News Box Hill season 2022 news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 of the 16 BHH listed players who played in 2021 have signed up to play in 2022.
Stuart Horner and Damian Mascitti 10 games.
Vince Adduci, Hugh Beasley, Fergus Greene and Ed Phillips 9 games.
Mason De Wit 8 games.
Cal Porter 7 games.
James Blanck 3 games.
Jordan Cunico 2 games.
Charlie Beasley 1 game.
The 5 BHH listed players who played in 2021 and have moved on are:
Brayden Kilpatrick and Trent Mynott 7 games.
Elliot Le Grice 4 games.
Lachie Walker 3 games.
Josh Deluca 2 games.

I think the BHH have adequately covered the loss of the experienced players with the new signings of Ben Cavarra [Western Bulldogs 4 games], James Parsons [Geelong 35 games] and Jaylon Thorpe [Williamstown 29 games]. Also the club is currently in talks with a player who played over 20 AFL games [That's all I will divulge].

Yesterday Lachie Wynd looked promising kicking 2 goals in the Hawks 3 x 10 minutes match practice. Hopefully Jordan Cunico can enjoy an injury free run in 2022. Jordan and Josh Deluca were looking really good until they sustained serious hamstring injuries.

There is still no word about the 2022 VFL fixture.

Hugh Beasley to captain this year

Awesome! Didn't realise it would start so early. Hopefully some of the young kids/those returning from injury (maybe Gunston?) get a run! Any idea if 3WBC will broadcast, or do they only do actual season?

Reading between the lines we may get ex-Docker Brady Grey although it says his role at hawthorn is "non-playing"

Rest of the draw is out, but date/time and venue not locked in.

Of the 20 opposition sides we play 18, missing Brisbane and Williamstown.

First time in ages, we play Port Melbourne at Box Hill, Richmond too.

Key Points

• First home game: vs Carlton, round 2
  • Byes: rounds 4, 9, 13 and 19.
  • First ever matches against: GWS (round 15), Southport (round 16)
  • Interstate trips: Gold Coast (round 10), GWS Giants (round 15)
  • Rivalry rounds: Essendon A (round 7), Port Melbourne H (round 12), Geelong H (round 21)
Round 1Collingwood vs Box Hill27 March, 2022, 12pmHolden Centre
Round 2Box Hill vs CarltonWeekend April 1-3Home
Round 3Box Hill vs SandringhamWeekend April 8-10Home
Round 4BYE
Round 5Coburg vs Box HillWeekend April 22-24Away
Round 6Box Hill vs Casey DemonsWeekend April 29-May 1Home
Round 7Essendon vs Box HillWeekend May 6-8Away
Round 8Box Hill vs RichmondWeekend May 13-15Home
Round 9BYE
Round 10Gold Coast vs Box HillWeekend May 27-29Away
Round 11North Melbourne vs Box HillWeekend June 3-5Away
Round 12Box Hill vs Port MelbourneWeekend June 10-12Home
Round 13BYE
Round 14Footscray vs Box HillWeekend June 24-26Away
Round 15GWS vs Box HillWeekend July 1-3Away
Round 16Box Hill vs SouthportWeekend July 8-10Home
Round 17Box Hill vs WerribeeWeekend July 15-17Home
Round 18Northern Bullants vs Box HillWeekend July 22-24Away
Round 19 BYE
Round 20Frankston vs Box HillWeekend August 5-7Away
Round 21Box Hill vs GeelongWeekend August 12-14Home
Round 22Box Hill vs SydneyWeekend August 19-21

Key Points

• First home game: vs Carlton, round 2
  • Byes: rounds 4, 9, 13 and 19.
  • First ever matches against: GWS (round 15), Southport (round 16)
  • Interstate trips: Gold Coast (round 10), GWS Giants (round 15)
  • Rivalry rounds: Essendon A (round 7), Port Melbourne H (round 12), Geelong H (round 21)
Nice work. The 2 interstate trips coincide with Hawthorn also away to those two clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re the practice match this week - it's been incorporated into the HFC one.

8 BH listed players will play with Hawthorn in a 6 stanza (felt wrong saying quarters) game.
BH was set to play Carlton when HFC did also.

I see a few things being raised here - the number of byes and the combining of the travel interstate. I think these are potential C19 mitigations.

The extra byes give flexibility. Playing the same teams interstate means that entire squads travel, so if there are last minute emergencies due to c19 outbreaks the reserves around (though they're not exactly isolated...).

I see a few things being raised here - the number of byes and the combining of the travel interstate. I think these are potential C19 mitigations.at t

The extra byes give flexibility. Playing the same teams interstate means that entire squads travel, so if there are last minute emergencies due to c19 outbreaks the reserves around (though they're not exactly isolated...).
Makes sense. I wasn't looking at the draw as a whole and in relation to the AFL draw.

List update. Only 27 of 30 signed so still opportunity for more. Unsure where Brady Grey from the WAFL as mentioned above fits in yet, but clearly not finalised.

List overview

Ins: James Parsons (Carlton VFL), Ben Cavarra (Western Bulldogs), Jed Rule (Oakleigh Chargers), Jaylon Thorpe (Williamstown), Will Sexton (Oakleigh Chargers), Flynn Lakey (Calder Cannons), Campbell Tweedie (Old Brighton), Max Hall (Eastern Ranges), James O’Connor (Eastern Ranges), Lachlan Wynd (Rowville), Mason Hawkins (Gippsland Power), Liam Coughlan (Doncaster), Will Garner (Blackburn)

Re-signings: Mason De Wit, James Blanck, Jordan Cunico, Cal Porter, Ed Phillips, Hugh Beasley, Charlie Beasley, Fergus Greene, Vincent Adduci, Stu Horner, Luis D’Angelo, Damian Mascitti, Jake Arundell, Cayden Maki

Academy: Harry Banfield, Jack Hume, Sahaf Ali, Jack Rossimel, Jayden Eales

Outs: Brayden Kilpatrick, Lachie Walker, Riley Bowman, Josh Deluca, Mackenzie Doreian, Jesse Cucinotta, Trent Mynott, Mihaele Zalac, Chayce Black, Elliot Le Grice, Josh Le Grice, Jamieson Rossiter, Adrian Kalcovski, Trent Warren

Interesting no mention of Mitchell Sruk - although he's playing today.

Also no obvious ready-made ruckman on the list yet with Riley Bowman gone, although a couple of the kids are 198cm (Hawkins and Garner).

Also noticed Stephen Greene mentioned as head of Recruiting and Oppo. Be great if that's 'our' Stephen Greene - after a bit of a falling out it'd be great to see him to some extent back in the fold.

Last edited:
“The ensuing fifth and sixth terms saw the Hawks young talent and depth heavily outweigh the Pies, erasing a 48-point margin to level the scores with 20 seconds to go in the final term.”

Box Hill are going to be fun to watch this year.

11 of the 16 BHH listed players who played in 2021 have signed up to play in 2022.
Stuart Horner and Damian Mascitti 10 games.
Vince Adduci, Hugh Beasley, Fergus Greene and Ed Phillips 9 games.
Mason De Wit 8 games.
Cal Porter 7 games.
James Blanck 3 games.
Jordan Cunico 2 games.
Charlie Beasley 1 game.
The 5 BHH listed players who played in 2021 and have moved on are:
Brayden Kilpatrick and Trent Mynott 7 games.
Elliot Le Grice 4 games.
Lachie Walker 3 games.
Josh Deluca 2 games.

I think the BHH have adequately covered the loss of the experienced players with the new signings of Ben Cavarra [Western Bulldogs 4 games], James Parsons [Geelong 35 games] and Jaylon Thorpe [Williamstown 29 games]. Also the club is currently in talks with a player who played over 20 AFL games [That's all I will divulge].
The player I didn't divulge in my post on 29th January was Brady Grey. Brady was drafted from Tasmania by Freemantle with pick 58 in the 2013 AFL Draft and played 21 games over four seasons. He showed plenty of promise as a defensive small forward before shoulder, hamstring and ankle issues halted his AFL career. In 2021 he coached Freemantle's 15's NGA Squad and will be valuable as a coach as well as a player.

On Friday at Morwell Mitchell Sruk confirmed he had recently signed so 29 of the 30 list places have now been filled. The performances of our experienced recruits James Parsons and Jaylon Thorpe plus Cal Porter, Ed Phillips and Fergus Greene in the Hawthorn match simulations and the practice match against Collingwood has been very good. In addition new recruit Lachlan Wynd plus James Blanck have shown a lot of promise. It's likely Ben Cavarra has not been available due to work commitments.

I'm very confident the BHH will have a great season.

Ins: James Parsons (Carlton VFL), Ben Cavarra (Western Bulldogs), Jed Rule (Oakleigh Chargers), Jaylon Thorpe (Williamstown), Will Sexton (Oakleigh Chargers), Flynn Lakey (Calder Cannons), Campbell Tweedie (Old Brighton), Max Hall (Eastern Ranges), James O’Connor (Eastern Ranges), Lachlan Wynd (Rowville), Mason Hawkins (Gippsland Power), Liam Coughlan (Doncaster), Will Garner (Blackburn) Mitchell Sruk (Eastern Ranges), Brady Grey (Perth) [15]

Re-signings: Mason De Wit, James Blanck, Jordan Cunico, Cal Porter, Ed Phillips, Hugh Beasley, Charlie Beasley, Fergus Greene, Vincent Adduci, Stu Horner, Luis D’Angelo, Damian Mascitti, Jake Arundell, Cayden Maki [14]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back