News Box Hill season 2023 news thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been deleted :straining:
Never fear, google cache is here

BOX HILL HAWKS

18. Max Lynch, 24. Denver Grainger-Barras, 27. Ned Long, 33. Tyler Brockman, 39. Emerson Jeka, 40. Seamus Mitchell, 41. Josh Bennetts, 42. Bailey Macdonald, 43. Jack O’Sullivan, 44. Henry Hustwaite,
56. Kai Windsor, 59. Jed Rule, 61. Max Hall, 63. Lachlan Wynd, 64. Tristen Waack, 65. Ethan Stanley, 66. Callum Brown, 67. Darcy Murr, 68. Luis D’Angelo, 70. Jake Arundell, 71. Lachlan Bryce, 73. Max Walton, 75. Clay Tucker, 78. Kye Agosta, 80. Cody Bramble, 81. Sahaf Ali, 83. Harry Lloyd, 84. Sam Allen, 87. Kristian Zalac.

Box Hill playing Pies tomorrow at Olympic Park at 7pm. Named a much stronger side this week.

Great to see Jaylon Thorpe is going round again for Box Hill. Exciting player.

BOX HILL HAWKS

18.Max Lynch, 21.Cooper Stephens, 27.Ned Long, 29.Jai Serong, 33.Tyler Brockman, 37.Josh Weddle, 38.Max Ramsden, 39.Emerson Jeka, 40.Seamus Mitchell, 41.Josh Bennetts, 42.Bailey Macdonald, 43.Jack O’Sullivan, 51.Patrick Naish, 54.Joel Trudgeon, 57.Jaylon Thorpe, 59.Jed Rule, 61.Max Hall, 62.Stu Horner, 63.Lachlan Wynd, 64.Tristen Waack, 65.Ethan Stanley, 66.Callum Brown, 67.Darcy Murr, 71.Lachlan Bryce, 73.Max Walton, 74.Liam Coghlan, 78.Kye Agosta, 80.Mitchell Sruk, 85.Ed Phillips.

IN: Coghlan, Horner, Naish, Phillips, Ramsden, Serong, Sruk, Stephens, Thorpe, Trudgeon, Weddle
OUT: S.Ali, S.Allen, J.Arundell, C.Bramble, L.D’Angelo, H.Hustwaite, D.Grainger-Barras, H.Lloyd, C.Tucker, K.Windsor, K.Zalac.

Good win for the Hawks

From BHH twitter: 10.17 77 7.8 50 Full time. Great hit out! Lots of positives and things to work on. The perfect pre-season match. We’ll do a little bit of a match wrap before looking towards next week.

Some snippets from the tweet:
"Ned Long broke a couple tackles and found the mark with an instinctive left foot snap."

"Josh Bennetts has been lively. The youngster has popped up on transition a few times, been clean and made good decisions."

Ramsden and Serong got goals as well.

I couldn't get there either sadly Roger Rogerson only got home at 6:30pm last night. Kayo was gold as I watched the game from the start with no spoilers
I can’t get kayo overseas anyone know where I can see this replay? I do have fox and the afl app so fine for the year but super keen to see our young players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VFL Pies vs BHH
The game was played in good conditions although the lighting is poor. Without binoculars it would have been very difficult the identify players on the opposite side of the ground. The quarter by quarter scores were:
Pies - 2.2.14 / 4.3.27 / 5.4.34 / 7.8.50
BHH - 2.5.17 / 6.8.44 / 8.13.61 / 10.17.77
We controlled the game and the scores were 5.8.38 to 10.16.76 before the Pies kicked the last 2 goals. At least half the behinds could/should have been goals. What stood out was the way the players recognised team mates for pressure acts. There was a notable improvement in the connection between the HFC and BHH players compared to last week against Geelong.
My brief observations on the players:
Ned Long - BOG, played as an inside mid. He was strong winning contested ball, ran tirelessly and broke tackles to dispose of the ball. Kicked 2 very good goals and 1 behind. When he kicked our last goal it gave us the game high lead of 38 points.
Max Lynch - Competed strongly in the ruck, covered a lot of ground and took some contested marks back and forward. Played a really good game.
Seamus Mitchell - Stood out playing as an attacking rebounding defender. His ball handling was generally clean and his decision making and disposal are improving with every game. It's good to see he is finally getting some continuity after so many issues with injuries.
Josh Bennetts - Stood out with pace and some great run down strong tackles. His ball handling was generally clean and he nearly took some species and looks strong in the air for his size. If he made a mistake his second and third efforts were terrific.
Jai Serong - A good first game after being restricted by injury. He read the flight of the ball really well and cleverly outmanoeuvred opponents to win one on one contests. Highly skilled and is looking stronger so a bright prospect. Kicked 1 goal 3 behinds.
Bailey McDonald [Otter - possible nickname i.e OffToTheRaces] - Used his electric pace both defensively and offensively. He also halved a number of one on one contests against bigger opponents. Exciting to watch.
Cooper Stevens - Played as an inside mid and was good winning contested ball. Spread pretty well however at times he delayed his disposal and was dispossessed.
Max Ramsden - Did his fair share of the ruck work and competed well. Looked dangerous when flying for marks and was good at ground level. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds. Max is an exciting talent and potentially has the biggest upside of our many talented young players. I think he would have been a first round draft pick if he wasn't picked in the mid season draft. For what it's worth I also rated Henry Hustwaite as a first round pick along with Cam Mackenzie and Josh Weddle.
Josh Weddle - [Cliffie - possible nickname because like Cliff Young he just doesn't stop running]. Played a reasonable first half however he stood out in the second half with his power running and good pace. He's already good with his strength to break clear and his disposal on his non preferred left foot is an additional plus.
Emerson Jeka - Worked hard to provide an option and could have been rewarded more however the forward entries need improvement. Took some marks and created opportunities busting some packs when flying for marks. Kicked 1 goal 2 behinds.
Jack O'Sullivan - Was a lively small forward. He can compete well in marking contests and provides strong forward pressure with repeat efforts. Kicked 4 behinds.
Tyler Brockman - Worked his way into the game in the second half with some good chasing to apply pressure. He showed his clean ball handling, skill to evade and footy smarts. Kicked 1 goal.
BHH has recruited very well with Callum Brown, Patrick Naish and Joel Trudgeon all playing good games. It was terrific to see Jaylon Thorpe play after his injury interrupted 2022 season. Watching him flying for marks and creating a last second contest to spoil opponents was really good. He kicked 1 goal 1 behind. Our other goal kickers were Ethan Stanley, Joel Trudgeon and Max Hall.
Max Hall, Lachie Wynd, Lachlan Bryce and Mitch Sruk only played in the second half. Mitch was good with around 15 disposals.
Hugh Beasley, Cal Porter, Damien Mascitti and Ben Cavarra didn't play. Cal broke his hand when training with the Hawks and hopes to play in round 1.
EDIT. Corrected goalkickers to include Ethan Stanley, not Liam Purcell.

Last edited:
Josh Bennetts - he nearly took some species
I was surprised that he drifted when we drafted him. I thought he was a natural selection.

(Sorry, HH, just had to do it ;) )

Last edited:
BHH praccy match tomorrow? Tweet from a journo saying Harry Morrison will play VFL Friday to prove himself for round1.

Team named. No Morrison interestingly

BOX HILL HAWKS
21.Cooper Stephens, 30.Sam Butler, 39.Emerson Jeka,
51.Patrick Naish, 54.Joel Trudgeon, 55.Callum Porter, 56.Kai Windsor, 57.Jaylon Thorpe, 58.Liam Serong, 59.Jed Rule, 60.Cody Bramble, 61.Max Hall, 63.Lachlan Wynd, 64.Tristen Waack, 65.Ethan Stanley, 67.Darcy Murr, 68.Luis D’Angelo, 70.Jake Arundell, 71.Lachlan Bryce, 72.Tex Marsham, 73.Max Walton, 74.Liam Coghlan, 75.Clay Tucker, 78.Kye Agosta, 80.Mitchell Sruk, 81.Sahaf Ali, 85.Ed Phillips

IN: Ali, Arundell, C.Bramble, D’Angelo, Marsham, Porter, L.Serong, Windsor
OUT: J.Bennetts, T.Brockman, C.Brown, S.Horner, N.Long, M.Lynch, B.Macdonald, S.Mitchell, J.O’Sullivan, M.Ramsden, J.Serong, J.Weddle

Last edited:
Porter and Beasley joint captains. Horner VC

Seems to be a hard thing to get a actual VFL (or VFLW for that matter) player list.

With guys like Liam Serong only officially announced last week, some things still in flux.

On your comment Stem could have sworn I saw Mascitti still in the training videos.

Team named. No Morrison interestingly

BOX HILL HAWKS
21.Cooper Stephens, 30.Sam Butler, 39.Emerson Jeka,
51.Patrick Naish, 54.Joel Trudgeon, 55.Callum Porter, 56.Kai Windsor, 57.Jaylon Thorpe, 58.Liam Serong, 59.Jed Rule, 60.Cody Bramble, 61.Max Hall, 63.Lachlan Wynd, 64.Tristen Waack, 65.Ethan Stanley, 67.Darcy Murr, 68.Luis D’Angelo, 70.Jake Arundell, 71.Lachlan Bryce, 72.Tex Marsham, 73.Max Walton, 74.Liam Coghlan, 75.Clay Tucker, 78.Kye Agosta, 80.Mitchell Sruk, 81.Sahaf Ali, 85.Ed Phillips

IN: Ali, Arundell, C.Bramble, D’Angelo, Marsham, Porter, L.Serong, Windsor
OUT: J.Bennetts, T.Brockman, C.Brown, S.Horner, N.Long, M.Lynch, B.Macdonald, S.Mitchell, J.O’Sullivan, M.Ramsden, J.Serong, J.Weddle
Old Hawks James Cousins, Mat Walker and Harry Jones lining up for the oppo, Williamstown.

Seems to be a hard thing to get a actual VFL (or VFLW for that matter) player list.

With guys like Liam Serong only officially announced last week, some things still in flux.

On your comment Stem could have sworn I saw Mascitti still in the training videos.
Best I can make out - with still some gaps to be filled
50​
Mascitti, Damian
67​
Murr, Darcy
51​
Naish, Patrick
68​
D'Angelo, Luis
52​
Cavarra, Ben
70​