawks came out fired-up against Sandringham, kicking eight goals to two in the first quarter.

The match changed thereafter when wet weather kicked in, with only three goals kicked after half time.

The eventual 15-point win, 12.11.83 to 8.20.68, came on the back of four goals from in-form forward Mitch Thorp and a dominant display from Josh Kennedy.

The match also saw the return to senior VFL football by midfielder Ryan Breese.

Breese, coming back from a serious knee injury sustained last year, was lively with 25 disposals, seven tackles and a goal.

He described the win as one of the best of his senior career.

“We just jumped on them really early,” Breese said, “I don’t think they expected it”.

“Heighty spoke to us (beforehand). I haven’t seen a team that pumped up before.”

Breese said that playing his first senior match for the year against a top team was challenging.

“It’s such a big step-up. You can’t explain how much the intensity changes from reserves to senior footy.”

Meanwhile, Frankston went down to the Coburg Tigers at Coburg, 10.5.65 to 13.12.90.

Noticeable games from Ashley Roberts and Myles Krakouer (two goals) weren’t enough for the Dolphins, who remained goal-less in the final quarter as the Tigers piled on six majors.

The Dolphins and Hawks occupy 10th and 11th places on the VFL ladder respectively, with only percentage separating the two teams.

The last time the sides met was in Round 16 of 2006, where Frankston won by 19 points at Frankston Oval.

Aaron Edwards kicked five goals for the victors, while Sam Gibson (four goals) and Ben Kane were the Hawks’ best.

Breese said that Frankston would pose a tough challenge, especially considering that Box Hill remains win-less at home for the season.

“They always trouble us,” he said. “They’re really physical – we can’t take them lightly.”

The reserves clash in the morning at the City Oval, with both sides coming off a loss last week.

The Hawks went down to Sandringham, 12.11.83 to 14.20.104, while the Dolphins lost to Coburg by three points.

The teams last met in the 2006 Preliminary Final, with eventual premiers Box Hill winning by 31 points on the back of six goals from Anthony Marguccio and four from Cameron Pedersen.

The reserves kick-off on Sunday at 11:10am at Box Hill City Oval, with the seniors starting at 2pm. The match will be dual best-and-fairest winner Matt Ball’s last home game before he goes overseas to study. Make sure you get down and support Bally and the brown and gold as they chase their second win in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Box Hill Season 2007

Remove this Banner Ad

Back